The simFlight Network Forums

RunIf1=KILL seems not to work properly after update to 4.957b

Good day,
I have recently updated from FSUIPC 4.9.555 to 4.957b. FSUIPC.ini remained unchanged.
Before the update linda.exe was started and closed with the start / shutdown of P3D through FSUIPC.
After the update linda.exe is started with P3D but after shutdown of P3D not terminated. During shutdown I can see on the top of the LINDA window for a very short period the message “Linda not responding”

The code in FSUIPC.ini is

[Programs]
RunIf1=KILL,C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Modules\linda.exe

My system
Master:
Intel i7 CPU X980 4GHz ;12GB RAM; CSX SSD 1200 240GB x GeForce GTX Titan 372.70 2 screens 1920x1080
Sound Creative Sound Blaster SB X_Fi driver 6.0.1.1376
Win10.Pro V1607 14393.222 64bit;
Slave:
Intel Quad Q 8400 2,66 GHz; 8GB RAM; graphic card INTEL Q45/Q43 Express Chipset
Win10.Pro V1607 14393.222 64bit;

Software Running:
on Master P3D v3.4.9.18400 PMDG 777 & 738 , FSUIPC 4.957b, LINDA 2.8.3 ,IVAP 2.0.2.2773, FS2Crew 777 & 738, RAAS Pro
on Slave, ASN 1.0.6107.16151, IVAP 2.0.2.2773

Has anyone an idea what I could do to solve this?
I am not certain if this has to do with FSUIPC or if this coming from the numerous WIN 10 updates.
Thanks a lot Stefan

7 minutes ago, Stefan01 said:

I have recently updated from FSUIPC 4.9.555 to 4.957b. FSUIPC.ini remained unchanged.
Before the update linda.exe was started and closed with the start / shutdown of P3D through FSUIPC.
After the update linda.exe is started with P3D but after shutdown of P3D not terminated.

There's been no change whatsoever in this area.

"RunIf" options can only operate IF FSUIPC did actually start the program. It sounds like the program was already running when FS started, so that the "if" operated and FSUIPC did nothing.

If you are going to use "KILL" please use "Run1=" not "RunIfi=". It makes no sense with RunIf to have FSUIPC try to CLOSE or KILL it.

Pete

Hi Pete,
thanks for your quick reply.
I have changed the ini to run1=KILL,C:.......
Than I signed out from WIN 10, signed in again to be sure that no app is running.
Than I started P3D and this started LINDA through FSUIPC.
When I shut down P3D Linda window remains open and I have for a short period the message "LINDA not responding"
To close LINDA I have to do it manually.
Before that Linda was always closed a few seconds after the P3D window disappeared.
thanks again
Stefan

3 minutes ago, Stefan01 said:

When I shut down P3D Linda window remains open and I have for a short period the message "LINDA not responding"
To close LINDA I have to do it manually.
Before that Linda was always closed a few seconds after the P3D window disappeared.

How do you "do it manually"?

Does LINDA start up another program, or is LINDA.EXE always the process name and its initial Window stays opens? 

I suspect something else it stopping LINDA terminating, even forcibly, at that time.

Is LINDA not written to terminate normally? Can it not close itself?

The KILL parameter still certainly works fine. I use it every day.

Pete

Up to now the KILL command for LINDA.exe worked fine. That means when P3D was shut down after a few seconds the LINDA.EXE app was also terminated throug the KILL command.
LINDA.EXE does not start another programm as far as I know and I did not change anything regarding this app.

Manually means after P3D is terminated I make a mouse click on the red cross on the upper right corner of the LINDA window, than LINDA.exe is closing.

Is it possible to downgrade to FSUIPC 4.9.555 running the installer of 4.9.555 to find out if this changes the situation?
Or can I do something else to find out why the KILL command is ignored?

Stefan

3 hours ago, Stefan01 said:

Up to now the KILL command for LINDA.exe worked fine. That means when P3D was shut down after a few seconds the LINDA.EXE app was also terminated throug the KILL command.

Apart from updating to 4.957b, what else changed? Are you still on an old version of P3D?

Manually means after P3D is terminated I make a mouse click on the red cross on the upper right corner of the LINDA window, than LINDA.exe is closing.

If it closes using the Close button, then why are you trying to KILL it instead? "KILL" replicates what Task Manager does when you use it to end the process. It is ruthless and saves nothing. Why aren't you using "CLOSE"?

Is it possible to downgrade to FSUIPC 4.9.555 running the installer of 4.9.555 to find out if this changes the situation?

Not easily. I don't have that version. And honestly I don't think that's it.

I can look at adding some extra logging to see exactly what is done to the process. But it is more important to know what version of P3D you are using, and if not the latest, why not. Most of the termination problems with P3D have now been eradicated and by default with P3D 3.4 FSUIPC now does close SimConnect. Maybe that timing difference has affected the way LINDA behaves.  You can make FSUIPC avoid calling SimConnect close by adding

CallSimConnectEnd=No

Or, conversely, force it to by

CallSimConnectEnd=Yes

By default it depends on the version of P3D.

Pete

Here's an interim update. FSUIPC4957d.zip
Please copy it into your Modules folder. Then edit the FSUIPC4.INI file, adding these lines to the [General] section:

Debug=Please
LogExtras=4

This will produce some extra logging when you close P3D. Here's an example from my system, with a program "FSInterrogate" successfully killed:

383247 === DLLStop called ...
   383263 About to KILL process "\Device\HarddiskVolume6\FSInterrogate2\FSInterrogate2std.exe"
   383263 === About to kill my timers ...
   383466 === Restoring window procs ...
   383466 === Unloading libraries ...
   383466 === stopping other threads ...
   386071 === Calling SimConnect_Close ...
   386258 === SimConnect_Close done!
   386258 === AI slots deleted!
   386274 === Freeing button memory ...
   386274 === Closing my Windows ...
   386274 === Freeing FS libraries ...
   387288 === Closing devices ...
   387288 === Closing the Log ... Bye Bye! ...
   387288 System time = 02/10/2016 12:31:49, Simulator time = 12:23:15 (12:23Z)
   387288 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

If the KILL attempt fails there will be different messages giving error information, so we can see what it going on. Please post the entire log so I can check the loading process as well.

Please note that after this evening I will be off-line for two weeks -- back October 17th, so I'm sorry I'll be of no further help till then.

Pete

P3D v3.4.9.18400
I have placed the CallSim... line in the section [General]
CallSimConnectEnd=No
CallSimConnectEnd=Yes
Makes no difference
When I exit P3D I can see in the task manager when P3D Symbol disappears a few seconds later behind the LINDA symbol the message “Not responding” in red for a short while.
I also set Linda.exe to WIN 7 compatibility mode, nothing changed
Stefan

You didn't say why you use "KILL" instead of the kinder "CLOSE", which is how you close it manually.

I can't really help further till I see the log as per previous message. The KILL facility is most certainly working fine, so there's something odd and more information is needed -- hence all the extra logging I've added for you to get!

Pete

35 minutes ago, Stefan01 said:

P3D Symbol disappears a few seconds later behind the LINDA symbol the message “Not responding” in red for a short while.

I suspect this is just LINDA complaining that FSUIPC is not responding.

Please see previous message(s).

Pete

36 minutes ago, Stefan01 said:

I tried to upload the log but dont know if I was sucessfull

Best usually just to paste the contents of the file into a message.

22 minutes ago, Stefan01 said:

This matter is not urgent it is more or less a question of comfort.

Is this the complete log, after P3D appeared to finish? If so then the log shows precisely what the problem is -- FSUIPC never terminates, which means the P3D process is not terminating either. It is still running, presumably hung. Check in the Windows Task Manager.

If it isn't listed as a running process, then the log you posted is not the final one. I would need to see the log after P3D is properly closed.

Pete

This is the log after P3D was terminated and LINDA was terminated (manually 60seconds after P3D ). I have checked this with task manager. When Linda was running after P3D was terminated I was not able to cut and paste the FSUIPC.log file because LINDA blocked it. After LINDA was closed I was able to cut and paste the lof file.

I also enclosed the FSUIPC.ini

Stefan

FSUIPC4.log

FSUIPC4.ini

When Linda was running after P3D was terminated I was not able to cut and paste the FSUIPC.log file because LINDA blocked it. After LINDA was closed I was able to cut and paste the lof file.

There's no way any program should be able to "block" access to any text file. Maybe what you mean is that you were using an edit program which doesn't "share" open files (Uedit32, the one I use, can read the log at any time).

But it isn't LINDA which is blocking it, but the fact that P3D was still running. It is something LINDA is doing which is preventing P3D from closing down. Just because you see the P3D window disappear does NOT mean it is closed -- it will still be running, as a process, for many seconds after this.

The Log most certainly shows that P3D is NOT terminating! FSUIPC ihas not terminated The log is not complete! If you are sure there's no Process called Prepar3D when you looked in Task Manager (and I do find that very hard to believe -- look in the Processes tab, not the Applications one), then P3D has crashed instead You need to get details from the Windows Event Viewer.

You need LINDA support to work out what LINDA is doing which can stop P3D closing or make it crash. That is the problem. It is nothing at all to do with FSUIPC's "KILL" facility -- FSUIPC isn't getting that far. P3D is hanging or crashing beforehand.

My guess would be something to do with DirectInput or some other one of your devices or their drivers. You seem to have a lot of logging showing VRI devices on COM3,, plus Saitek panels, etc etc. Try eliminating all of these then add them back one at a time to see which is causing problems.

BTW why is there so much stuff in the Log from LINDA? Can't you turn that off?

This will be my last reply for 2 weeks. Off soon ...

Pete

You are right. When i terminate P3D it seems to crash. In the event viewer I get the information that P3D crashed. This is not visble but it seems that during the shut down an unhandled exception occurs which crashes the app.
Thanks for your help
Stefan

Sorry but I don t know how to switch off the LINDA logging to FSUIPC.log
Knowing that P3d is crashing during shutdown I made one more tests.
I removed the line
Run1=KILL,C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Modules\linda.exe
From FSUIPC.ini
Than I started P3D and after that LINDA.exe with mouse click. I closed first LINDA and then P3D.The result P3D is also crash during shutdown as I could see in the event viewer. So it seems that the crash has nothing to do with FSUIPC.
Stefan

• 5 weeks later...