The simFlight Network Forums

Helicopter Controls

Hi Pete,

I was wondering if you might be able to help me, and I hope I'm not repeating a question that has been asked previously, I have done a search and not found what I'm looking for.

Is there any way that I can create a more accurate control system for Helicopters in P3D?  I'd like to have a separate control for the Collective and the Throttle is this possible using FSUIPC?

I've looked in the available axis options in FSUIPC but haven't seen one for the Collective just Throttles which in the model operate the Collective.

Ultimately I suspect it's all down to how the model was configured by the manufacturer  but I thought it was worth asking. 

Thanks in advance,

Ian

28 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

Is there any way that I can create a more accurate control system for Helicopters in P3D?  I'd like to have a separate control for the Collective and the Throttle is this possible using FSUIPC?

I've looked in the available axis options in FSUIPC but haven't seen one for the Collective just Throttles which in the model operate the Collective.

The assignment options in FSUIPC are mostly not FSUIPC's, but the ones listed by P3D. It just happens to list all of them, and by their internal names,  FS/P3D has never had any controls specifically named for helicopters, but the help provided with the program should have the details.

Last time I looked helicopter implementations in FS, if actually implemented as a helicopter (rather than, as some were, as aircraft with extremely low stall speeds), then I seem to remember that the helo's throttle control is operated by the prop pitch axis in the sim, whilst the collective is operated by the throttle axis. So, yes, you use the throttle axis as you seemed to know already. Don't get tied to the names of controls. All of the control axes operate exactly the same, so the Throttle could be named "Throttle/Collective", except it isn't.

Pete