The simFlight Network Forums

Make Runway - Exclude Scenery Layers

Hi!

I wonder if there is any chance of letting "make runways" only PARTIALLY scan the scenery.cfg of my FSX:SE?

The reason for this demand is: I only activate the Sceneries I use for my planned flight (Dep, Dest, Altn, ...) due to performance reasons. My "problem" is, that I have ORBX Vector installed, which increases the duration of the scan quite a lot. Just tested and it was more than 10 minutes... Exluding these 5 layers from the scan would be VERY helpful.

Any idea how to manage that?

best rgrds, Benni

28 minutes ago, Benni T. said:

My "problem" is, that I have ORBX Vector installed, which increases the duration of the scan quite a lot. Just tested and it was more than 10 minutes..

Really? They must be really badly organised on the disk. I have ORBX Vector and it takes no more than any other.  I have over 600 layers in my CFG file and it takes just a couple of minutes altogether.

Exluding these 5 layers from the scan would be VERY helpful.

Just have two Scenery.CFGs, one with those disabled, and rename them before and after any scan. You could even do that in a straight-forward Windows five line BAT file.

BTW, regarding this:

The reason for this demand is: I only activate the Sceneries I use for my planned flight (Dep, Dest, Altn, ...) due to performance reasons.

I have never understood why folks do this. The only thing it seems to do is speed up the initial loading of the sim. Once it is fully loaded I find no performance differences with a reduced set of scenery layers, unless of course any of the disabled ones directly affect your route.

Pete

15 minutes ago, walterzach1158 said:

it´s about the VAS Usage, flying above an huge Data intensive Airport your VAS would badly increase!?

And you'd prefer not to be able to see scenery below you? And not have the traffic from / to that airport, except that little the default would allow?

The VAS usage would decrease again once past. At least it does in FSX-SE and the latter editions of P3D.

Pete

Hi!

Thanks for your replies so far. Removing "unused" Airports from scenery.cfg indeed speeds up initial loading of FSX. And it solved some 10-minutes-freezing problems I faced when using 'old' FSX . Maybe it's not necessary with FSX:SE. I should give this a try! 

How can I opimize the organisation of my ORBX files on the disk? 

rgrds, Benni 

35 minutes ago, Benni T. said:

How can I opimize the organisation of my ORBX files on the disk? 

On disk? Are they all fragmented and spread all over? 

If you are using SSDs, leave well along. If not, run a good defragmenter.

35 minutes ago, Benni T. said:

And it solved some 10-minutes-freezing problems I faced when using 'old' FSX .

10 minute freezes!!! You definitely have something really wrong there then. Nothing can take 10 minutes to load without there being a serious problem! Is is streaming over a very slow internet connection each time?

Rather than just remove things willy-nilly you should have tried to do a process of elimination to see where the one culprit file was, one which is probably corrupt. Or, probably quicker, use Process Monitor (ProcMon) to log all the file accesses and see where the 10 minutes comes in.

Pete