The simFlight Network Forums

Throttle 3 giving odd output

Hi, let me try to explain this: I have a trim wheel on my logitech g940 (the rotary dial on the base of the flightstick). I have it set as throttle 3 to use as the tiller in Aerosoft's Airbus 318. It seems to work, but sometimes I can't turn right (clockwise).

In FSUIPC I have it set to a normal axis.The reverse side does not seem to go further than 4096. That's probably by design, but I think it affects the steering.

So how can I get the full range (-16383 to 16383) into flight simulator so the tiller works fully in both directions?

1 hour ago, SherlockHolmes said:

Hi, let me try to explain this: I have a trim wheel on my logitech g940 (the rotary dial on the base of the flightstick). I have it set as throttle 3 to use as the tiller in Aerosoft's Airbus 318. It seems to work, but sometimes I can't turn right (clockwise).

In FSUIPC I have it set to a normal axis.The reverse side does not seem to go further than 4096. That's probably by design, but I think it affects the steering.

Do you mean -4096? If so, that sounds like a throttle assignment. The maximum reverse for a throttle is -4096 (25% power).

So how can I get the full range (-16383 to 16383) into flight simulator so the tiller works fully in both directions?

Proper calibration in FSUIPC. For all axis controls EXCEPT throttles, the target of the calibration is to get you to -16384 to +16383 no matter what the input from your device. Apart from the proper positioning of the centre, that is all it does. That's its target!

Pete

Yes it is a throttle assignment. That is hardcoded in the Aerosoft Airbus as the "steering tiller".

Really? That's really stupid, when there's already a "Steering Set" control in FSX and P3D designed for the purpose.

Sorry, but there's no way in FSUIPC to make a throttle assignment send a negative value more negative than -4096.if it is calibrated. You could try with no calibration, but no other way certainly.

I'm sure the Aerosoft Airbus hasn't just been released. So why has no one else ever reported this problem? I think you should double check that so-called hard-coding, because it really makes no sense.

Pete

8 hours ago, SherlockHolmes said:

They claim that the "Tiller steering" axis is just another rudder axis or something. They should have at least used propeller 4 axis or something.

You could try using FSUIPC's steering tiller (in the ""direct to calibration" drop-down), which does use the rudder input but can be calibrated separately from the rudder axis to give more sensitivity, Also this, along with rudder assignment and calibration, lets FSUIPC gradually transfer rudder control between the two axes according to ground speed, making for quite a realistic feel.

Pete

Oh, I was wondering how that worked, thanks!

I does seem the problem went away as long as I don't calibrate the axis. Unfortunately, the whole of the documentation for their product is lacking. Like the step-by-step tutorial flight is very hand holding and I landed fine the first try- but they have you punching in some numbers without explaining why they are using those numbers. It would be nice if they explained why.