The simFlight Network Forums

4.965 keeps generating new ini file

Hi all,

Using FSX-SE with W10

I just upgraded to 4.965 as I was having issues with adding a second Bodnar card. I deleted the newly generated FSUIPC4.ini  and renamed my backup to FSUIPC4.ini. However the new FSUIPC4 keeps regenerating a new ini file and seems to want to only see the new one.  When looking to the Modules folder I see two FSUIPC.ini files both spelled exactly the same, one being my old ini and the other the freshly generated ini.  It only looks to the freshly generated ini so of course, all my settings and profiles aren't seen. 

How can I stop the 4.965 from regenerating new ini files and look to my previous ini?

1 minute ago, burdman said:

However the new FSUIPC4 keeps regenerating a new ini file and seems to want to only see the new one.  When looking to the Modules folder I see two FSUIPC.ini files both spelled exactly the same, one being my old ini and the other the freshly generated ini.

You absolutely CANNOT have two files in any folder with exactly the same name. There's no way it can be done -- Windows simply doesn't allow it. One of those files is NOT the used INI file, but a file with a different name.

Yes, FSUIPC reads your INI file, annotates the assignments section with descriptions of what they do, and adds its version number, FS's version number and SimConnect's version number to the [General] section (for better diagnosis of problems when folks send the files to me), updates the [JoyNames] section to reflect current reality, then writes it back. It doesn't change any of your settings.

5 minutes ago, burdman said:

It only looks to the freshly generated ini so of course, all my settings and profiles aren't seen. 

You "original" INI is not named FSUIPC4.INI file then. The so-called "freshly generated" INI is the same INI as it read on previous loading with the changes I just mentioned.

Going back to what you said at the beginning:

7 minutes ago, burdman said:

I just upgraded to 4.965 as I was having issues with adding a second Bodnar card. I deleted the newly generated FSUIPC4.ini  and renamed my backup to FSUIPC4.ini.

You did the wrong thing there in any case. Installing an update does not touch ANY files in the Modules folder except the FSUIPC4.DLL and the documents etc in the FSUIPC Documents folder. If you re-register it will also make a new FSUIPC4.KEY file. Absolutely nothing else. It will load with all your settings exactly as before.

I suspect your backup folder is not truly named FSUIPC4.INI and this is what is confusing you.

Pete

Hi Pete,

You were absolutely correct. I looked and looked but I guess that's why I have new glasses on order. There was a space after the 4 and before the .ini. All good in that aspect now. Thanks for pointing me in the proper direction.

Ed