The simFlight Network Forums

Stumped by a PFC throttle quad

Greetings, Pete

Thanks first, for your work.

Now. I have PFC flight equipment, yoke, rudders and throttle. The PFC throttle quad works with a USB connection in P3v3 using FSUIPC4.  Reading The manuals and trying to figure out what is not happening, I am stumped trying to use it P3Dv4  using FSUIPC5.10, latest edition. Using the PFC program via the FSUIPC add on in the Flight sim,  I see the Com1 port on my computer,but the PFC throttle  is not located.  I did not have a physical COM port out of my computer, which now I  bought a PCI-e card which has COM 3,4. The COM 3 port is recognized by FSUIPC5. By using an adapter from the USB to the COM3 port, the PFC throttle  is still  not recognized by my computer nor FSUIPC5.  Am I reading correctly that to hook up to a COM port is the way to use the throttle?  I have looked on line to find a way to emulate the USB to a COM port, I have no idea what they are talking about. 
If you have any ideas I will welcome them.
Thank You.
Wayne L Pierce

Edited by waynelp
add more info

7 hours ago, waynelp said:

Now. I have PFC flight equipment, yoke, rudders and throttle. The PFC throttle quad works with a USB connection in P3v3 using FSUIPC4.  Reading The manuals and trying to figure out what is not happening, I am stumped trying to use it P3Dv4  using FSUIPC5.10, latest edition. Using the PFC program via the FSUIPC add on in the Flight sim

FSUIPC5 is now already up to version 5.101k which you can get from the Download Links subforum above.  It is a busy time and it is being developed all the time. You are unlikely to get many addons working with 5.10.

If your PDC Quadrant needed the PFChid.DLL on earlier 32-bits sims, it needs PFChid64.DLL for P3D4, because 32-bit DLLs will not run in a 64 bit process!

Please do keep an eye on the Download Links subforum. Both FSUIPC and P3D4 are still being developed and there will be frequet changes.

I see the Com1 port on my computer,but the PFC throttle  is not located.  I did not have a physical COM port out of my computer, which now I  bought a PCI-e card which has COM 3,4. The COM 3 port is recognized by FSUIPC5. By using an adapter from the USB to the COM3 port, the PFC throttle  is still  not recognized by my computer nor FSUIPC5.  Am I reading correctly that to hook up to a COM port is the way to use the throttle?

Now you confuse me. If the throttle quadrant is a genuine USB device then it will either work directly with simulators, or it will need PFChid64.DLL,

On the other hand if it is one of the original serial port devices from PFC it will need PFCcom64.dll instead.

Don't you know what you've got?

I have looked on line to find a way to emulate the USB to a COM port, I have no idea what they are talking about. 

Did you not get ANY information about the PFC stuff you have? Have you never used it before?

I cannot support the hardware myself. I support my programs.

Pete

Thanks for responding Pete.  I realize the hardware is not  what this is about.

I Have the older PFC hardware, A yoke and rudder pedals at 9 years +. They do not make them anymore and no support for them either. Those work fine as they are plug-n-use devices.

I have your latest and greatest downloads in place. I am always up to date on them.  The reports in FSUIPC all recognize it as being a joystick, but the PFC control panel and the set up for PFC thru the Flight Sim "add on" menu will not recognize it.  My question was did I need to hook it up to a COM port to use it and not use the USB connection it has.

While typing this I made a test for my FS computer and found;

I am using only P3Dv4 addons;  Scenery for P3Dv4.  Aircraft is PDG 747 and default.  I rolled back the FSUIPC5 to 5.101g and it works on my system as designed. Any later version and no joy.  The PFC quad, pedals and yoke all work now

Thanks Pete for your work again. I will keep trying the updates and it will get better.

Thank You, Wayne L Pierce

2 minutes ago, waynelp said:

The reports in FSUIPC all recognize it as being a joystick,

Er, FSUIPC recognises what as being a joystick? If all those devices are the old COM port style ones then FSUIPC will NOT see them as joysticks because they don't register in Windows as such devices!

3 minutes ago, waynelp said:

but the PFC control panel and the set up for PFC thru the Flight Sim "add on" menu will not recognize it.

What PFC control panel? Have you installed PFCcom64.dll into the Modules folder? If your devices are USB devices then they are either seen by Windows as joysticks (as you say for at least one of them), or you need PFChid64.dll, not the COM DLL! Perhas you need PFChid64.dll 

9 minutes ago, waynelp said:

My question was did I need to hook it up to a COM port to use it and not use the USB connection it has.

You never need a true COM port these days. If your devices are COM devices there would have been an appropriate port driver supplied with them.

10 minutes ago, waynelp said:

I rolled back the FSUIPC5 to 5.101g and it works on my system as designed. Any later version and no joy.  The PFC quad, pedals and yoke all work now

I cannot support you if you stay with 5.101g. There' been no change which will upset what you have with that.  You do not supply enough information, as you didn't before!vLike WHAT DLL 's are you using?

Pete

Pete. It is working now,  I started out asking a simple question; If the PFC Quadrant Throttle needed to be connected to the COM 1 port.   I am satisfied that it is working.

I really thank you for making available your FSUIPC  to us.   I consider this a resolved issue now.

Thank You, I really mean it.

Wayne