The simFlight Network Forums

saitek X45 joystick and AILERON TRIM

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi Peter,

I 've got a saitek X45 joystick. It has got 2 rotaries; I've mapped one of them as ELEV TRIM AXIS under the FS assignments-AXIS menu.

I've then noticed there isn't an AILERON TRIM AXIS I could map the other rotary to.

Under FSUIPC I noticed under the seventh joystick menu it is possible to map some axis to RUDDER and AILERON TRIMS. How can I assign the rotary (it is called 'rotary 2') to the AILERON TRIM AXIS in the FSUIPC menus?

(If I rotate the rotary while in the fsuipc menu, the numbers showing the joystick coordinates don't update, they're steady on 0.

I know the rotary 2 is working fine because I can still assign it to anything I want under the fs assignments-AXIS menu and it would work fine.

thanks a lot

Luca

Under FSUIPC I noticed under the seventh joystick menu it is possible to map some axis to RUDDER and AILERON TRIMS. How can I assign the rotary (it is called 'rotary 2') to the AILERON TRIM AXIS in the FSUIPC menus?

Because FS doesn't offer any AXIS controls for rudder and aileron trim, you have to assign your axes to some other axis controls (ones you don't need), then tell FSUIPC which they are, via the FSUIPC.INI file. Details of this are found in the Advanced Users guide, in the section "Assignment of additional controls".

This uses the numbers of the controls, not the names. You will see a few of the more likely ones listed in the document. For a full list see http://www.schiratti.com/dowson

Regards,

Pete

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Peter,

I does work!!

just a little tip:

I tried to assign the rotary to one of the spare (not used) fs commands

"AXIS_RIGHT_BRAKE_SET" and once linked it to the fsuipc RUDDER TRIM

the airplane only trimmed to the right.

I fixed it using another command instead.

So some commands won't be 2-way if you know what I mean.

cheers

Luca

just a little tip:

I tried to assign the rotary to one of the spare (not used) fs commands

"AXIS_RIGHT_BRAKE_SET" and once linked it to the fsuipc RUDDER TRIM

the airplane only trimmed to the right. I fixed it using another command instead. So some commands won't be 2-way if you know what I mean.

Well it shouldn't make any difference at all if you calibrate the full range in FSUIPC, as whatever input FSUIPC sees from whatever axis you assign, it spreads the values to suit the purpose. Even if the axis only gave two values, 0 and 1, a proper calibration in FSUIPC should ensure that 0 is full trim one way and 1 is full trim the other.

Note, however, that left and right do not necessarily correspond with minimum and maximum. Often it is the other way round.

Regards,

Pete

Guest Anonymous

hmmm,

You have more experience than me :-)

But as far as I know, If I mapped it as RIGHT BRAKE and calibrated as trim rudder on fsuipc it only trimmed from center to right. When I tried rotating the rotary to the left nothing happened.

however as soon as I mapped it to the SLEW_PAN_LEFTRIGHT (or similar name) it worked on both directions.

hope this helps

cheers

Luca

But as far as I know, If I mapped it as RIGHT BRAKE and calibrated as trim rudder on fsuipc it only trimmed from center to right. When I tried rotating the rotary to the left nothing happened.

But did nothing happen too when you did this in FSUIPC's calibration page? Or did the values shown as "IN" change?

The thing that matters is the OUT value shown in FSUIPC. That should, when the axis is correctly calibrated, extend whatever range you have coming in, to all the possible ranges for that control.

That is, in fact, all it does -- maps the input range, no matter what it is, to the complete output range. It really doesn't matter to it at all what the input values are. It sounds like you found the calibration more natural with the alternative input, but that may be because the left part of the BRAKES range resulted in no input values changing, though I've never seen a case like that.

The only other alternative explanation I can think of is that you have enabled FSUIPC's brake calibration as well. That could make some odd things happen I should think! :?

Regards,

Pete