The simFlight Network Forums

FS2004 Freeze Altitude

Hi there,

Is the "Freeze Altitude Set" included in FSUIPC3 for FS2004?

If not, how would I go about coding this for FSUIPC?

Keep in mind, I have no coding experience, so can someone explain, as simple as possible, how I would go about this?

Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, r22s7 said:

Is the "Freeze Altitude Set" included in FSUIPC3 for FS2004?

I don't think so, but did you check the supplied controls list?

5 hours ago, r22s7 said:

If not, how would I go about coding this for FSUIPC?

You'd need to write a Lua plug in with an loop writing the initially read altitude back to the altitude offset as fast as possible. even then, because you wouldn't always catch it before the next frame was displayed, so you'd still get the occasional nasty jitter.

Only way to do it properly would be to write your own small DLL in C or C++ to get into the innards of FS2004. But that would also involve hacking into its cod, so a knowledge of x86 assembly code would also be needed. No job for a non-programmer.

Pete

33 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

You'd need to write a Lua plug in with an loop writing the initially read altitude back to the altitude offset as fast as possible. even then, because you wouldn't always catch it before the next frame was displayed, so you'd still get the occasional nasty jitter.

It wouldn't bother me too much if it jittered occasionally. Would you be able to walk me through how to do this?

2 hours ago, r22s7 said:

It wouldn't bother me too much if it jittered occasionally. Would you be able to walk me through how to do this?

Try saving this in the FS Modules folder as a file called "freezeAlt.lua"

althi = ipc.readSD(0x574)
altlo = ipc.readUD(0x570)
while 1 do
   ipc.sleep(10) -- 10 mSecs = 100 times per sec
   ipc.writeUD(0x570,altlo)
   ipc.writeSD(0x574,althi)
end

Then, run FS. Go to FSUIPC options and assign a button or keypress to "Lua freezealt", and another to "Luakill freezealt".

Use the first keypress or button to freeze the altitude, and the other to release it.

Testing here I get an altitude variation of only 1-2 feet. That's with P3Dv4, so your results may differ. (I don't even have FS2004 any more).

You can try reducing the number 10 in the sleep line to make it set the altitude more often -- see what suits you and your setup.

Please note that I normally do NOT write plug-ins for users. I'd prefer they did their own research, so that they learn more and can do more things subsequently. I supply many examples and documentation in the FSUIPC Dcouments folder, and Lua has an excellentreference and tutorials on their website.

Pete