The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC - mapping joystick axis to rotary switch

Hi there,

I use the registered version of FSUIPC (5.124) with P3D V4.2 together with a Saitek X56 HOTAS.

Just tried to assign two axes of the throttle (JOY 0, Axes Z and R) to my PMDG 737, MCP_Speed_Selector (Event-ID 70016) and MCP_ Heading_Selector (Event-ID 70022), which are both rotary switches.

The range of the axes is from 16383 to -16384 (in raw from 0 - 255).

I want to set the range for MCP_Speed_selector from 100 (axis full left) to 250 (axis full left), the range for MCP_Heading_Selector shall be from 0 to 359.

What kind of settings do I have to make in FSUIPC to achieve this??

I've already tried a lot of settings - but not successfull so far. The rotary switches in the cockpit are turning, but either upwards not downwards (setting in raw) or not continuos (setting calibrated).

Could someone please give me advice???

Thanks in advance,

regards Thomas!

FSUIPC5.ini

FSUIPC5.log

1 hour ago, tom_m said:

Just tried to assign two axes of the throttle (JOY 0, Axes Z and R) to my PMDG 737, MCP_Speed_Selector (Event-ID 70016) and MCP_ Heading_Selector (Event-ID 70022), which are both rotary switches.

The range of the axes is from 16383 to -16384 (in raw from 0 - 255).

I want to set the range for MCP_Speed_selector from 100 (axis full left) to 250 (axis full left), the range for MCP_Heading_Selector shall be from 0 to 359.

What kind of settings do I have to make in FSUIPC to achieve this??

Using analogue axes to set exact specific values is really not a good idea.  But:

You could try using the RAW setting, and set the delta to 1. That should give you every input value from 0-255.

After doing the assignment, in the FSUIPC INI file, you'll need to find the lines and add "fiddle factors" to scale 0-255 to the range you want. Check the FSUIPC Advanced User's guide, the section entitled Additional parameters to scale input axis values which is on page 45 or close.

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks for your fast response!!

I mapped the 2 axes with RAW and delta 1 to the PMDG Custom Control, now the switches in the cockpit rotate (but only increase, no decrease).

Could you please explain a little more about the mentioned "fiddle factors" in your answer? The chapter in the advanced user manual is a little too complicated for me :-(

This is tge part of the INI File with axes:

[Axes]
PollInterval=10
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=0Y,R0,D,4,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Throttle }-
1=0Z,R1,F,70022,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: Custom control: <70022> }-
2=0R,R1,F,70016,0,0,0    -{ TO SIM: Custom control: <70016> }-
3=1X,256,D,1,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Aileron }-
4=1Y,256,D,2,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-
5=1R,256,D,3,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Rudder }-

Thanks a lot,

Thomas!

1 hour ago, tom_m said:

I mapped the 2 axes with RAW and delta 1 to the PMDG Custom Control,

Have you checked that the numbers you get do increase AND decrease by 1 when you turn the knobs?

Try with a regular FS control on a normal aircraft. What you are seeing sounds to be more of a specific way the PMDG controls operate. I don't use PMDG aircraft, but I thought their controls are simply versions of their mouse actions, and the parameters are NOT the values to be set, but an encoding more left and right mouse click codes -- in fact i think there's a list of those in the document which lists the custom controls. 

See how you change those values on screen, with the mouse. That is probably what you have to emulate with the custom controls. i.e. one of two parameters -- up or down (right or left mouse click).

If so, what you are trying to do is not specifically possible. All you can do is NOT assign to the control on the left, but use the range facility on the right, use the whole range with "up" encoded with one parameter and "down" as the other.

1 hour ago, tom_m said:

Could you please explain a little more about the mentioned "fiddle factors" in your answer? The chapter in the advanced user manual is a little too complicated for me :-(

Really? Multiply and Add? Simple arithmetic? I'm not sure how to explain arithmetic, most folks learn that in junior school don't they? What exactly puzzles you?

Pete

Hey Pete,

when assigning the "axis" to a regular aircraft, it does the job perfectly: up and down, from 0 to 255 (raw).

In PMDG, when assigning as "axis", you can see that the rotary knob of the 737 is turning right and left when you turn the knob on the joystick. But unfortunately, the number in the display of the 737 just increases.

When I use range facility on right side, the rotary knob on the plane doesn't move at all, neither the number in the display. Do I have to set other settings in this tab ("Set" 1, "from" 0 "to" 255, "up" checked, "control sent" <70022>, "parameter" 1; "Set" 2, "from" 0 "to" 255, "down" checked, "control sent" <70022>, "parameter" 1

Okay, you got me on the wrong foot [as you say in germany] - I was wondering about the advanced manual around mentioned side 45 (which I really don't understand). The correct chapter on page 36 is clearly understood (shame on me) :-)

Regards Thomas (who is quite happy about his junior school :-))

9 minutes ago, tom_m said:

when assigning the "axis" to a regular aircraft, it does the job perfectly: up and down, from 0 to 255 (raw).

Yes, good.

9 minutes ago, tom_m said:

In PMDG, when assigning as "axis", you can see that the rotary knob of the 737 is turning right and left when you turn the knob on the joystick. But unfortunately, the number in the display of the 737 just increases.

I am pretty sure that this is because it ISN'T the axis value you can use as the parameter. I think the parameter is a mouse action encoding, and those are listed in the same document from which you obtained the custom control numbers.

There is no PMDG control which sets the number. It is only adjusted up (with one mouse encoding) or down (with another).  So, you can only use your axis as if it were two buttons -- one to increase, one to decrease. This is why  said an analogue axis is usually not suitable, and it seems especially so in the case of PMDG.

Really, for more specific help with PMDG you'd probably be better served in the PMDG forum.

15 minutes ago, tom_m said:

When I use range facility on right side, the rotary knob on the plane doesn't move at all, neither the number in the display. Do I have to set other settings in this tab ("Set" 1, "from" 0 "to" 255, "up" checked, "control sent" <70022>, "parameter" 1; "Set" 2, "from" 0 "to" 255, "down" checked, "control sent" <70022>, "parameter" 1

What parameter are you setting? The word "parameter" isn't numeric. Only numeric parameters are valid!  I expect you are sendng the control with a parameter of 0, and it's possible that the PMDG controls don't do anything on 0. you need the parameters for "!left click" and "right click".

18 minutes ago, tom_m said:

I was wondering about the advanced manual around mentioned side 45 (which I really don't understand). The correct chapter on page 36 is clearly understood

Ah, sorry. You han't anywhere said which version of FSUIPC you are using. The page number I found was for FSUIPC4, which is the one for FSX, FSX-SE and P3D1-3.

Pete

Hey Pete,

problem is solved :-)

I found another PMDG Event_ID that changes just the value of the setting in the cockpit (but doesn't animate the rotary knob).

Works perfect - even when assigning the axis on "the left side"!

Adding the "Fiddle Factors" in the .ini file was also succesful :-)

Thanks a lot for your help (even on weekend)!!

Regards Thomas - very satisfied customer!!

1 hour ago, tom_m said:

I found another PMDG Event_ID that changes just the value of the setting in the cockpit (but doesn't animate the rotary knob).

Works perfect - even when assigning the axis on "the left side"!

Adding the "Fiddle Factors" in the .ini file was also succesful :-)

Excellent. well done!

Pete

Hi Pete,

just one more question:

Is it somehow possible to add more than 4 assignments to an axis?

I'd like to assign 6 custom events (69691 and 69726) for the internal lighting of the PMDG 737 to an axis...

Inside the control panel are only options for 4 assignments, and adding them into the .ini after the exisiting (and working) 4 assignments doesn't work - here is the relevant line:

4=0T,R0,F,69960,70142,69727,70389    -{ TO SIM: Custom control: <69960>, Custom control: <70142>, Custom control: <69727>, Custom control: <70389> }-

Do you have any idea?

Have a nice evening,

Regards Thomas!

25 minutes ago, tom_m said:

Is it somehow possible to add more than 4 assignments to an axis?

I'd like to assign 6 custom events (69691 and 69726) for the internal lighting of the PMDG 737 to an axis...

Are the lights on a dimmer? Is the axis value used as a brightness controls? Else i don't understand why light switchtes are on an axis.

26 minutes ago, tom_m said:

Inside the control panel are only options for 4 assignments, and adding them into the .ini after the exisiting (and working) 4 assignments doesn't work

That's because the internal lookup tables only accommodate up to 4. even 4 axis conrttorls on one input is a rarity.

You could probably assign to a macro file which can have as many normal control outputs as you wish. You omit the parameter vale to have it take the value from the axis.

But I'd like to understand the reason for this odd request.

Pete

Good morning Pete! 

Yes, the reason for this assignment ist that the 737 has many dimmers for panel lightning spread all over the cockpit. 

I'd love to dim them all with 1 axis on the throttle, and with another axis I'd like to dim all the floodlights. 

Will try the macro this evening! 

Regards Thomas! 

12 hours ago, tom_m said:

Good morning Pete! 

Yes, the reason for this assignment ist that the 737 has many dimmers for panel lightning spread all over the cockpit. 

I'd love to dim them all with 1 axis on the throttle, and with another axis I'd like to dim all the floodlights. 

Will try the macro this evening! 

Regards Thomas! 

Please post the whole macro and introduction instructions when you have time.

Thanks!