The simFlight Network Forums

Loss of controls when opening window

Hi there,

I've just started having a problem with the full registered version of FSUIPC (latest) and P3Dv4.2 - it's been working fine for a long time and I have no idea what has caused it!

Every time I open a window within P3D, for example the Traffic Explorer window from TrafficToolbox.dll or the time preview window, FSUIPC stops working. All FSUIPC defined controls suddenly become unresponsive, autosave stops saving etc. There's no error message, and FSUIPC still appears in the menu, but it just stops working in the background. If I go into the FSUIPC menu and click ok, everything suddenly starts working again.

Any ideas? I can only imagine it's some sort of simconnect problem, but I really have no idea!

1 hour ago, fennelda said:

Every time I open a window within P3D, for example the Traffic Explorer window from TrafficToolbox.dll or the time preview window, FSUIPC stops working. All FSUIPC defined controls suddenly become unresponsive, autosave stops saving etc. There's no error message, and FSUIPC still appears in the menu, but it just stops working in the background. If I go into the FSUIPC menu and click ok, everything suddenly starts working again.

How strange. I can't imagine what could cause that.

When you say FSUIPC defined controls, do you mean all assigned to buttons or axes, or are you including keyboard? For USB controls like joysticks I can imagine perhaps a strange fault in Windows whereby they get "disconnected" -- going into the FSUIPC menu and out would force a re-scan -- but the AutoSave mechanism is based on a timer, so it really makes no sense.

When this happens, and after using the Menu to make it start again, please get the FSUIPC5.LOG file from the P3D Modules folder and show it to me.

BTW what's the " time preview window"?

Pete

Hi Pete,

That's interesting, I'm flying now so I tried it out. I assigned a key to arm the spoilers, which worked fine before and after opening the traffic explorer window, however the spoiler axis I assigned to the throttle stopped working until I recycled the FSUIPC window. Maybe reinstalling my joystick drivers might fix it?

Interestingly though, the autosave function also disables, which has nothing to do with the Joystick!

By time preview I mean World > Time Preview. It allows you to change the time in the sim dynamically without a reload.

Thanks!

I've attached the log for the current flight - I've done it multiple times but there doesn't seem to be any record of anything in the file.

Well, there's some indication of a SimConnect overload, but only affecting the AI Traffic reading link:

3726032 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 3315 secs = 20.5 fps
  3726032    Max AI traffic was 229 aircraft (Deleted 0)
  3736203 **** Restarting traffic scanning due to non-reception ****
  4009032 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 273 secs = 30.4 fps
  4009032    Max AI traffic was 229 aircraft (Deleted 0)
  4206625 **** Restarting traffic scanning due to non-reception ****
  5810391 **** Restarting traffic scanning due to non-reception ****
  6645907 **** Restarting traffic scanning due to non-reception ****

If FSUIPC wasn't getting normal SimConnect events frequently enough it would log it and re-connect Simconnect, which would cause small pauses whilst everything is reloaded.

And there's no sign of a joystick device rescan, so it isn't losing USB connections either.

So, sorry. It is very odd. I think you'll need to do a process of elimination on your add-ons.

I enabled logging extras in fsuipc and it gave me two entries when I made it happen:

Those simple mean that the normal P3D window lost the keyboard focus. It is only logged for information -- a facility added to find out which program was sometimes causing P3d to go into "background" mode whilst some other process ran. the logging of focus changes is just that, logging. It means nothing else.

Pete

I've now had a chance to reproduce this phenomenon, and i still don't understand it.

I shall have to look at adding extra logging to see what is going on. it's almost as if some essential SimConnect functions are suspended, but it certainly isn't getting a SimConnect time-out. Most Simconnect values are arriving normally, but USB events aren't seen. Not sure about AutoSave yet, as that's only dependent upon the time, whis is clearly updating. . Very odd indeed.

I'm afraid i might not get to this straightaway. -- a bit tied up over the next few days.

Pete

Thanks Pete! I'm impressed you could reproduce it, I haven't seen it reported anywhere so I figured it was something peculiar to my system. If you need any more data, or tests I can carry out on my side please let me know.

Thanks Pete! I'm impressed you could reproduce it, I haven't seen it reported anywhere so I figured it was something peculiar to my system. If you need any more data, or tests I can carry out on my side please let me know.

Actually, I did a couple of more tests. The symptoms go away not only going into the FSUIPC menu, but any menu which makes a dialogue. That was a really big clue, so i took a closer look ...

Seems that in those two instances which you found, FSUIPC receives a "SIM START" state notification, but doesn't see a "SIM STOP" beforehand, so it assumes it is just a repeat of a previous notification.

It is easy to fix as I just need to act on the SIM START in any case. It will be fixed in the next release, but there are other changes which depend on the next P3D update, which i hope is not far off. So look out for an update of FSUIPC at that time.

Regards

Pete