The simFlight Network Forums

Trouble with FSUIPC, FS2K2, and Win2000

Hello Peter:

I recently upgraded my Win2000 system by adding Service Pack 4. Prior to that time, FS2k2 ran as expected with FSUIPC 3.08 (registered version) in place.

Since the upgrade, FS2k2 fails during its initial load with message box:

-------------------------------

Title bar: UIPCMAIN: fs2002.exe - Application error

Prompt: The instruction at "0x7c4fcd27" referenced memory at "0x00000065". The memory could not be "read".

Buttons: OK - to terminate the program.

Cancel - to debug the program.

-------------------------------

I reloaded FS2k2 and it runs as expected in its stock state with Win2000 and SP4. Then I added my collection of aircraft and all was still well. I checked for the latest FSUIPC and found mine was slightly out of date at 3.08 so I downloaded v3.11 and installed.

After that, I tried again to run FS2k2 without success. In checking the FS2k2 modules directory, I see that the FSUIPC.log file does not change its timestamp but that the FSUPIC.ini does change its time stamp. I found that the History= line is changed. Two samples (after failed load) are:

History=WII5YY1J3DHPBZ27DMEYC

and

History=8AWWPPSAU4K0MADIOXP9W

The good news is that I still have a Win98, FS2k2, FSUIPC 3.08, FSNav, etc. available so I can keep up my flight hours.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks.

Graham Rintoul

grintoul@earthlink.net

Prompt: The instruction at "0x7c4fcd27" referenced memory at "0x00000065". The memory could not be "read".

I think that address is in a library routine. If your Win2000 update replaced more recent library DLLs installed by FS with earlier ones, which is possible, you may need to uninstall and re-install FS.

After that, I tried again to run FS2k2 without success. In checking the FS2k2 modules directory, I see that the FSUIPC.log file does not change its timestamp but that the FSUPIC.ini does change its time stamp.

All that means is that FSUIPC is not able to run far enough to open the log file.

I found that the History= line is changed.

They change every time. I wouldn't worry about that.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

The only information which might be of use is a proper DrWatson log. If you check towards the end of the FSUIPC User guide, there's a section "If FS crashes ...". If you can follow that and Zip up the results I'll have a look.

The bad news is that Win2K Dr.Watsons aren't enormously helpful, and, further, I am away after tomorrow until October 24th, so it will be a while before I can get to it.

I do have a Win2000 installation here, but I'm not sure what it's update level is. It was the latest at the time but whether that was SP3 or SP4 I really don't know off-hand. Is SP4 recent?

Regards,

Pete