The simFlight Network Forums

Letters for Joystick Devices

Dear Pete,

Greetings! I am writing to consult about the letters for joystick devices.

As far as I understand, with AutoAssignLetters=No, if I manually change the numbers to meaningful letters (e.g. from 0 to T for throttle) under [Joynames] section and start the sim again, FSUIPC will adjust itself and eventually the buttons and axes sections of different aircraft profiles will be using those letters set instead of numbers.

However, I just realise that the profiles of some aircrafts are not using the letters that I set but the original numbers even though I have already restarted the sim for the sake of auto adjustment of FSUIPC, like 

[Axes.PMDG 777]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=TZ,256,D,10,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Throttle2 }-
1=TR,256,D,9,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Throttle1 }-
2=TS,256,D,22,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Spoilers }-
3=SR,256,D,3,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Rudder }-
4=RX,256,D,7,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: LeftBrake }-
5=RY,256,D,8,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: RightBrake }-
6=RR,256,D,3,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Rudder }-
7=YX,256,D,1,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Aileron }-
8=YY,256,D,2,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-

while

[Axes.Alabeo DA40]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=0X,256,D,7,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: LeftBrake }-
1=0Y,256,D,8,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: RightBrake }-
2=0R,256,D,3,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Rudder }-
3=2Z,256,D,5,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: PropPitch }-
4=2R,256,D,4,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Throttle }-
5=2S,256,D,6,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Mixture }-
6=3X,256,D,1,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Aileron }-
7=3Y,256,D,2,0,0,0    -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-

The reason I check the files and realise this is that, when I fly PMDG 777 today, the aircraft suddenly lose all power while no failures are armed or set previously. Having consulted PMDG, I was told that having mixture control set even for other aircrafts with separate profiles MAY need to the issue. In my case, controls are intentionally separated between individual aircrafts (i.e. checking the box "profile specific" in FSUIPC. I do have a physical slider assigned for both PMDG 777's spoiler and C172's mixture control but in separate profiles. May I know if PMDG's interpretation is reasonable from FSUIPC's point of view? Will assignments in separate control profiles occasionally affect each other?

Regards,

Anson

FSUIPC5.ini

4 minutes ago, TszChun.Anson said:

However, I just realise that the profiles of some aircrafts are not using the letters that I set but the original numbers even though I have already restarted the sim for the sake of auto adjustment of FSUIPC,

FSUIPC doesn't read profiles unless and until they are called for. That would be wasteful. It will update them as you use them.

6 minutes ago, TszChun.Anson said:

Having consulted PMDG, I was told that having mixture control set even for other aircrafts with separate profiles MAY need to the issue. In my case, controls are intentionally separated between individual aircrafts (i.e. checking the box "profile specific" in FSUIPC. I do have a physical slider assigned for both PMDG 777's spoiler and C172's mixture control but in separate profiles. May I know if PMDG's interpretation is reasonable from FSUIPC's point of view? Will assignments in separate control profiles occasionally affect each other?

No, no way. If there were messages queued up waiting for the Sim to process them at the time the other aircraft was ready, then it would just about be possible, but that is really extreme;y unlikely -- FSUIPC isn't processing the inputs duing the changeover time, and even if Windows was being very slow passing messages on, it would only affect things in the newly loaded aircraft whilst it was really still sorting itself out. PMDG do have a habit of blaming everything on FSUIPC.

Pete

2 hours ago, TszChun.Anson said:

One more thing I would like to know is that, should the selection between rawinput and directinput matters for FSUIPC?

Assignment in FSUIPC is totally separate to assignment in P3D. You can assign in P3D instead, and then that choice may affect some devices, but I'm not aware of any advantages one way or the other. And it doesn't affect FSUIPC calibration, which operates on the controls assigned to, not on the inputs themselves.

Pete