The simFlight Network Forums

Can't Find FSUIPC.INI

Hi all. I'm a registered user of FSUIPC5. I have Prepar3d v4 using Windows 10. I was using FSUIPC to assign buttons on my yoke. Initially I assigned trim up/down to the left side toggle button. I switched to pan up/down and then decided to go back to trim up/down. Everything is greyed out and I get a message in one of the window boxes: "This button has mixed actions already! Please edit in FSUIPC.INI file". I go to my modules folder and see 8 FSUIPC listings, none of them ending with the suffix .INI. I do a search of my computer files and it can't find an FSUIPC.INI. I see several references to this file in the forum but all seem to know where it is. Am I looking in the wrong place or is it just missing? Thanks.

Eric

1 hour ago, Rameric5 said:

Initially I assigned trim up/down to the left side toggle button. I switched to pan up/down and then decided to go back to trim up/down. Everything is greyed out and I get a message in one of the window boxes: "This button has mixed actions already!

Very strange. that can normally arise only from editing the INI file to make it so, as a different assignment in the Options replaces the previous one.

1 hour ago, Rameric5 said:

I go to my modules folder and see 8 FSUIPC listings, none of them ending with the suffix .INI. I do a search of my computer files and it can't find an FSUIPC.INI.

You have Windows Explorer still hiding known filetypes from you! There are instructions in the User Guide to turn that annoying option off. (See the section entitled "Finding and Editing files relating to FSUIPC and WideFS" quite near the beginning).

The INI file is the one with description something like "configuration settings", whilst the "text file" is the LOG file. Best to turn the explorer folder option to stop hiding such things from you.

Pete

Thanks Pete, the "Hide extensions for known file types" box was already unchecked. However, I had to switch "Don't show hidden files" to "Show hidden files" further up the page and FSUIPC.INI appeared. Now, will the advanced users guide show me specifically what I have to change to make the yoke button work again or is it something that one has to kind of already know what they're doing? I tried changing the words from "PAN_UP/PAN_DOWN" TO "ELEVATORTRIM_UP/ELEVATORTRIM_DOWN" but obviously that didn't work. I'm also wondering whether or not I can use FSUIPC.INI to deal with calibration problems I'm having with the speed brake lever on a PFC throttle quadrant? Thanks again.

Eric

52 minutes ago, Rameric5 said:

I had to switch "Don't show hidden files" to "Show hidden files" further up the page and FSUIPC.INI appeared

Strange. That option doesn't normally also hide extensions (you said you said "8 FSUIPC listins" -- though what they all are I don't know. There should be FSUIPC itself, the DLL, then an INI, a LOG, and a KEY file. 4 files looking like "FSUIPC" if the filetype is hidden).

54 minutes ago, Rameric5 said:

Now, will the advanced users guide show me specifically what I have to change to make the yoke button work again or is it something that one has to kind of already know what they're doing? I tried changing the words from "PAN_UP/PAN_DOWN" TO "ELEVATORTRIM_UP/ELEVATORTRIM_DOWN" but obviously that didn't work.

Easiest just to delete the lines dealing with the button/switch in question -- the numbers after the P (for Press, R (for Repeat) or U (for Up or Release) are the joystick ID (number or letter) then a comma and the button number.

57 minutes ago, Rameric5 said:

I'm also wondering whether or not I can use FSUIPC.INI to deal with calibration problems I'm having with the speed brake lever on a PFC throttle quadrant?

What "calibration problem" are you having? The normal FSUIPC Options calibration should do all you want, unless you want some sort of restriction or scaling for the axis values. I use PFC axes throttle quadrand, yoke, pedals) with no trouble using normal calibration.

Pete

I honestly can't remember what the 8 FSUIPC listings were now but I know none had the .ini suffix. It is entirely possible (although I don't know how likely) that I unchecked the "Hide file extensions" box and didn't realize/remember it. The important thing is, thanks to you, I found the file now. I'm going on a trip for a few days and I'll do that line deleting thing that you explained when I get back.

As for the PFC calibration problems, I downloaded the serial driver for PFC from the Schiratti/Dowson website a few days ago. I didn't have problems calibrating the throttles, reversers and flaps using the PFC calibration utility but the full up position for the speed brake shows as being about a 3rd of the way down on the slider. When I pull back the lever the slider jumps up to the zero position. When the lever is more than half way pulled back then the slider moves down again and when the lever is pulled all the way back the slider never reaches the lowest point. It gets kind of close but not quite there. I tried moving the speed brake back and forth SEVERAL times but it doesn't change anything. Looking at the wings on the flight model (QW 787-8) the spoilers come up a little when they should be armed and lower after passing the armed position not to come up again, or would come up more as I pull back on the lever and then go back down again. Also, in the interest of not creating confusion here. I'm only using the PFC throttle quadrant and console. My yoke and rudder pedals aren't PFC. If you have any suggestion I'm all eyes (ears). Thanks

Eric

Edited by Rameric5
Grammer and better readability

7 hours ago, Rameric5 said:

full up position for the speed brake shows as being about a 3rd of the way down on the slider. When I pull back the lever the slider jumps up to the zero position.

You probably need to reverse it. The "third of the way down" (assuming by "down" you mean towards you?) is probably the Flight Detente. Full spoiler action only works after touch down.  There's an "arm" position to be calibrated as well.

Pete

Actually, I should have been more clear. The "full up" position I was referring to is the speed brake lever itself, not the actual spoilers. The "third of the way down" that I was referring to was the little slider square on the calibration scale. In other words, when the lever is full up or forward (spoilers completely lowered) the calibration slider scale is one third of the way down (armed or flight detente), not all the way at the top as it should be. The slider only moves up after I pull back or down on the speed brake lever. I just wondered if perhaps changing something in FSUIPC.INI  might correct this calibration scale being off or allow it to be reset. If not, I have another non-PFC throttle quadrant that I can use. I just like the PFC one better because it usually can be calibrated with an "armed" position (when I used it before with FSX) while the other one apparently cannot be. Anyway, thank you Pete for all of the help and info that you provided. There are almost always options. Cheers!

Eric

2 hours ago, Rameric5 said:

In other words, when the lever is full up or forward (spoilers completely lowered) the calibration slider scale is one third of the way down (armed or flight detente), not all the way at the top as it should be.

In flight the spoilers/speedbrake only go to the flight detente, not full spoiler as after touch down.  This is so even if the lever is moved to full spoiler position. However, it sounds like you've not calibrated the arm position. My PFC calibration provides for the Arm position by having a "centre". Is that calibrated?

What you could try as well is unchecking the enabling tick in the PFC driver and calibrating in FSUIPC instead, though mine works well with PFC handling alone.

What range of axis values do you see in the PFC driver? 

Pete

I'm glad to hear there's a FSUIPC calibration option. I may have to try that. OK, here's what I have now though: Set Parked Limit= 4, Armed Detente= 11, Flight Detente= 32 and Fully UP= 80. When the speed brake lever is full up/forward, the input value is 1and the slider scale is about 3 and-a-half ticks down from the top. The flight model shows spoilers down. Scaled output is 4800. With the lever pulled back to input value of 7, the slider moves up to the 1st tick, the Scaled Output shows "ARM" and the spoilers raise slightly. At an input value of around 19, the Scaled Output shows 7111, the slider jumps back down to 4 and-a-half ticks and the spoilers raise some more. At an input value of 22, the slider moves to 5 and-a-half, the spoilers raise a little more and the Scaled Output is 9348. At an input of 28, the slider is 7 ticks down, the spoilers are up about 45 degrees and the Scaled Output is "FLT". Finally, at an input of 80, the slider is on the bottom tick (#9), the spoilers are up about 60 degrees and the ailerons come up slightly as well. The Scaled Output is 52590. Believe it or not, this is better than what it had been doing but obviously there's something wrong at that lower end where the arming comes into play. NOW I'm starting to have similar problems with the flaps (almost working in reverse). That didn't seem to be a problem before. I believe you had something when you said I may need to reverse it. I notice that the box that says RVS is checked on both the spoilers and the flaps in the calibration window but they are greyed out and won't let me uncheck them. Could that be my problem? Thanks as always.

Eric

I'm glad to hear there's a FSUIPC calibration option. I may have to try that. OK, here's what I have now though: Set Parked Limit= 4, Armed Detente= 11, Flight Detente= 32 and Fully UP= 80.

The PFC axis inputs should have a range approaching a maximum of 127. 80 for full is very poor. I think you should ask PFC about that.

Nevertheless, whilst FSUIPC expects the PFC axis inputs to go from 0-127, and multiplies the values received accordingly, it will be capable a calibrating to the full sim range.

Finally, at an input of 80, the slider is on the bottom tick (#9), the spoilers are up about 60 degrees and the ailerons come up slightly as well. The Scaled Output is 52590.

Where are you seeing these "scaled outputs"? A value of 52590 in the 16 bits allowed is actually about -12946, so very different from the other values which are all positive. 52590 for an axis doesn't make sense.

I believe you had something when you said I may need to reverse it. I notice that the box that says RVS is checked on both the spoilers and the flaps in the calibration window but they are greyed out and won't let me uncheck them. Could that be my problem?

In the PFC driver, since it already knows those axes need reversing, it does it automatically. You can'tchange them in that tab. Only in FSUIPC.

Your problem does really need PFC attention. I'm never heard of any such problems before with the quadrant, and that's over more yers than I care to count!

Pete

Whew, I tried calibrating with FSUIPC and it was even worse. It was almost like it had problems understanding the inputs from a PFC device. Like it had to translate a different language first. There was no continuous stream of input numbers and it delayed quite a bit. I believe you're right. I think there's a problem here with this PFC driver (or maybe even my console). I'm not going to worry about contacting PFC since, due to past experience, I don't think they want to be bothered; especially with questions about a legacy serial device. I'm going to try a couple of more things and, like I said, I have another throttle quadrant that I can use. I should be able to get something that works well enough. Again, thanks for the info, the help and your time Pete. Cheers.

Eric

4 hours ago, Rameric5 said:

I think there's a problem here with this PFC driver

The PFC driver is written by myself and is in daily use here with PFC quadrand, yoke, pedals and centre console and it works fine as it has done for years. There's something else wrong with your system. 

4 hours ago, Rameric5 said:

I'm not going to worry about contacting PFC since, due to past experience, I don't think they want to be bothered;

How long have you had the quadrant? If you had it from new, as I had mine, they are most helpful. I could understand better if it were second or third hand.

Pete

Apologies if it came off as a criticism of the driver. My point there was that something is wrong somewhere in the system. I wouldn't know one way or the other. I have no doubt that it's not the driver if, as you said, there hasn't been problems before. I'm beginning to think that perhaps my problem lies with my connection. My computer doesn't have a serial port and I'm using an adapter going to a USB connection on my computer. Something's probably lost in the translation. As it stands, I may have to contact PFC if, for no other reason, to see if that may be the culprit.

Eric

My computer doesn't have a serial port and I'm using an adapter going to a USB connection on my computer

Ah, yes. You can certainly get prblems with those adapters. I never found one which was good enough, and I went through quite a few makes. I use serial port PCI or PCI Express cards, plugged into the PC motherboard.  Brainbox ones are excellent -- I have one in every PC to which I need to connect serial port devices (and I have quite a few).  See:

http://www.brainboxes.com/pci-express-serial-cards for PCI Express cards, and
http://www.brainboxes.com/pci-serial-cards for ordinary PCI slots.
You need the type to fit whatever spare slots you have. 

Pete

That's all I need to hear. It makes so much sense now the more I think of it. I checked out those brainboxes links that you sent and feel that may be a little above my "pay grade". There's a big Microcenter store down the highway and I have a computer guy here (who actually rebuilt my computer) who I think will give me the best fit for what I have in terms of serial port cards. I'll mention the PCI and PCI Express and see what he says. Thanks again Pete.

Eric