The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC read error 'Call cannot execute, link not Open'

KWB

Question: What is the scope of an FSUIPC_Open?
Hint: Using the C version of FSUIPC SDK with FSX:  FSUIPC 4.9.7.3 (FSX) 32 bit, my full code is attached as file.

I have a small class wrapping my FSUIPC functionality. The FSUIPC_Open itself works (returns true, DWORD result is 0)
I can also FSUIPC_READ in the same function, so far so good.

bool CFsuipc::connect(bool force) { .... DWORD result; ... if (FSUIPC_Open(SIM_ANY, &result)) ...

Now in another function (read) I rely on that opened FSUIPC connection. Still the same object in memory.

bool CFsuipc::read(CSimulatedAircraft &aircraft, bool cockpit, bool situation, bool aircraftParts) {  if (  FSUIPC_Read(0x0238, 3, localFsTimeRaw, &dwResult) &&

Now the read fails with "FSUIPC read error 'Call cannot execute, link not Open'` So somehow my open connection got lost. I can say for sure, the object is still the same. So where is the  info of the open connection stored?

Of course I could always open in the same step as I read, but I wonder why the state of the connection does not persist?

fsuipcimpl.cpp

7 hours ago, KWB said:

Now the read fails with "FSUIPC read error 'Call cannot execute, link not Open'` So somehow my open connection got lost. I can say for sure, the object is still the same. So where is the  info of the open connection stored?

I assume you are linking with the supplied static LIB?  The source for the library is included in the package, because most folks prefer to build-in the source itself as part of their program -- makes it easier to debug and therefore see what is going on. In the source you will see it is all done in local storage in the library., thus:

/******************************************************************************
            START of FSUIPC_User
******************************************************************************/

static HWND    m_hWnd  = 0;     // FS6 window handle
static UINT    m_msg   = 0;     // id of registered window message
static ATOM    m_atom  = 0;     // global atom containing name of file-mapping object
static HANDLE  m_hMap  = 0;     // handle of file-mapping object
static BYTE*   m_pView = 0;     // pointer to view of file-mapping object
static BYTE*   m_pNext = 0;     // ...

Note that the FSUIPC_Read action merely transfers information already in the shared menory. It is the FSUIPC_Peocess call that interacts with FSUIPC, sending the accumulated writes and reads. Which makes this line in your code look rather odd:

if (FSUIPC_Read(0x0238, 3, localFsTimeRaw, &dwResult) && FSUIPC_Process(&dwResult))

and this pair:

FSUIPC_Read(0xC824, sizeof(timeStamp), &timeStamp, &dwResult);
FSUIPC_Process(&dwResult);

Why are you doing the read/write interaction with FSUIPC after you do the reads?

Anyway, to help you debug the problem, the error you are getting ("NOTOPEN") is returned when you try to do a Process, Read or Write when that m_pView is zero. It is that which points to the shared memory, and should remain non-zero (it is an address in memory) from the time you Open till the time you Close. You will see from the source of FSUIPC_User.cpp that those two places are the only times it is being set, so either your code is Closing the link somewhere, or it is being overwritten somehow.

Pete

First of all thanks for the hints.

Just to make sure, for my test I use a connection via "WideFS Client", for the code I use the SDK from here: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html 
The info is just to avoid that I use some wrong version or code base

Here is where it fails in read, I have just placed a single line for test purposes in my read function. I open in my object's connect function, then I call my read function:

FSUIPC_Read(0x0238, 3, localFsTimeRaw, &dwResult); ==> calls

if (!m_pView)
{    *pdwResult = FSUIPC_ERR_NOTOPEN; <-- returns this value
       return FALSE;
}

Now I did a second test and try to open just before, then failing with FSUIPC_ERR_MAP, so this means m_pView is 0, but the connection still exists. No idea how I can get into that status. 

FSUIPC_Open(SIM_ANY, &dwResult); <== fails with ERR_MAP
FSUIPC_Read(0x0238, 3, localFsTimeRaw, &dwResult);

if ((m_hMap == 0) || (GetLastError() == ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS))
    {    *pdwResult = FSUIPC_ERR_MAP;
        FSUIPC_Close();

3rd version, I just close before I reopen and read. Everything works, even with my 

FSUIPC_Close();
FSUIPC_Open(SIM_ANY, &dwResult);
FSUIPC_Read(0x0238, 3, localFsTimeRaw, &dwResult);

Now my naive conclusion, my connection seems to get broken somewhere. If it was closed somewhere, example 2 would work. So somehow m_piew is 0, but still something is open. I am using an "all compiled" version, no libs. Compiling with VS2017, in this very case 32bit.

Maybe there is any hint, but however expect this is some odd detail. 

8 hours ago, KWB said:

Now my naive conclusion, my connection seems to get broken somewhere

"Connections" in such an interface aren't like communication connections which can "get broken".  The interface uses SHARED MEMEORY -- a block of real memory which is accessible to both processes.  As I pointed out before, everything to do with this is help in these fixed postion values:

static HWND    m_hWnd  = 0;     // FS6 window handle
static UINT    m_msg   = 0;     // id of registered window message
static ATOM    m_atom  = 0;     // global atom containing name of file-mapping object
static HANDLE  m_hMap  = 0;     // handle of file-mapping object
static BYTE*   m_pView = 0;     // pointer to view of file-mapping object
static BYTE*   m_pNext = 0;     // ...

Your code is corrupting some of these. You can see m_hMap an m_pview are next to each other, so you have something tramplying on both.

To find where just use the Debugger facility to set a breakpoint on one of the values, AFTER you've opened the interface.

m_atom is a 16-bit handle.
m_pView is a 32-bit memory pointer (64-bit in a 64-bit program).

The close Close and Open and immediate check works because you haven't executed any of your code, including the part which is going wrong.

Sorry, I don't see how I can help any further. You need to do the debugging.

Pete