The simFlight Network Forums

Using Joystick twist for Steering & Rudder pedal for rudder control

Hello

I'm trying to use my x-56 JS twist control for steering while using my ThrustMaster Rudder peddle for Ruder control..  I have the following setup.

JS Twist axis is set to:

Axis Assignment

Send to Direct to FSUIPC calibration> Steering Tiler

I have the Steering Tiler (Direct) Calibrated and it responds to the twist action.

Ruder Peddle axis is set to:

Axis Assignment

Send to Direct to FSUIPC calibration> Rudder

I have the Rudder (Direct) Calibrated and it responds to the peddle press action.

But in the FSX the rudder and wheel both turn with  joystick twist action.

is it possible to split these functions across two controls?  also i notice my Rudder peddle tow brakes are using the same setting, so that the Left brakes are detected the same as the right. Is either one is pressed then Differential Brakes are used, instead of Left or Right brakes when pressed. 

Thanks for your help.

Stevan

8 hours ago, Stevan said:

But in the FSX the rudder and wheel both turn with  joystick twist action.

At all ground speeds?  The blending operation of FSUIPC only sends on the tiller input at 0 ground speed, and only the rudder input at 60 knots GS (that calue is adjustable in the INI file). Between the two there's a linear transition between the two, so that at 30 knots they have equal effect.

Note that, as documented, the FSUIPC tiller uses the rudder operation in the Sim, not the separate steering axis. This is for full compatibility, and really it is the only decent way to accomplish that transition. I think the nose wheel responds to the rudder input as well as the rudder. FSUIPC's functions are only to derive the input for them from separate sources.

If you don't want the blending, but just want it looking right when you are outside the aircraft looking at it, , try using the Steering set assignment in the FS controls drop down list.  I doubt that this will stop the nose wheel turning with rudder (that probably depends on the model), but the inputs will be separate and both always functional.

also i notice my Rudder peddle tow brakes are using the same setting, so that the Left brakes are detected the same as the right. Is either one is pressed then Differential Brakes are used, instead of Left or Right brakes when pressed. 

That appears to be confused. What do you mean by "same setting?

"Differential brakes" means that the two brake inputs are separate. If they were both going to both brakes you'd not see the "differential" notification. It sounds like you have it correct, left toe brake operating the left brakes and the right toe brake operating the right brakes. That's as it should be.

Pete

Thanks Pete for the reply. The brakes are working as you have described. I was thinking that you should see Left Brake when using the Left Brake only as the Right Brake for Right Brake. Differential braking is displayed when both are used at the same time. The same setting comment was the Left Brake shows a calibrated setting of 16345 (positive number), but he Right Brake shows a positive number as well.

I was expecting to see one brake setting uses a positive number while the other brake uses a negative number for calibration setting.

As for the Steering Tiller, I've tried using the list on the rights side, it still wont separate the rudder and steering tiller functions.

I will have to use the rudder pedal for both functions..

Stevan

14 hours ago, Stevan said:

Differential braking is displayed when both are used at the same time.

Then they are giving slightly different brake pressures. Best to use them visually, keeping straight by watching where you are going rather that worry about whether the sim thinks tifferent or the same.

I was expecting to see one brake setting uses a positive number while the other brake uses a negative number for calibration setting

No. Brakes are either off (0) or positive. Nrgative braking is a bit of a meaningless concept.

As for the Steering Tiller, I've tried using the list on the rights side

Sorry, what do you mean "list on the right side"?

The sim has separate Steering Set and Axis Rudder Set controls. both are listed in the drop-down on the LEFT side when you select "FS control" instead of "direct to FSUIPC". The direct method gives you "Rudder" and Tiller, but they both use the rudder to execute. The point of using those is the gradual transfer of effectiveness from one to the other as you speed up or slow down. More relaistic. the separate controls fed direct into the Sim both have full normal effectiveness all the time (though some add-on aircraft models do try to limit rudder angles at low speed).

I will have to use the rudder pedal for both functions..

Why? Using an axis (especially a twist one) for steering is much nicer. I don't understand why you think there's a problem.

Pete