The simFlight Network Forums

P3D 4.4 CTD with FSUIPC 5.150

Hi,

Just finished fresh install of Windows 10 1803 (Version 10.0.17134.441) and Prepar3D 4.4.16.27077. No add-ons beyond FSUIPC are installed.

Adding FSUIPC 5.150 will cause CTD right after finishing loading default scenario. Removing the FSUIPC5.DLL from the modules folder will bring back P3D to life. Tried also to remove the ini file with no luck.

Attached the logs and event viewer error.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Amos

FSUIPC.zip

1 hour ago, ageva said:

Adding FSUIPC 5.150 will cause CTD right after finishing loading default scenario.

This is almost always due to a corrupted weather file -- either a .WX file or the wxstationlist.bin file. Unfortunately, when Simconnect is asked to supply weather inforamtion to FSUIPC (one of the dirst thing it does after the scenario is loaded), it reads these binary files which do not have any checks built in, and obeys them.

The log shows nothing else wrong. Oddly you have no (recognised) joystick type devices at all. The event details from Windows Event Viewer might be the most informative, but I don't seem to have anything which will open "evtx" files. Could you simple grab the text from the event viewer instead, and paste it in a message please?

1 hour ago, ageva said:

Tried also to remove the ini file with no luck.

The INI file has almost no settings in any case. And what do you mean "no luck"? It is an ordinary text file and easily deleted if you want to revert to default, which it almost is in any case.

If you want to check whether or not it is down to corrupted weather files you can try adding 

NoWeatherAtAll=Yes

to the [General] section of the INI file. Or to check for other things which FSUIPC might do before you are "ready to fly" (which things are precious few) you could rename the FSUIPC5.KEY file, rendering it unregistered.

Pete

2 hours ago, ageva said:

The NoWeatherAtAll=Yes did the trick and it seems to eliminate the CTD.

Restore the weather folder from another 4.4 installation? 

The weather folder isn't involved. The wxstationlist.bin file is in the same folder as your Prepar3D.CFG file  -- i.e. your AppData\Roaming P3D4 folder. You can safely delete that (if FSUIPC hasn't already done it for you). P3D restores it from the original one, which isn't changed, and it is that which is in the Weather folder.

But the corruption may be in one or more of the .WX type files in your P3D documents folder, among the saved scenarios. If you use a weather program like Active Sky you can safely remove all those in any case, as whatever weather they supply will be overridden by the weather program settings. Otherwise just move them out temporarily as a test.

Pete

I think I found a bug in 4.4 🙂

P3D won't restore the wxstationlist.bin file and this will cause CTD when FSUIPC tries to process the weather. I tried couple of times to delete the file and wait for P3D to restore it but no go. Copy the file from the weather folder manually did the trick and no CTD when weather is on under FSUIPC. 

I will report this to LM

Many thanks,

Amos

4 hours ago, ageva said:

I think I found a bug in 4.4 🙂

P3D won't restore the wxstationlist.bin file and this will cause CTD when FSUIPC tries to process the weather. I tried couple of times to delete the file and wait for P3D to restore it but no go. Copy the file from the weather folder manually did the trick and no CTD when weather is on under FSUIPC. 

I will report this to LM

That's odd. You are right, it no longer restores the file! That's annoying. I shall have to copy it across in FSUIPC then,, not just delete the existing one.

But I've been running P3D4.4 here on two PCs and with FSUIPC all through the Beta period and now with the release version, and no CTDs.  Also, if this were a general problem I would expect many more reports, because every 4.4 user running FSUIPC would get the same CTD.

Nevertheless, it seems wrong for P3d4.4 not to do this basic task. I wonder if that also applies to the Scenery.cfg file. It's always copied its default into the ProgramData if there isn't one already there.

BTW you can run with "NoWeatherAtAll=Yes" set with no adverse effects unless you are using an add-on which reads or sets weather through FSUIPC.

Pete