The simFlight Network Forums

Radar Contact Interaction Window Question?

I recently installed the free released version of Radar Contact and it works beautifully. I can utilize all the features and interact with it just fine. However when I switch to a Native VR in P3Dv4 the message window will not appear. I have the latest paid for version of FSUIPC installed and have worked with it extensively. I have read that in the past there was an enhanced window that was developed and could be used with FSUIPC but no longer works and I believe was abandoned. I also see that FSUIPC will remember location and size of the default message window. I posted on the LM forum and they said Simconnect Message Windows should appear. 

My question is, is there something FSUIPC is doing to the message window that might make it not appear in native VR?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Joe

PS  this is a reply I received from the LM development team on their forum. I also found another post reply of yours stating RC4 window doesn’t use Simconnect could this be the issue because it’s not a Simconnect window and hence will not display? If so any suggestions on how to see the RC4 messages in VR?

Hello,

Is the Radar Contact you are using something you have developed, or possibly a 3rd party add-on?

Scaleform windows should show in VR. If the message window you're referring to created as a Scaleform window, you should be able to make it appear in VR. 

Here's some more information on Scaleform panels:
https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/pane ... orial.html

Regards,
Kayla

7 hours ago, Powayjoe said:

However when I switch to a Native VR in P3Dv4 the message window will not appear. I have the latest paid for version of FSUIPC installed and have worked with it extensively. I have read that in the past there was an enhanced window that was developed and could be used with FSUIPC but no longer works and I believe was abandoned. I also see that FSUIPC will remember location and size of the default message window. I posted on the LM forum and they said Simconnect Message Windows should appear. 

My question is, is there something FSUIPC is doing to the message window that might make it not appear in native VR?

No, sorry. It is just a straightforward SimConnect widow. FSUIPC just requests Simconnect to show it, and the rest is up t o P3D4.

I'm afraid i've no idea what "scaleform" windows. The only window facility I am aware of is the SimConnect one.

7 hours ago, Powayjoe said:

Here's some more information on Scaleform panels:
https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/sdk/pane ... orial.html

Ah, that's to do with Gauges displaying their own things. It isn't a Simconnect feature.  You'd need to explain to L-M that it is a plain SimConnect_Text call with type SIMCONNECT_TEXT_TYPE_MESSAGE_WINDOW.

If it displays okay in non-VR mode then it is definitely something you need to sort out with L-M. If not, then check the options in the P3D4 user options dialogue -- there's one about information text which if you want displays in Peeds to be ticked. You unitck it if you want then divered to another windows or PC using FSUIPc facilities or "ShowText".

Check also the FSUIPC documentation about the options for displays on its from options screen, the ones below the 2about2 section. the RC instructions should tell you about setting those.

Pete

Sorry for the double post.

I will inform LM that it is a simply SimConnect Message Window which they say should show up in VR. I was worried that since FSUIPC remembers the size and position of the RC window and opens it at the next use according, which does work, that maybe that was confusing P3D and therefore wasn't being recognized.

I have read the RC and FSUIPC manuals and have everything checked as should be and it all works fine.

Thanks again for everything!

Joe 

9 hours ago, Powayjoe said:

I was worried that since FSUIPC remembers the size and position of the RC window and opens it at the next use according, which does work, that maybe that was confusing P3D and therefore wasn't being recognized.

That action is optional and in recent versions it is defaulted off. See your FSUIPC5.INI file. The parameter, in the [General] section, is:

RestoreSimcWindows=No

Change it if it is set differently.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pete

I contacted LM again regarding the Radar Contact window not showing up in VR and they responded saying the only interactive windows that will display in VR are Scaleform windows. Windows such as their ATC and the add-on SODE windows for example are Scaleform not SimConnect.

I know this might be way too much to ask but is it possible to provide the RC window in a scaleform format so all of us VR flyers can make use of it. If not could you direct me to where I might be able to get assistance in doing so?

Thanks again for all you have done for our hobby!

Joe

2 hours ago, Powayjoe said:

I contacted LM again regarding the Radar Contact window not showing up in VR and they responded saying the only interactive windows that will display in VR are Scaleform windows. Windows such as their ATC and the add-on SODE windows for example are Scaleform not SimConnect.

Ah, in that case you'll need to use the facilities to show the menu from RC elsewhere. But I assume you have to then take your VR headset off?

I know this might be way too much to ask but is it possible to provide the RC window in a scaleform format

That's really a need for Simconnect windows and menus to be scaleform. you need to register it as a future enhancement request. There are many SimConnect displays and menus from products which aren't under FSUIPC control. FSUIPC can intercept them and send them elsewhere (to a Lua plug-in or another PC via WideFS, for example). But I don't think it should re-route P3D displays it intercepts back to P3D in some other form. that should be done directly in P3D.

If not could you direct me to where I might be able to get assistance in doing so?

You'd need to get someone to write a module which a Lua plug-in (or maybe other program) could call which deals with this Scaleform system, whatever it is, and sends it back into P3D -- if that is possible. Sorry, i only know the SimConnect interface.

Pete