The simFlight Network Forums

CTD after P3d V4 load

Hello,

I have been battling a curious issue now for over a month.  I'm not 100% convinced it is specifically an issue with FSUIPC but thought I'd start here, as disabling FSUIPC prevents the CTD.

Most of my flying is for a VA, so my add-ons are pretty much static and don't change other than installing updates.  In March, I installed FSDT KLAX and immediately started having a CTD when loading a flight other than the P3D default scenario. (F-22 at Elgin).  Thinking this was something to do with FSDT, I uninstalled KLAX, then CYVR as well, but still had the CTD.

The CTD occurs after selecting an airport other than Elgin, and after the sim has loaded, within about 10 - 15 seconds.  I can see the scenery and hear the aircraft sound as normal, then the sound quits, then P3D closes, no error dialogs or anything.  Aircraft is default F-22, but the CTD occurs with any aircraft.

I continued to uninstall add-ons but the CTD persisted.  Finally, in frustration, I uninstalled P3d completely, and started over from scratch. I re-installed all my usual add-ons (as per the list below) and things were fine.  A week later, I started getting the same CTD, however, I noticed that it only happens at airports in the North American West, ie, airports covered by ORBX regions. (CYEG, CYYC, CYLW, CYVR, KSEA, KBUR, KEUG, KPDX etc.) I uninstalled ORBX regions, CTD persisted. I uninstalled ORBX completely, still the CTD persisted.  Finally,  I reinstalled P3D from scratch again, but didn't reinstall any ORBX. 

Things were fine for a week, so I slowly added ORBX back, piece by piece.  Everything was fine for another week, I did 15 or so successful flights mostly around western canada, but did 2 to Europe.

Yesterday, the CTDs came back.  Determined to find the cause I found a thread on Avsim regarding a similar issue, but described how to narrow down the crash.  I followed the suggestions of backing up and deleting scenery.cfg, p3d.cfg, and the dll.xml files. Once all that was done, no more CTDs.  Going through the dll.xml files, I found that removing the FSUIPC entry from the dll.xml file in the AppData folder stopped the CTDs.

Uninstalling / reinstalling FSUIPC doesn't help.  I feel likes there is perhaps a conflict with an addon, but it seems really strange that things are fine, then it just suddenly starts. 

My sim as it is now:  Default prepar3d.cfg and scenery.cfg (so all add-on scenery is not a factor). Aircraft addons still installed, but all testing was done with default F-22.

With FSUIPC in dll.xml: CTD occurs loading any Western North American airport as stated above. Airport anywhere else are fine (I tried 3 airports on each continent as well as several in central and eastern North America).

Removing FSUIPC from dll.xml:  No CTD, I can load any of the airports where the CTD occurred before.

Scenery Addons:
ORBX (Global, Vector, North America LC, Trees, Airport Pack, Lights, NorCal, SoCal, PNW, Pacific Fjords, Northern and Central Rockies)
FSDT CYVR
FlyTampa CYYZ & CYUL
FSimStudios CYYC
TomatoShade
REX Sky Force

Aircraft Addons:
PMDG 737 & 777
Majestic Q400
QW 787
Aerosoft Twin Otter
Aerosoft A320 Pro

Window Event Log:
Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 4.4.16.27077, time stamp: 0x5bfdbb35
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17763.348, time stamp: 0xd620e319
Exception code: 0xc0020001
Fault offset: 0x0000000000039149
Faulting process id: 0x3420
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4ece88f0420e8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: c3a05201-1611-4f60-a267-489b88c48fc3
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

FSUIPC Log:
********* FSUIPC5, Version 5.151 (21st February 2019) by Pete Dowson *********
Running inside Prepar3D v4
Module base=7FFD76FF0000
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit reported as Build 17763, Release ID: 1809 (OS 10.0)
Prepar3D.exe version = 4.4.16.27077
Reading options from "C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Modules\FSUIPC5.ini"
Checking the Registrations now ...
User Name=""
User Addr=""
FSUIPC5 not user registered
WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired
        0 System time = 06/04/2019 19:21:13
        0 FLT path = "D:\Users\Peter\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files\"
        0 Using DialogMode
       31 FS path = "C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\"
       46 LogOptions=00000000 00000001
       46 -------------------------------------------------------------------
       46 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
       46 Opened separate AI Traffic client okay
       46 ### PDKmodeHelper callback registered
     3750 Running in "Lockheed Martin® Prepar3D® v4", Version: 4.4.16.27077 (SimConnect: 4.4.0.0)
     3750 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
     3750 FSUIPC Menu entry added
     3796 ... Using Prepar3D with Professional License
     3828 C:\Users\kerbe\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D_Default.fxml
     3828 C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\Airplanes\IRIS Raptor Driver\Raptor.air
    16000 ### The user object is 'F-22 Raptor - 525th Fighter Squadron'
    16000 ### Mode is NORMAL
    17015 ### Mode: PAUSE on
    28421 Loading Complete ...
    28437 ### Mode is NORMAL
    29625 Aircraft loaded: running normally now ...
    29640 User Aircraft ID 2 supplied, now being used
    29796 System time = 06/04/2019 19:21:43, Simulator time = 14:00:01 (22:00Z)
    35796 -------------------- Starting everything now ----------------------

Thanks,

Peter

Edited by kerberos

6 hours ago, kerberos said:

With FSUIPC in dll.xml: CTD occurs loading any Western North American airport as stated above. Airport anywhere else are fine (I tried 3 airports on each continent as well as several in central and eastern North America).

Removing FSUIPC from dll.xml:  No CTD, I can load any of the airports where the CTD occurred before.

FSUIPC doesn't care where you are and does nothing differently in any place. But it does always read the weather -- using standard SimConnect facilities.

The trouble usually is that bad weather fies (.WX types, in your Documents folder) will cause crashes either in the SimConnect parts of P3D or elsewhere, even possibly in FSUIPC. Unfortunately, though these files are in a precise binary format designed to fit directly into tables in P3D, SimConnect appears to do no checks on them at all.

Since you are using an external weather program you don't really need the .WX files, so as a test first try deleting them before starting P3D. If you do this no more will be created until you save a flight.

You can also stop FSUIPC doing any weather actions whatsoever -- a rather extreme measure, but good as a test. This is by adding

NoWeatherAtAll=Yes

to the [General] section of FSUIPC5.INI.

In case it is really a scenery problem, note that uninstalling some scenery files does not clean out al the files they mayhave installed or modified. The uninstallers vary quite a bot.  And uninstalling P3D won't remove files which it didn't install in the first place.  You need to manually delete all the left-overs -- from the Documents,  AppData and ProgramData folders as well as its installation folder.

Pete

Hi Pete, thank you for the quick response.

The only .wx file in my %userprofile%\documents\prepar3d v4 is "Previous Flight.wx" and deleting this doesn't change anything. There are other .wx files in the Program Files\Lockheed Martin\ folder that appear to be for scenarios or flight plans (eg PMDG), but I'm not loading any of these.  I did try deleting all of these, but still had the CTD.

Adding NoWeatherAtAll=Yes to FSUIPC5.ini does prevent the CTDs.  I'm okay with this solution for now, but I would like to understand whats happening.  When I did the re-installs of P3D, I did do a "clean" install, deleting any and all folders that P3d and the add-ons use, and all registry entries.

I suppose its narrowed down to an issue with weather, but still odd that its only in certain areas.  I use FSRealWX Pro for weather, but have not had it running at all for any of the CTDs.  If you have any other suggestions to find the cause, that would be great, but I'm okay with this work around, at least I can use the ACARS program for my VA again.

Thanks again for your help, and also for everything you've done for the FS community!

Peter

2 hours ago, kerberos said:

Adding NoWeatherAtAll=Yes to FSUIPC5.ini does prevent the CTDs.  I'm okay with this solution for now, but I would like to understand whats happening. 

In that case it is a sure thing that something about the weather in the area in which you get the problem is corrupting things in SimConnect or elsewhere.

2 hours ago, kerberos said:

I use FSRealWX Pro for weather, but have not had it running at all for any of the CTDs.

So is there then no weather? Or is P3D getting some weather from somewhere? Maybe it's more related to the weather settings in P3D, though if that were the case it would be affecting a lot of folks.

There is one other file you can try deleting before running P3D (after re-enabling weather in FSUIPC as a test): "wxstationlist.bin", which is in your AppData\Roaming P3D folder. This shouldn't make any difference because FSUIPC should be deleting it at the end of each session in case it got corrupted. P3D restores it from its default when it finds it not there, -- that's in the P3D Weather folder. Maybe that one is corrupted. I don't know what P3D does if you remove that one (if you try, make a backup somewhere).

However, usually a corrupted wxstationlist.bin file will cause the crash straightaway, and is not depndent on where you fly. So this avenue seems unlikely to bear fruit in any case.

Pete

Hi Pete,

No, for all my testing I have NOT had a weather program running, its been P3D default Fair Skies (i think).

I've been busy with work, so haven't had time to try your other suggestion, but I will give it a shot in the next few days.

Thanks again for your help.

Peter

Edited by kerberos