The simFlight Network Forums

Can't get FSUIPC to talk to PM MCP/CPflight unit

Hi Pete, been a while.  Here is the problem.  I loaded PM's MCP software and have CPflight older MCP unit.  I am flying PM's P3D 737-800 model from their web site.  Before I loaded PM MCP, I was able to use the CPflight MCP hardware with the PM 737-800 default MIP panel and with PM's GC displays, (but with no FD or some other items) but it did work.  Now when I try thru FSUIPC to get the AP or AT disconnects to work nothing happens.  Enrico even tried by remote call into the sim PC but nothing happened when he hung up.    I have attached all my ini files if that helps you fig out what might be off.  What is strange is that when I program AP or AT dis in FSUIPC it makes the default PM 737's AP engage light flash and then a continuous cut off sound keeps going till I turn off the CPflight MCP hardware.  It must be a simple thing but any help you can send my way will be great.

Randy      

CPflight.ini

FSUIPC5.ini

mcp.ini

pfd.ini

pmSounds.ini

5 hours ago, SimRandy said:

efore I loaded PM MCP, I was able to use the CPflight MCP hardware with the PM 737-800 default MIP panel and with PM's GC displays, (but with no FD or some other items) but it did work. 

Okay, so CPFlight's MCP comes with a PMDG driver? Because the PMDG controls are not standard P3D controls.

Now when I try thru FSUIPC to get the AP or AT disconnects to work nothing happens. 

The PMDG autopilot is most certainly not using P3D controls. You need to assign to the custom controls published by PMDG.

What is strange is that when I program AP or AT dis in FSUIPC it makes the default PM 737's AP engage light flash and then a continuous cut off sound keeps going till I turn off the CPflight MCP hardware.

Sorry, I don't know what's going on there. But you need to use the 737NGX's own controls.  There's a list in PMDG's own documents -- see the 737NGX SDK folder. The .h file there lists them at the end. you assign by number in FSUIPC as <custom control>s.

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

Okay, so CPFlight's MCP comes with a PMDG driver? Because the PMDG controls are not standard P3D controls.

The PMDG autopilot is most certainly not using P3D controls. You need to assign to the custom controls published by PMDG.

Sorry, I don't know what's going on there. But you need to use the 737NGX's own controls.  There's a list in PMDG's own documents -- see the 737NGX SDK folder. The .h file there lists them at the end. you assign by number in FSUIPC as <custom control>s.

Pete

Hi Pete,

What is PMDG stand for?   Is it something with Project M?   I only use Project M 737-800 default with P3Dv4.    

Thanks

Not sure where to respond to you, but I think in this area.

What does PMDG stand for?   Is it Project M or some other airplane software?    If it is Project M's MCP software your talking about, I was at that custom controls at the top of the list,  however, I think it showed a Hex number or some other number that I have to put in?  I think Enrico had e mailed me that the number 99 was to be used?   Just what do I put in that custom controls window?      Thanks

Pete, I think this is the lists you want me to go to?   Was off one of your docs from the USFICP download.    But if correct, but do I do now?   I saw the different panels and such and codes/number for each item listed.  Thanks  

Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX [Revised edition for 737NGX update SP1d and FSUIPC 4.939f and later]

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST: 

Developers using FSUIPC to interface with the PMDG line of products must be aware of and 

7 hours ago, SimRandy said:

What does PMDG stand for?   Is it Project M or some other airplane software? 

Ah, sorry. When you say "PM 737" do you mean Project Magenta? They have a 737-800? If so, my mistake. The PMDG 737NGX is the most popularly used 737 model around so I thought that was what you meant. Best if you are more specific, saying "Project Magenta".

If you do really mean you are using Project Magenta software with their aircraft and their MCP, then everything should work fine if you keep to PM.

Your FSUIPC INI file only contains 2 button assignments:

0=P0,30,C65792,0     -{AUTOPILOT_ON}-
1=U0,30,C65791,0     -{AUTOPILOT_OFF}-

which will work directly with the PM 737 I think because as far as I can recall the latter is basically the default FS aircraft with all the same controls exactly.

However, the A/P on and A/P off controls should only operate the AP button on the MCP. The "AP DISCONNECT" is a larger lever-type switch below.  And you have no assignments for the A/T.

This is the crucial statement:in your message:

15 hours ago, SimRandy said:

Before I loaded PM MCP, I was able to use the CPflight MCP hardware with the PM 737-800 default MIP panel

This implies that CPFLight's MCP isn't compatible with PM's MCP. I'm not sure how having to MCPs is supposed to work. both have switches and buttons don't they?

15 hours ago, SimRandy said:

Now when I try thru FSUIPC to get the AP or AT disconnects to work nothing happens. 

What does this part mean? What did you "try" and what were you doing before? Assigning to FS controls in FSUIPC is the same as assgning them in FS itself.

I'm sorry, but so far I don't really see where FSUIPC comes into it. I know Project Magenta uses FSUIPC to read its data from FS, and to send its own controls to FS, but then where does the CPFlight MCP come into the equation?

Pete

Pete, thanks for the info, but now I am more confused than ever.

Your right, I am using the Project Magenta's 737-800 from their site for now.   

As of right now, my CPflight MCP 2004 MCP hardware unit DOES work with Project M's MCP software and or just with the Project M's 737-800.   When Project M's MCP boots up in the background, the CPflight's MCP hardware comes on automatically next.  There is in the Project M's  MCP ini file even a line that you put on or yes to that your using a CPflight unit with its com port #.   And when you make adjustments with the CPflight MCP unit, it shows up in the Project M's GC displays.  So all is OK there.

Its just when I go into FSUIPC to buttons, and try to program AP or AT disconnect, I am not sure just what or where to go.   Like I had said before Project M's MCP software, I could go into FSUIPC or P3D controls/buttons thru my Leo Badnar board and set AT or AP  disconnect OK.

When Enrico went into my sim PC thru Teamviewer about a few weeks ago,  I asked him to check out this problem and he went into FSUIPC to buttons, then went to the lists on the right for push and release and scrolled down to the PM items and clicked PM MCP off or master (one of those) but nothing happened after he had hung up.  I think even he was unsure just what to do?    

So what is layman's terms do you think is the problem and what should I try next.   I did check out this PMDG 737 site and prob will buy their plane, if everyone is using it.  

Thanks 

2 hours ago, SimRandy said:

And when you make adjustments with the CPflight MCP unit, it shows up in the Project M's GC displays.  So all is OK there.

Okay, so it is Project Magenta's control of the simulator  via the PM MCP. Are you sure the MCP responds to the CP Flight bittons, dials and switches as well, because it should be the PM MCP in charge.

Its just when I go into FSUIPC to buttons, and try to program AP or AT disconnect,

Surely you shouldn't need to do that!  If PM is reading the CP Flight MCP switches then PM should be handling the interface to the sim, whether via FSUIPC or not. 

So what is layman's terms do you think is the problem and what should I try next. 

The problem seems specific to PM's MCP program, and i really cannot help there. Enrico knows how to use FSUIPC logging et cetera to see whether his software is connecting a working well -- and from what you say it must be for many things if the GC displays are responding to the CPflight MCP? He shouldn't need to use Teamviewer to contorl your system, just asking for the appropriate logs should help him.

I did use PM years ago but long since gave it up in favour of ProSim. Maybe the PM suppot forums will help -- there must be other users.

I did check out this PMDG 737 site and prob will buy their plane, if everyone is using it.  

I don't know how many PM users are using PMDG. Very few to none I suspect. The PMDG system is complete, it has all its own subsystems.  External systems programs like PM and ProSim are then rather redundant.

Pete

Pete,

The Project M's MCP software is controlling the CPflight MCP hardware and of course, the PM GC displays.   When I show the PM MCP window, and either work the buttons on it or turn the CPflight MCP hardware buttons and dials, it shows up on the PM MCP.  Either or.  Of course,  I have it set for the PM MCP software to recognize the CPflight MCP hardware, and which ever one I turn dials or buttons on, it will show on the PM GC displays.  

I thought you were still active with PM and Enrico.  A year ago he came on remote cause my PM software was acting strange and he, by going right onto the PC,  found some errors and re structured things.   Anyway, I have been trying to reach him for 2 weeks, and nothing.   The last e mail from him was where he asked me to send him my ini files, which I did. 

So given that you know everything there is to know about home flight simming, if I don't want PM anymore, what should I get?   I had talked with Prosim, but at $1,200 US that was a bit pricey.   This PMDG for $70 us, and you say is complete,  I would assume comes with the ability to bring up its glass cockpit displays?  Are they of a good quality that I can drag them down and use as my GC displays?   Would its software work better with my CPflight MCP hardware and any future plug and play EFIS unit I might get?   If not, what besides Prosim should I look at?

Thanks

9 hours ago, SimRandy said:

The Project M's MCP software is controlling the CPflight MCP hardware and of course, the PM GC displays.

Surely it's main job is managing the Simulation, setting the values you see on its readouts and the state of its buttons and switches in the Sim. Also, of course, its main job -- controlling flight in autopilot and autothrottle modes!

It's the PM MCP's job to obey your inputs from your hardware MCP..

The GC displays will/should show the values and settings as read from the sim -- I am pretty sure the PM MCP does not do that. It wouldn't make sense.

From all you've said it sems that the hardware MCP is also displaying what it sees in the Sim, BUT the hardware switches and so on aren't seen by the PM MCP. So, bassically, you have two MCPs working independently and fighting each other with respect to certain switches and buttons.

I really don't know if the CPFlight MCP is intended to be used with Project Magenta or not. but if it is there should be some sort of driver or instructions to help set that up. Didn't Enrico ask about that? Does he know about the CPFlight MCP?

Of course,  I have it set for the PM MCP software to recognize the CPflight MCP hardware, and which ever one I turn dials or buttons on, it will show on the PM GC displays. 

But that could be the CPFlight setting the values directly into the Sim, and those of course being reflected on the GC displays (because that's certainly where they'll get them from), and on the MCP. Where you get the difficulty, the AP and AT button/switch, is likely because the autopilot and autothrottle are controlled by PM -- it overrides the built-in automatic systems.  Everything you've said really points to there being no actual communication between the hardware and softare MCPs.

Anyway, I have been trying to reach him for 2 weeks, and nothing.

Yes, he's often away tied up in his commercial sim ventures. He also has a family and does go on holidays. You need to try the PM Forum and the CPFLight one too.  There must surely be other users with both.

if I don't want PM anymore, what should I get?   I had talked with Prosim, but at $1,200 US that was a bit pricey. 

Yes, and really you need the complete cockpit. It isn't so suitable to a PC with the odd bit of hardware. I think you'd find the whole Project Mgenta suite not far off that price now too.

This PMDG for $70 us, and you say is complete,  I would assume comes with the ability to bring up its glass cockpit displays?  Are they of a good quality that I can drag them down and use as my GC displays?   Would its software work better with my CPflight MCP hardware and any future plug and play EFIS unit I might get? 

I don't use PMDG aircraft, but here's what I think:

The PMDG aircraft are complete. They have the full cockpit and every system is simulated. They are excellent for a good PC with you basic necessary controls -- yoke, rudder with toe brakes, and throttle quadrant. They don't need anything else, but you could use units with switches and buttons, like those from GoFlight, to operate it. I think there's even a "tabletop" overhead which has a driver for it (VRInsight?). 

But unless there' are drivers or third party software for hardware like MCPs, EFIS,  CDU it can be a lot of work, involving some programming, to interface them. The PMDG Boeings all have a published list of controls which are "custom", not FS controls, to operate every switch and dial, and even for using the CDU, but that's a lot of assignments to make. For read-outs of values for display on external hardware there are offsets mapped in FSUIPC to be used, but obviously that needs programming if there's no driver already made for it.

The PFD ND and EICAS displays can, I think, be undocked and moved to other screens on the same PC (but i may be wrong there).

All the above is only my understanding (except for the FSUIPC offsets and programmable <custom controls>), but you need to go the other Forums to seek real users opinions. I know there ARE users with external hardware and using PMDG aircraft, but I don't know what software they are using.

Another 737 which I think can be used in a distributed hardware setup, including networked ones, is the iFly one. That might be worth investigating.

Otherwise, sorry, I don't really know. You should be able to sort things out with Project Magenta which might remain your best bet since you have it already. Ask around in the Forums.

Pete