The simFlight Network Forums

Possibility to assign multiple custom control events to axis zones?

Hi,

I'm using FSUIPC for many years already, from FSX to P3D in various versions. I've never really had issues with it, but I now am trying to achieve something which doesn't seem to work for me, and I hope that someone can advise if it's actually possible what I am trying to do.

Currently, I'm using P3D v4.5 together with the PMDG 777; my controllers are the Saitek X-55 combination of Throttle and Flightstick.

I've now set up one of the axis on the throttle (rotary knobs) to have 10 zones, and these 10 zones trigger a custom control with various parameters. (This work perfectly)

Zone 1 - Custom Control 71733 (Glareshield Flood Light) - Parameter 0 (Off)
Zone 2 - Custom Control 71733 (Glareshield Flood Light) - Parameter 15 (10% brightness)
Zone 3 - Custom Control 71733 (Glareshield Flood Light) - Parameter 30 (20% brightness)
Zone 10 - Custom Control 71733 (Glareshield Flood Light) - Parameter 150 (100% brightness)

Now, I would like to add multiple custom controls to each zone, as the PMDG 777 has 4 different knobs and events for the Flood Lights (Glareshield, FWD Left, FWD Right, Pedestal). When I am trying to add the exact same line for the zone, but then with the different custom control, it does not work. Also when I go over the 10 lines for the axis, FSUIPC removes all lines from the FSUIPC.ini file.

Is there a way to still keep the 10 zones, but let each zone trigger 4 different custom controls, just as I would be able to do with a normal button?

Recap, I'd like the following to happen:

Zone 1 - Custom Control 71733 & 72852 & 72482 & 70369 - Parameter 0 (off)
Zone 2 - Custom Control 71733 & 72852 & 72482 & 70369 - Parameter 15 (10%)
etc.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, TranceSetter said:

Is there a way to still keep the 10 zones, but let each zone trigger 4 different custom controls, just as I would be able to do with a normal button?

As it stands the only way would be to use macros or Lua plug-ins for this. In fact mscros are designed for just such a purpose -- having a sequence of commands/controls delivered with one invocation. Macros would be more efficient than Lua plug-ins in this case.

Pete

Thank you for the quick response. Working with macros is fine for me, although I do not have experience with it. In the manual I see specifically a section about it, and it seems to work with recording mouse macros, but is it also possible to send custom control events with parameters in a macro? I can't find an example somewhere which I can use to apply to my configuration.

51 minutes ago, TranceSetter said:

is it also possible to send custom control events with parameters in a macro? I can't find an example somewhere which I can use to apply to my configuration.

Yes, that was what it was designed for. The Mouse Macro generation was added years later.

You must be only referring to the User Guide, where there is indeed a Mouse Macros chapter. It is in the User Guide because mouse macros are automatically generated for you via mouse click interception.

Because creating "normal" macros involved actually creating and editing files it is considered more advanced, and you'll find full coverage in the Advance User's manual. For FSUIPC5 this Chapter starts on page 36.

Pete

Hi Pete,

This weekend I have been able to put some time in it, and it works great via macros. I don't even need to specify the parameter in the macro files as I can pass it via the parameter in FSUIPC itself. I am really happy with the result.

Do have a question regarding my solution now though. As there are a max of 10 steps, I do have 1 set to off, and the other 9 as steps in brightness from low to max. As I have connected it to an axis, which goes from roughly -16000 to 16000, and the brightness control in the PMDG 777 can be set from 0 to 300, is there a way to translate the axis value to an equivalent in the 0 to 300 range, so that I get a smoother brightness level control?

10 hours ago, TranceSetter said:

As there are a max of 10 steps, I do have 1 set to off, and the other 9 as steps in brightness from low to max. As I have connected it to an axis, which goes from roughly -16000 to 16000, and the brightness control in the PMDG 777 can be set from 0 to 300, is there a way to translate the axis value to an equivalent in the 0 to 300 range, so that I get a smoother brightness level control?

Is the brightness control actually like an axis control, with the brightness as a parameter? If so then do it the same way as your macro.  To get the parameter form -16000 to +16000 converted to a value o to 300 it needs scaling. Please see 

Additional parameters to scale input axis values

on about page 42 of the Advanced User's manual. You would need something like +16000 (maybe more if it is really -16384, say) to get the range to 0 to 32000 then *0.0094 to convert that to 0-300. (300/32000 = 0.0094 approx). So add 

,*0.0094,+16000

to the end of the axis assignment in FSUIPC5.INI.

You might need to experiment a little to get it just right. You might also want to raise or lower the "delta" value for the axis (in the assignments tab).

Pete