The simFlight Network Forums

Controls with PDK

I am developing a new aircraft for Prepar3d v4 using PDK APIs. Initially I had my controls setup and calibrated through P3D, now I have moved to FSUIPC calibration and I can't read the position of the axis anymore. I configure the controls using the ControlMapFile.

However, the other add-ons I use are perfectly working. What do I have to change/add to my code to make it compatible with FSUIPC?

2 hours ago, tiger95 said:

I am developing a new aircraft for Prepar3d v4 using PDK APIs. Initially I had my controls setup and calibrated through P3D, now I have moved to FSUIPC calibration and I can't read the position of the axis anymore.

Can FSUIPC see the axis in its axis assignments tab?

FSUIPC intercepts axes via SimConnect at their normal reception priority, and, if they are calibrated, with flags set to stop them being sent on. An axis calibrated through FSUIPC is sent on to SimConnect at a lower proirity level. Otherwise there would be an infinite loop.

I suspect, for this reason, your method doesn't see them any more. You therefore cannot use FSUIPC for calibration.

Pete

7 hours ago, tiger95 said:

Yes I can see the axis in FSUIPC. So FSUIPC sends back the axis to SimConnect, is it correct?

If you don't calibrate, then Axis Assignment to standard Sim controls ("Axis ... Set") controls just sends the controls on to Simconnect as if you had assigned in P3D. But if you calibrate in FSUIPC it has to send them at a priority level where they are not being seen be FSUIPC again and continually re-processed.

7 hours ago, tiger95 said:

Does it mean that there is no way of using FSUIPC calibration with the ControlMapFile?

It looks like it. I am not familiar with "ControlMapFile". I am not really a PDK programmer -- John is more involved in that but he is on holidsy for a couple of weeks.

Reading about it briefly in the reference you gave it looks like just another method of assigning axes except then using them directly in your object. So it is effectively doing the same as FSUIPC except for the calibration.

PMDG boeing aircraft use axes directly as well, though I don't think they use the PDK for that. If you calibrate throttles, for example, in FSUIPC then the PMDG aircraft seem to get two values which can conflict if the calibration changes the axis value (which of course is rather the point).

Pete