The simFlight Network Forums

Empty Joystick Device Scan

6 minutes ago, scottike said:

I had been successfully running FSX-SE and FSUIPC but then my controls stopped working.  My yoke, trim wheel, throttles, and rudder all show up in the Windows game controller menu and function properly.  However, FSUIPC doesn't detect them.  Any ideas?

Can you please show me the FSUIPC4.joyscan.csv file from the same folder.

Pete

18 hours ago, scottike said:

It also didn't show any detected devices. 

So there are no entries in the Registry for any USB Joystick type devices, and also no response from DirectInput to requests for Joystick type devices.

That is really wierd. AND unique in my experience, unless there are truly no such devices.

You said:

18 hours ago, scottike said:

I had been successfully running FSX-SE and FSUIPC but then my controls stopped working.

Please, then, show me your FSUIPC4.INI file so I can see what devices it thought it saw and assigned previously.

When did they all stop working? What changed to do that? The software doesn't change by itself. You say Windows Game Controllers see them. Does FSX-SE?

Also please find and run HidScanner (it's one of the additional free software packages in www.fsuipc.com, and show the log that produces (it will be on screen and there will be a file in its folder too).

Pete

You asked the perfect question about FSX-SE seeing the controllers.  Apparently it wasn't.  I was dumbfounded by seeing a Windows Game Controller window (opened from Win10 settings) showing all my controllers.  Next to it was a duplicate window opened through FSX-SE settings showing no controllers.  Apparently this is an issue with some controller settings in the Steam client software.  I followed the instructions in the thread linked below and the controllers are now detected in FSX-SE again and also FSUIPC.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/1742228532895992362/

Thanks for the help!

Scott

47 minutes ago, scottike said:

I followed the instructions in the thread linked below and the controllers are now detected in FSX-SE again and also FSUIPC.

Excllent! Thanks for letting me know!

45 minutes ago, scottike said:

As to what caused the failure in the first place, I think my son may have plugged in an Xbox360 controller and I launched FSX without removing it.  I'm unclear why that would cause this cascade of failures, but it's the only thing I can think of.

Hmm. Yes, it does seem a very unreasonable thing to happen as a result!

Pete