The simFlight Network Forums

GoFlight GFDev64.dll in FSUIPC folder

Good evening Pete,

In order to (be able to) initialise and control connected GoFlight modules, may it possibly be that the new FSUIPC6 is expecting to find, and be looking for the required 'GFDev64.dll' in the folder where FSUIPC6 is installed (which is out of P3D 'Modules'-folder on my system)?

Noticed during my recent flight (with FSUIPC 6.0.3) that none of my GF modules had been initialised by FSUIPC6. Only after copying the file 'GFDev64.dll' from the P3D 'Modules'-folder (where it is installed per default by GoFlight installer) into the FSUIPC6 installation-folder were my GF modules successfully initialised and working normally again (as also confirmed by respective FSUIPC6.log).

Just wanted to let you know and give an eventual heads-up for other GoFlight users.

Cheers and best regards,

Stephan

44 minutes ago, Flater said:

Noticed during my recent flight (with FSUIPC 6.0.3) that none of my GF modules had been initialised by FSUIPC6. Only after copying the file 'GFDev64.dll' from the P3D 'Modules'-folder (where it is installed per default by GoFlight installer)

Really? Are you sure? No GoFlight installer I've seen has ever installed the driver in the Modules folder. The 32-bit version was included in the SDK which was in a folder linked via the Registry, and that was how FSUIPC used to find it. Maybe more recent versions of the GoFlight package included the 64-bit one too, but I really can't imagine it installing into Modules. After all it is a general use driver -- other programs use it too -- it isn't specifically for FSUIPC. And wouldn't the GoFlight installer fail if a Modules folder didn't exist because the User didn't have FSUIPC?

For 64-bit I just remember it always being up to the user to get it, and place it next to FSUIPC.  That's why we provide a copy in the Download Links subforum (see below).

On page 24 the FSUIPC User Guide says:

For GoFlight buttons to be recognised you must have the GoFlight module (GFDev64.dll) installed. If you install thel atest version of the GoFlight software the correct DLL may be installed automatically for you, but otherwise download it from the Download Links subforum on the FSUIPC Support Forum. Just place a copy into the FSUIPC installation folder, alongside FSUIPC6.DLL.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Kind of actually am quite sure: the latest GoFlight Interface software downloaded from GoFlight website (GFConfigSetup_2_28_0-2.zip) installs, amongst others, the mentioned GFDev64.dll (currently apparently version 2.2.8.0) into the P3D Modules folder. If i recall correctly (also from previously FSX days) it has been doing so for quite a while already (considering GF updates their software only once every decade or so... ;-)

Ok, admit had not taken notice of your mentioned note on page 24 of FSUIPC User Guide - my bad! - yet it explains how i resolved my previously identified issue.

Thanks for your great product and continuing efforts without which FS would be (for me at least) a whole different and far less interesting ball-game!

Cheers,

Stephan

1 hour ago, Flater said:

Kind of actually am quite sure: the latest GoFlight Interface software downloaded from GoFlight website (GFConfigSetup_2_28_0-2.zip) installs, amongst others, the mentioned GFDev64.dll (currently apparently version 2.2.8.0) into the P3D Modules folder. If i recall correctly (also from previously FSX days) it has been doing so for quite a while already (considering GF updates their software only once every decade or so... 😉

That's definitely news to me. Sorry. In my opinion that was a strange decision by GoFlight -- maybe one taken after Doyle Nickless relinquished control. Apart from changes like those we've done now, I'm sure there are other programs using the DLL and not necessarily on an install which has or otherwise needs a Modules folder. 

It was better when it was automatically installed in a standard folder somewhere with an Installed path entry in the Registry so programs could find it automatically.

Pete