The simFlight Network Forums

request: PFC.DLL enhancement to support FS2004's COM2 radio

Hi Pete,

Thus far I have been getting along swimmingly with the PFC support. However, recently I became aware (duh!) that FS2004 (and FS2002? I wasn't paying attention) support the concept of monitoring COM2 while still keeping COM1 as the primary transmit/receive channel - via the audio panel "BOTH" button. As you probably know this is useful during IFR flight when you're talking to ATC and yet need to get the weather at your destination airport. As things stand today in the PFC driver, I run the risk of missing an ATC call while I check the destination's wx.

You state in the PFC documentation:

"Note that the COM2 radio, provided with some FS2002 aircraft, is not accessible through this driver."

This is a formal request to see that changed. I don't know if you've figured out the offsets or whatever that represent COM2 in the sim, but it sure would be nice to have the *option* of having the PFC stack's COM2 radio interact with FS's COM2.

And, while I'm at it, it would be almost as cool if the standby frequency windows of the PFC stack truly corresponded to those in FS2004.

Thanks for listening,

Dave Blevins

This is a formal request to see that changed. I don't know if you've figured out the offsets or whatever that represent COM2 in the sim, but it sure would be nice to have the *option* of having the PFC stack's COM2 radio interact with FS's COM2.

The problem is that all of that code was written in FS2000 days when there was no COM2. I can add support for it, but it is a big job so I would need to schedule it for a quieter time. There's so much still to do in FSUIPC for FS2004 that I cannot see this happening before Christmas, I'm afraid. But it is on the list.

And, while I'm at it, it would be almost as cool if the standby frequency windows of the PFC stack truly corresponded to those in FS2004.

Why? Surely, with a REAL stack you don't also display the FS panel stack? It is much more efficient for the PFC to keep and maintain its own standby frequencies, and these then apply to all FS aircraft including those without.

I really would be very reluctant to reduce the PFC DLLs independence in that area. If there was good justification for it I would relent, but I don't see it really.

The most I would consider is copying the PFC standby frequencies to the FS standbys, so they look the same if you were ever to look (why?). But changing the FS ones or using the FS "swap" button would then not update the PFC standby displays. If that is acceptable I'll add it to the list.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Why? Surely, with a REAL stack you don't also display the FS panel stack? It is much more efficient for the PFC to keep and maintain its own standby frequencies, and these then apply to all FS aircraft including those without.

you are right, but there is one situation I can think of where this would be a handy feature. In FS9 it is possible to use the new GPS to find out frequencies of airports and facilities. If you then highlight the desired frequency on the GPS using the cursor and press the button the freq is swapped into the stanby portion of the apropriate receiver and at the moment this can not be seen unless the FS radiostack is displayed. Also the freq can't be activated without clicking the swap button on the FS radiostack.

Regards,

Frank

there is one situation I can think of where this would be a handy feature. In FS9 it is possible to use the new GPS to find out frequencies of airports and facilities. If you then highlight the desired frequency on the GPS using the cursor and press the button the freq is swapped into the stanby portion of the apropriate receiver and at the moment this can not be seen unless the FS radiostack is displayed. Also the freq can't be activated without clicking the swap button on the FS radiostack.

Actually I could get round both those problems simply by watching for changes in the FS standby frequencies and copying changes to the PFC display.

The only part I wouldn't want to do is the reverse -- have the PFC controls manipulate the FS standby and swap operation. As you may have noticed, on the PFC avionics it is much more efficient and responsive to adjust the standby then swap, rather than adjust the main frequency directly -- try the latter on one of the NAV's when the standby display shows the radial to see what I mean. The reason for this difference is that the standby frequencies are currently totally contained within the PFC driver, but for changing in-use frequencies each increment and decrement has to be passed on to FS.

Provided you don't display or use the FS radio stack on screen, if PFC copies change FS standby values to the PFC avionics, that would meet the need, wouldn't it? If so I'll add it to the list.

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Provided you don't display or use the FS radio stack on screen, if PFC copies change FS standby values to the PFC avionics, that would meet the need, wouldn't it? If so I'll add it to the list.

certainly - that would do the trick.

But - by the way - I personally do not request such a change. Since I find it more enjoyable to navigate with VOR, NDB and DME I just use the GPS as a map from time to time. I stumbled across this when reading the doc about the GPS and thougth I should mention it.

Regards,

Frank