The simFlight Network Forums

Development And Registration

Pete,

I integrated FSUIPC into my FS 9 DLL module. FSUIPC_Open2(), read and process calls all run without errors. However the result for any value I try to read is 0. I assume the reason is that my FSUIPC version is not registered. Is that so ?

If so, should I buy myself a personal key and use that for development or is there a special developer key I can use until my project is completed ? At this point in time I don't really have any use for the features of the registered version. (It's not that I have a problem buying my own registration, I just like to clarify so I understand what's going on).

I assume if I have a fully registered version I don't need to do the write to 0x8001 and should get the values I need. Is that correct ?

Once my project turns into something I would like to release, I will get a code for my application. (I understand that we will have to find an agreement, depending on if this is going to be freeware or not, in order to get the key).

Once I have my key I will code it into my module by writing it to the 0x8001 offset. Does that mean the user won't have to type it in then or is that still necessary ?

How does FSUIPC know this key and application combination is ok and return the correct data ? Do you have to release a new version of FSUIPC with the codes embedded in order for it to work or is it somehow calculated from the module name ? If so, couldn't I just fake it out by pretending my module is Squawkbox or AFCAD or something else that's free ?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm a little confused about this.

Thanks,

Sub

I integrated FSUIPC into my FS 9 DLL module. FSUIPC_Open2(), read and process calls all run without errors. However the result for any value I try to read is 0. I assume the reason is that my FSUIPC version is not registered. Is that so ?

If you are talking about FSUIPC version 3, yes. You can actually check these things by looking at the FSUIPC LOG.

If so, should I buy myself a personal key and use that for development or is there a special developer key I can use until my project is completed ?

There's no free developer's key. I'd really hoped that developers would actually register FSUIPC, as I don't charge for either developer support nor all the work on the SDK. If you really don't want to register then you'll need an access key for your program. The access registration documentation in the FSUIPC SDK will tell you all about that.

I assume if I have a fully registered version I don't need to do the write to 0x8001 and should get the values I need. Is that correct ?

Correct. But if you want your program to be used by other, non-registered, folks then it will need the key.

Once my project turns into something I would like to release, I will get a code for my application. (I understand that we will have to find an agreement, depending on if this is going to be freeware or not, in order to get the key).

Yes. If it is free ware (or you make a small charge merely to cover distribution costs, for instance) then the key would be free. If you want an interim key (one with a time limit on) whilst you are developing and before you've decided about free/payware status, let me know. You'll need to send an email to my standard email address -- see the details in the Freeware Keys "sticky" above. But please read the registration document first.

Once I have my key I will code it into my module by writing it to the 0x8001 offset. Does that mean the user won't have to type it in then or is that still necessary ?

The two methods are alternatives. The manual entry facility was only to allow older programs or modules or gauges to be registered without making program changes. It is better for the user if the registration is done automatically by the program.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks, Pete. Sorry about asking so many questions :oops:. I did read most of the docs but as I am new to FSUIPC I just wanted to confirm some of the details.

I just bought my copy at SimMarket and I am now waiting for my registration code.

Thanks again,

Sub