The simFlight Network Forums

Throttle settings died all of a sudden

hvw

After starting up MSFS2020 for the first time today I found that the throttle settings in FSUIPC7 no longer worked. I could either set the throttles to full throttle or to idle, no position in between was "recognized". I calibrated the throttles several times ((separate throttle per engine), but FS2020 simply refuses to react. 
Nothing was changed after I shut my computer down yesterday. I also deleted the fsuipc7.ini file and let a new one being built, to no avail unfortunately. Now FS2020 only responds to the throttle in its "highest" position, full throttle, and to its "lowest" position (Idle). Idle used to be in the stick's middle position, full throttle in the highest position and full reverse in the lowest joystick throttle position.
Before today the throttles worked perfectly in FS2020 and its Airbus A320Neo. I wonder what I might be overlooking to get the throttles going as expected after (re)calibrating them.
I am on Windows10-64, Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X and solely using the Airbus 320 in FS2020. FYI, under P3D (FSUIPC6) all still is working fine. 

Thanks for your assistance,
Hans van Wijhe

Something must have changed. Do you have your original FSUIPC7.ini? If so, please show me that together with your FSUIPC7.log file.

35 minutes ago, hvw said:

I also deleted the fsuipc7.ini file and let a new one being built, to no avail unfortunately.

But if you let it rebuild a new one you will have lost all your assignments.

I really can't help unless you show me your .ini and .log files. For the log, you can also activate logging for Axes Controls, which will show what axes controls are being sent to the sim.

AGreed, something must have changed during shutdown or restarting of the computer, but I don't know what. Attached John Dowson.rarplease find the original ini file that I used, plus the latest log file. If you need more information, please let me know and I'll be more than happy to provide it.

[Programs]
RunIf1=CLOSE,D:\ASP3D\ASP3D\ASP3D.exe -simVersion=5
RunIf2=CLOSE,D:\Little Navmap\littlenavmap.exe
RunIf3=CLOSE,D:\Flight Crew A320 MSFS2020\Flight Crew A320_x86.exe
// RunIf3=CLOSE,D:\rc4x\rcv4.exe
// RunIf4=CLOSE,C:\FSPS\FFTF Dynamic P3Dv5\FFTF Dynamic P3Dv5.exe

Those ines I highlighted are incorrect. To comment out lines in the ini file, use a semi-colon ';'.
Please correct that, although I don't think this will fix your issue.

Can you try with that original ini (with the above corrected), activate Axes Controls logging, load up the Neo and move your throttle through its full range, from idle to full and back again to idle (or into reverse, if you are using reverse zones). Than show me your log and tell me how you saw the throttle move in the UI.

Btw, for the A320, you can assign the throttle  (to the THROTTLEn_SET controls) to the full axes range with no reverse zone. You can then assign a button (or key) to the Throttle Reverse Thrust Toggle control. Then, activating this control (when aircraft is on the ground) will allow the full throttle axis range to control reverse thrust. Toggling this control again will switch between reverse and forward thrust.

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

Can you try with that original ini (with the above corrected), activate Axes Controls logging, load up the Neo and move your throttle through its full range, from idle to full and back again to idle (or into reverse, if you are using reverse zones). Than show me your log and tell me how you saw the throttle move in the UI.

Hi John,

I moved the throttle from idle (middle position) to full (upper position), then back to idle (middle position) and then to full reverse (lower position). In the UI the Neo's throttle went to full  throttle when my joystick was all the way up, then Neo's position remained there until the joystick throttle went to the lower position as did the Neo throttle.

I am not all that keen of having a button to toggle between forward and reverse thrust. As mentioned, all went perfectly well until this morning with the Thrustmaster going from idle to full or reverse by just moving the its throttle. (In P3D it's working perfectly like this as well, just as a fyi).
I'm still wondering what might have been causing this present malfunction. I hope you can point me into the right direction. Attached please find the Axes logfile Thanks for all your help.

Hans

FSUIPC7.log

423406 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65820 (0x0001011c), Param= 16383 (0x00003fff) THROTTLE1_SET
   423406 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65821 (0x0001011d), Param= 16383 (0x00003fff) THROTTLE2_SET
   423453 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65820 (0x0001011c), Param= 16384 (0x00004000) THROTTLE1_SET
   423453 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65821 (0x0001011d), Param= 16384 (0x00004000) THROTTLE2_SET
   427141 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65820 (0x0001011c), Param= -3276 (0xfffff334) THROTTLE1_SET
   427141 ***  AXIS: Cntrl= 65821 (0x0001011d), Param= -3276 (0xfffff334) THROTTLE2_SET

Well, the log shows the movements as described - to full forward then straight to (near) full reverse, with no in-between values....
What do you see in the in/out boxes in the axes assignments tab for your throttle axis? I ask as it looks like your throttle is no longer sending the full axis range values. Can you also check that axis in windows game controllers? 

It may be that your axes has been switched to digital input somehow  in the registry - see the following (even though your device isn't a Saitek one):

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

What do you see in the in/out boxes in the axes assignments tab for your throttle axis? I

See attached screenshot of the in/out boxes. I also found that in P3D the throttle is not working as expected either. (It did early this morning hence I said it was working correctly). You are right, it seems that the full range is not being sent to the simulator. Moving the throttle on the joystick only a tad forward results in a full throttle in the simulators (P3D and FS2020).

I followed the instructions given in the "fixes problems with 50% etc" article, but no cigar. I ran HidScanner to find the PID number for my Thrustmaster, but can't figure out what the correct number is. Can you help me out again, please?

This is the header given by HidScanner for the joystick
Device at "\\?\hid#vid_044f&pid_b108#6&35a65181&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}"
  Vendor=044F, Product=B108 (Version 1.0)
  Manufacturer= Thrustmaster
  Product= T.Flight Hotas X
  Serial Number= T.Flight Hotas X

Looks as if I am being seriously grounded 🙂

Hans

FSUIPC7_Axis.jpg

Just wondering. Isn't it strange that in both P3D and FS2020 all axis but the throttle ones are working perfectly? In Windows' Game Controller the throttle is indicating that it works 100% correctly

Edited by hvw
Additional info.

14 hours ago, hvw said:

I ran HidScanner to find the PID number for my Thrustmaster, but can't figure out what the correct number is. Can you help me out again, please?

Your ID number is  pid_b108, and your VID number is vid_044f.  Did you find (and remove)  anything in the registry under those strings?

It is strange that the Windows Game Controllers indicates it is working correctly. Did you try to re-calibrate anyway?
If this is a problem with all aircraft in both sims, it does sound like a registry or device driver issue.

6 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Your ID number is  pid_b108, and your VID number is vid_044f.  Did you find (and remove)  anything in the registry under those strings?

It is strange that the Windows Game Controllers indicates it is working correctly. Did you try to re-calibrate anyway?
If this is a problem with all aircraft in both sims, it does sound like a registry or device driver issue.

None of the given numbers were in the two sections of the registry. Last night I did find the IDs as described in Pete's message (fpr a Sitek and deleted them), followed the further procedures in that message, but still to no avail.

Indeed it is a problem with all aircraft in both sims, I guess I have to dive deep in my treasure chest and buy a new joystick. Hopefully, in this case, it indeed is a hardware issue and that I don't run into the same issue with the new stick. 

As a last attempt I will uninstall the Thrustmaster driver(s) and see if that helps any.