The simFlight Network Forums

Offset for which fuel selector/tank positions are available?

pilotjohn

I see there's a "number of fuel selectors available in this aircraft" reading, but how can I tell which specific ones are available?

I'd like to assign a key to sequentially toggle through them (except the off position) with a script, but I would need to know which ones I can switch to.

8 hours ago, pilotjohn said:

I see there's a "number of fuel selectors available in this aircraft" reading, but how can I tell which specific ones are available?

Sorry, but I don't understand where this quote comes from or what it means, or which aircraft you are talking about.

Regardless, after loading the aircraft onto the runway you can select the Fuel icon from the menu that pops up when you move your mouse to the top of the screen. This is one way to fuel the aircraft and shows you what tanks are available.

You could also look in the aircraft's flight_model.cfg file under ]Fuel] and see what fuel tanks the aircraft has.

Al

It's offset 123E.

Let me try to clarify what I'm trying to achieve.

I have a button which I would like to use to toggle through available fuel tanks selections in sequence (e.g. L, R, Both, Aux L, Aux R for example). In order to do this, I need to programmatically determine which tanks are available in the aircraft through some FSUIPC offset. I see there's an offset for finding the number of tanks, but I didn't notice one for which tanks are available.

3 hours ago, pilotjohn said:

It's offset 123E.

Let me try to clarify what I'm trying to achieve.

I have a button which I would like to use to toggle through available fuel tanks selections in sequence (e.g. L, R, Both, Aux L, Aux R for example). In order to do this, I need to programmatically determine which tanks are available in the aircraft through some FSUIPC offset. I see there's an offset for finding the number of tanks, but I didn't notice one for which tanks are available.

Ah, I see, sorry I misunderstood.

Couple of ideas.

I wonder if you tried to read the fuel quantity of a tank that did not exist if you would get a null response -- if so that would be a way to tell if a tank exists or not. However, you might get a 0 value back which I assume could be a valid value.

Or you could try to "fill" each tank with a particular quantity of fuel and then read back the tank value. Getting back a 0 or null value would tell you the tank doesn't exists, I think. Or better perhaps, read a tank value, if non-zero that tank probably exists, if null it probably doesn't exist, if zero fill it to some level and read back the tank value to check if it exists but was just empty. Something like this is probably worth a try.

I also see for reciprocating and turbine engines there are offsets like 0x3884  which is "Reciprocating engine 1 tanks used, a bit mask"  and offset 0x2058   "Turbine Engine 1 Tanks Used, a bit mask" that might be worth looking into. I don't know if these offsets define the tanks available to each engine or not.

Of course, how well the current MSFS SDK supports all this might be an issue.

Al