The simFlight Network Forums

Offset numbers for MSFS

Dan Becker

Hello, I have had some success using Microsoft Flight Simulator, MobiFlight, FSUIPC7, and a 12 switch Arduino Mega box I have made to control my Cessna 172 cabin controls.

The MobiFlight config is missing a few controls I want to add that are available in FSUIPC7. I am having a little confused about them in the FSUIPC7 documentation. For example, PARKING_BRAKES shows as 65752 in the "Controls List for MSFS Build 999.txt" file. However it shows as 0BC8 in the "FSUIPC7 Offsets Status.pdf" file. These numbers don't appear related in my Hex to Decimal calculator.

Can anyone tell me how the numbers are related or what the proper document for offset and sizes are in FSUIPC7?

Thanks, Dan Becker

26 minutes ago, Dan Becker said:

For example, PARKING_BRAKES shows as 65752 in the "Controls List for MSFS Build 999.txt" file. However it shows as 0BC8 in the "FSUIPC7 Offsets Status.pdf" file. These numbers don't appear related in my Hex to Decimal calculator.

You are confusing controls with offsets.
Controls (or events) are "commands" that you send to the FS. The number (decimal) isn't really important. This is just the number/id that the "key string" has been assigned.

The offset "area" is a block of memory that holds sim data that you can read, and an equivalent block of memory that you can write to. These "offsets" are populated (usually) from simulator variables. Writing to an offset can result in either a direct update of a simulator variable (documented in the FSUIPC offsets document as 'Ok-SimC') or the sending of a 'control' (documented as 'Ok-SimE'). Nut really, as an end user, the distinction isn't important.

An offset will have a size and a type (as defined in the documentation). A control is just a command with an  optional parameter. Many controls can also be activated/sent by writing to the offsets. So, to set the parking brakes, you can either send the Parking Brakes control (which I believe is a toggle control), or you can (try) writing 1 (for on) or 0 (for off) to offset 0BC8 as a 2-byte (unsigned) integer.

I say try as I'm not sure if this is working with MSFS. If you try this, let me know if its working or not and I can update the offsetStatus spreadsheet accordingly.
There is another related simulator variable called BRAKE PARKING INDICATOR,  which I guess just controls (or shows) the state of the parking brake indicator light. This simvar has not yet been added to the offset area - its one of those towarsds the end of the spreadsheet under 'The following simvars are available but currently not requested: '

John

Thanks John, that is quite helpful.

The Parking Brake and Pitot Heat are two elements that work in MSFS through MobiFlight and FSUIPC7. The MobiFlight config file shows these at offset 0c0BC8 and 0x029C which corresponds to the information you published in "FSUIPC7 Offsets Status.pdf".

However there are lots of missing controls missing in the MobiFlight config. I am trying to add Fuel Pump, Fuel Selector, Carb Heat/Deice, Cabin Lights, and Doors.

I think you gave me enough info to experiment with the information in your PDF document.

Thanks, Dan Becker

Ok. However, for the Doors, most of the older controls don't seem to work, as in MSFS the doors are linked to ground services, so requesting catering services opens the catering door, requesting boarding opens the main door, etc. However, an extra control was added that bypasses this - TOGGLE_AIRCRAFT_EXIT_FAST. There's an existing topic on the doors offset: 

I'm pretty sure there are also topics on some of the other functions you are trying to add that may be useful (although difficult to find in these forums!).