The simFlight Network Forums

Request for AutoSave

Peter, I have a request for your AutoSave utility. Could you please add some menu interface in FS2004 that allows you to turn off the autosaving at some point in the flight?

A typical use case would be something like the following: I am entering an approach on a trip and come in to land. I decide to practice the approach again, and I want to be able to rely on the last three autosaves to take me to precise locations. I stop autosave at that point and then select various autosaves from the last 15 minutes until I locate the one of interest. I can then go back to that point repeatedly.

Another request: if FSUIPC is installed, do you have any way to inquire to the current aircraft what its settings are and then attempt to save those off and restore them as well? I have several aircraft that are badly misbehaved when you attempt to restart a saved session. Many aircraft settings are wrong and have to be quickly corrected. In addition, Microsoft's Garmin-like GPS does not correctly re-establish its settings when you restore a saved session.

Could you please add some menu interface in FS2004 that allows you to turn off the autosaving at some point in the flight?

Not a menu, I think there's far too many of those already. how about a HotKey, you could define it in the INI file? A toggle.

Another request: if FSUIPC is installed, do you have any way to inquire to the current aircraft what its settings are and then attempt to save those off and restore them as well?

All "aircraft settings" should be saved in the Flight file. that's what it's for. AutoSave doesn't save any files at all itself, it simply calls the same routine as FS's Flights-Save menu option. What's missing? Look in a FLT file and see all the stuff FS saves.

I have several aircraft that are badly misbehaved when you attempt to restart a saved session. Many aircraft settings are wrong and have to be quickly corrected.

I can only think these are 3rd party add-ons doing their own thing and not using FS values. There's really no way I'd have acces to those even if AutoSave was to get involved in file transfers. This is really something the aircraft/panel makers could take care of themselves, like the .FMS files saved by one well-known example.

In addition, Microsoft's Garmin-like GPS does not correctly re-establish its settings when you restore a saved session.

Really? That's an FS deficiency then, and should be reported to Micrsoft! Again, I'm not sure I can even get the data let alone restore it on reload. All that stuff is done by FS, not I. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete