The simFlight Network Forums

In addition to GPSOut, can we have a GPSIn?

Peter, have you given any thought to producing a counterpart to GPSOut named GPSIn? This would allow FS2004 to get its spacial orientation based on an attached GPS. It would be a novelty to take on commercial flights, to compare the FS2004 terrain against the real thing.

For real world pilots, this might help in situational awareness, although I'm sure for legal reasons you would need to disclaim such a use to avoid liability.

Peter, have you given any thought to producing a counterpart to GPSOut named GPSIn? This would allow FS2004 to get its spacial orientation based on an attached GPS. It would be a novelty to take on commercial flights, to compare the FS2004 terrain against the real thing.

No, not from me. But it would be easy enough for anyone to write an external program to do that using the FSUIPC interface. It would be pretty jerky unless the program interpolated quite a bit between readings -- I think most GPS outputs are not frquent enough for reasonable fps without some crafty programming.

This question, or similar, has arisen several times and I'm sure someone somewhere must either have done such a thing already, or be working on it now. Try doing a Google search.

Regards,

Pete

Or run the Reality XP FSGarmin GNS530 on your small LCD with a hagström keyboard emulator and GNS530 -like knobs and buttons? :)

I wouldnt trust the reliability too much though, but it would undoubtedly be a nifty gadget toy :shock:

Speaking of GPS though.. GRRR. There *must* be a way to "slave" a Garmin from external data.. so many flight training devices do it (and they use real garmin GNS units..) Gah. I guess I should sneak in to the local flight school and dump some RS232 traffic on the laptop8)

I hope the garmin tech support gives some clues about this.

Tuomas