The simFlight Network Forums

MSFS - FSUIPC 7+ - Issue with OS and sim app focus

canuck21a

Hello,

Lately I have been encountering an issue that is more than perplexing. On occasion whilst in game attempts to switch from MSFS (Deluxe+Store Version) to another app or even to have the Windows 10 Start button work have been prevented. Windows 10 Pro and MSFS are all up to date.

Under normal circumstances one can click outside the sim to the desktop or other running app and the sound from the sim will stop. Other applications can be then accessed.

What is happening  now is that once FSUIPC is connected to the sim after a few minutes it is no longer possible to change focus from the sim. Clicking on another app simply gives a quick flash of the form but does not take focus. All the while the sim sound is continuing.

The only way I have been able to get back to the OS is to go back to the sim main menu.

I have tried cleaning out the nvidia drivers and starting fresh. Also reverted to the release version of FSUIPC 7 but the same thing is happening and it appears to be now a constant issue.

Install and run logs attached for reference.

Hoping that somebody has experienced this and has a solution.

FSUIPC7-DRW-logs.zip

18 hours ago, canuck21a said:

Hoping that somebody has experienced this and has a solution.

No. But you log is very strange:

3141 Simulator detected
     8219 SimConnect_Open succeeded
     8219 Running in "KittyHawk", Version: 11.0.282174.999 (SimConnect: 11.0.62651.3)
     8219 MSFS version = 11.0.282174.999
     8219 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
    11281 === Calling SimConnect_Close ...
    11500 === SimConnect_Close done!
    11500 === AI slots deleted!
    93016 SimConnect_Open succeeded
    93016 Running in "KittyHawk", Version: 11.0.282174.999 (SimConnect: 11.0.62651.3)
    93016 MSFS version = 11.0.282174.999
    93016 Initialising SimConnect data requests now
   134984 === Calling SimConnect_Close ...
   135203 === SimConnect_Close done!
   135203 === AI slots deleted!
  2096734 SimConnect_Open succeeded
  2253141 MSFS no longer running - exiting

This shows that closed and re-connected a few times (connected after 8s, disconnected at 11sm connected at 93s then disconnected again at 134s, reconnecting again at 2096seconds...MSFS closed 26s later), but was closed for the majority of your session!

18 hours ago, canuck21a said:

What is happening  now is that once FSUIPC is connected to the sim after a few minutes it is no longer possible to change focus from the sim. Clicking on another app simply gives a quick flash of the form but does not take focus. All the while the sim sound is continuing.

FSUIPC7 will change the focus to to MSFS only to send a key press. Do you have key press assignments to buttons on repeat by any chance?
Could you enable logging for events and buttons and produce a log file when you have your issue. Attach that, together with your FSUIPC7.ini file and I'll take a look.

John

Thanks for the reply John,

I did some more checking this morning.

I began by loading the XCub which has one of the advanced avionics (Garmin?). I had FSUIPC set to not auto-connect.

I started the flight and observed what happened when I clicked on the sim and then on the desktop. Everything worked.

I then connected FSUIPC. Almost immediately the act of clicking outside the sim did not result in happiness. Could not get focus on any other running app including FSUIPC.

I went back to the main menu and FSUIPC was active again. I disconnected FSUIPC. I then, as I have been flying the A320 of late, I loaded the A320. When I then enabled FSUIPC everything worked. I then changed to various airliners. All worked. Note that I did not restart the sim during these tests.

I then went to the jets. They all worked. Same for turboprops.

I then went back to  prop planes and loaded the Asobo C172 (analogue gauges). It worked without issues.

I completed an online flight using FSUPIC and an associated app. Everything worked without any issues.

It almost seems that something happens when the Garmin avionics are involved ?

The only thing that I have set in FSUIPC is a Saitek quadrant low throttle detent set to "F2" to invoke reversers.

I shall set up some further tests to see if I can capture  events and send to you.

19 minutes ago, canuck21a said:

It almost seems that something happens when the Garmin avionics are involved ?

Yes, your description of the tests indicates that this is somehow causing your issue.

19 minutes ago, canuck21a said:

I shall set up some further tests to see if I can capture  events and send to you.

Ok, please do. And attach you FSUIPC7.ini as well.

John

I shall post the items the next time I run into the issue. For some strange reason when I start MSFS and FSUIPC after making those previous tests and having good results for a time with the standard avionics everything seems to be working again with the XCub. Really strange. Almost like MSFS remembers things that maybe it should not.

16 minutes ago, canuck21a said:

I shall post the items the next time I run into the issue. For some strange reason when I start MSFS and FSUIPC after making those previous tests and having good results for a time with the standard avionics everything seems to be working again with the XCub. Really strange. Almost like MSFS remembers things that maybe it should not.

Yes, sounds strange...I've no idea what's occurring. Keep the logging activated, and send me the files the next time you experience your issue.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

I have been watching my sim and FSUIPC since my last report.

I recalled one of your comments regarding possible repeated keypress events. 

On one flight all was going well and then something changed to cause the sim to take over the PC; that is, could not refocus to any other application. I then chose to toggle my Saitek flight quadrant throttle lever to its full down detent (FSUIPC F2 repeat for reversers) back to where it was before. 

The issue disappeared ! I had my PC back.

Since then I have taken the time, once FSUIPC is loaded, to move my throttle in and out of detent and other quadrant levers to maybe get them to be calmed down. I have yet to experience the dreaded sim take-over since.

Fingers crossed !