The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC and PMDG 737 NGXu

After reading the PMDG 737 NGXu Introduction manual I noticed this entry:

"The PMDG 737NGXu is fully compatible with FSUIPC except that we recommend that you do not calibrate your flight controllers through FSUIPC. We recommend that you use the driver/software that comes with your hardware."

Is this something you are aware of?  They are not exactly rubbishing FSUIPC but I find it strange they should say it.  So, I wonder if you have any response.  Are there issues to be cautious about?  Why would they say it?

I'm using FSUIPC in my hardware cockpit for calibration (mostly Opencockpits parts) and so far there hasn't been any issues.  But then again I've just completed a total rebuild after installing the latest P3D and PMDG software, so it's is early days for me.  I have noticed that sometimes (and for what cause I don't know) a button assignment will either disappear or fail or change.  But I put that down to the weather (why not?) and get on with it.  But if there are some valid issues, what might I do to avoid them?

With best wishes

Father Dane

28 minutes ago, FatherDane said:

"The PMDG 737NGXu is fully compatible with FSUIPC except that we recommend that you do not calibrate your flight controllers through FSUIPC. We recommend that you use the driver/software that comes with your hardware."

Is this something you are aware of?  They are not exactly rubbishing FSUIPC but I find it strange they should say it.  So, I wonder if you have any response.  Are there issues to be cautious about?  Why would they say it?

Yes, we are aware of it. There are issues when calibrating for PMDG aircraft in FSUIPC due to priority levels of the axis controls being sent. However, you can still assign in FSUIPC but assign to the FS control and not direct to FSUIPC calibration. However, this may be depend on the axis (e.g. throttle vs aileron/elevator). Best to just try and see what works for you. If you assign to FSUIPC calibration and calibrate, but you then suffer from a jittery axis, then this is usually a sign that different values are being received (due to the priority level issue mentioned) and you should switch back to 'Send yo FS' and not calibrate.

33 minutes ago, FatherDane said:

I'm using FSUIPC in my hardware cockpit for calibration (mostly Opencockpits parts) and so far there hasn't been any issues.

Ok, then just leave it as it is!

33 minutes ago, FatherDane said:

I have noticed that sometimes (and for what cause I don't know) a button assignment will either disappear or fail or change.

Then can't (or shouldn't) happen. Next time it happens, post again with your FSUIPC log and ini files and I'll take a look. Would be better if, once it occurred, you could activate logging for buttons & switches and events, and press the button again to generate the log entries (you can do this without closing the FS or FSUIPC). Then close the sim and post your log and ini files.

John