The simFlight Network Forums

Compile package for .NET 5?

Hi Paul.

I'm using the current stable version of the Nuget package with a .NET 5 WinForms app (using TFM net5.0-windows, so it's Windows-only, of course). It works fine (so far) but I get constant warnings about the Nuget package being restored for .NET Framework 4.8 or lower.

Any possibility of getting a version compiled for netstandard2.1 or net5.0-windows? As people start to migrate it's becoming more painful being constrained to .NET Framework projects as .NET 5 has some significant improvements derived from the .NET Core side of the family.

Just thought I'd ask 🙂

Hi Neil,

It looks to be possible. I've got the DLL compiling here against net5.0-windows.

It does use some WinForms classes to make some of the helper objects (e.g. Airports) show up in the PropertyGrid properly, so I can't build it against the basic net5.0 without removing those features. (Same goes for Standard).

I think this is okay as FSUIPC only runs on Windows anyway, so there's no real point in forcing the DLL to be cross-platform.

I'll need to give it a good test and then sort out the NuGet package to include both the net40 and net5.0 versions.

If all goes well, I expect to release it by next weekend.

Paul

That was easier than I thought it would be.

Version 3.2.0 BETA is now on Nuget. (Tick the box for 'Include Prerelease' to see it.

The Nuget package now contains two version, one for .NET 5 (net50-windows) and one for .NET 4.0 Framework as normal. They are both compiled from the same source code, so they will be functionally identical.

The package manager in Visual Studio will install the correct version for your project.

I've given it a good test under .NET 5 with my Example Code Application and all seems well. 

Paul

6 hours ago, Paul Henty said:

That was easier than I thought it would be.

Version 3.2.0 BETA is now on Nuget. (Tick the box for 'Include Prerelease' to see it.

The Nuget package now contains two version, one for .NET 5 (net50-windows) and one for .NET 4.0 Framework as normal. They are both compiled from the same source code, so they will be functionally identical.

The package manager in Visual Studio will install the correct version for your project.

I've given it a good test under .NET 5 with my Example Code Application and all seems well. 

Paul

Great stuff, Paul, and thanks!