The simFlight Network Forums

Laggy Axis in Joystick Calibration & Sim

Travis1992

Hi, I have been having issues for a while where the axis processing with FSUIPC 7.0.10 is show lag and spikes both up and down to my current setting when I am adjusting the throttle in the joystick calibration tab. This also translates into the simulator. It does however go to the appropriate position when they are not moved. I don't think this is related specifically to 7.0.10, because it was happening before. When in the Axis assignments tab, the numbers change properly with my inputs. I verified there were no axis' set in the simulator.
I am also using the honeycomb bravo.
Thanks for the help in advanced.

FSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.JoyScan.csv FSUIPC7.ini

The lag may be due to the fact that you are assigning your throttle axis to send to the FS as a normal axis, and then calibrating in FSUIPC.
First, you can try removing the calibration for your throttle axis to see if that works. If not, and you need the calibration, try switching to 'Send direct to FSUIPC calibration' and then calibrate your throttle in FSUIPC.

We allow calibration of axis send to the FS, but these values then come back from the FS to be calibrated and then sent again. This results in two round trips from FSUIPC to the FS to set the axis value. This can also cause issues due to priority levels when using certain aircraft (usually complex add-ons), but also introduces an additional lag. This was not that noticeable in previous versions of FSUIPC when it was a dll embedded in the FS, but now that FSUIPC7 is an executable and runs in a separate process, there will be additional communication overhead that can cause issues.

9 hours ago, John Dowson said:

The lag may be due to the fact that you are assigning your throttle axis to send to the FS as a normal axis, and then calibrating in FSUIPC.
First, you can try removing the calibration for your throttle axis to see if that works. If not, and you need the calibration, try switching to 'Send direct to FSUIPC calibration' and then calibrate your throttle in FSUIPC.

We allow calibration of axis send to the FS, but these values then come back from the FS to be calibrated and then sent again. This results in two round trips from FSUIPC to the FS to set the axis value. This can also cause issues due to priority levels when using certain aircraft (usually complex add-ons), but also introduces an additional lag. This was not that noticeable in previous versions of FSUIPC when it was a dll embedded in the FS, but now that FSUIPC7 is an executable and runs in a separate process, there will be additional communication overhead that can cause issues.

Thank you John. Setting it to "Send direct to FSUIPC calibration" reduced the lag to very minimal amounts. It was a little buggy setting it up, requiring computer restarts due to FSUIPC losing ability to communicate with the sim, even after sim reboot. But I did get it up and working properly. With the Bravo throttles, you need to reverse the axis because the hardware is set up reversed for some reason by honeycomb, which requires me to use the calibration tab.

Also something else to add is that often when trying to set up controls and such, when I minimize the window for things such as axis, or selecting some specific options in there that may cause the window to minimize. It is no longer possible to open the window back up. This results in me either needing to re-run the executable to restart the program, or going into task manager and having to refocus on the window. I do window/task switch key(Native window feature) to switch to the program, and it doesn't. It is not on my task bar in either locations. It is a small but very annoying detail that I have come across over 20 times easily. Other than those things, everything is fantastic. Thank you!

10 hours ago, Travis1992 said:

It was a little buggy setting it up, requiring computer restarts due to FSUIPC losing ability to communicate with the sim, even after sim reboot

That certainly shouldn't happen and is the first time I have heard this...

10 hours ago, Travis1992 said:

Also something else to add is that often when trying to set up controls and such, when I minimize the window for things such as axis, or selecting some specific options in there that may cause the window to minimize. It is no longer possible to open the window back up. This results in me either needing to re-run the executable to restart the program, or going into task manager and having to refocus on the window. I do window/task switch key(Native window feature) to switch to the program, and it doesn't. It is not on my task bar in either locations. It is a small but very annoying detail that I have come across over 20 times easily. Other than those things, everything is fantastic.

You can only minimize the main FSUIPC window, and then it sits in the task bar like all other windows apps, until you open it. However, if you close the main window, FSUIPC7 will go to your system tray - did you look there? You can double click to open, or click/right-click for the context menu for direct access to some functions. You can also use Alt-F (default, can be changed) hot key to open/close FSUIPC7 to/from the system tray.

On 5/8/2021 at 3:22 AM, John Dowson said:

You can only minimize the main FSUIPC window, and then it sits in the task bar like all other windows apps, until you open it. However, if you close the main window, FSUIPC7 will go to your system tray - did you look there? You can double click to open, or click/right-click for the context menu for direct access to some functions. You can also use Alt-F (default, can be changed) hot key to open/close FSUIPC7 to/from the system tray.

I did look in the system tray. It was neither place. I constantly use it to initially open in the system tray and understand it shows up on task bar once the window is open, yes. It is in neither once it decides to go to the background(for any reason, me or the program tells it to) while the axis manager window is open. When the axis screen is told to go to the background or such, it all disappears and like previously stated, I have to go hunting in Task Manager or restart the program with the exe.

39 minutes ago, Travis1992 said:

I did look in the system tray. It was neither place. I constantly use it to initially open in the system tray and understand it shows up on task bar once the window is open, yes. It is in neither once it decides to go to the background(for any reason, me or the program tells it to) while the axis manager window is open. When the axis screen is told to go to the background or such, it all disappears and like previously stated, I have to go hunting in Task Manager or restart the program with the exe.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about. The axes assignment window, as all others, are model, and you shouldn't be able to minimise when open. You have to close it first (via Ok or Cancel). The  only window you can minimise is the main window.

Please explain your issue further so I can understand what you are talking about, or maybe provide a short video.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey John. So when you are open in the Axis window, it no longer shows on the system tray or the task bar if it is put in the background i.e. click on the simulator. In order to get it back, I need to either close it, or use task manager to bring the window to front as previously stated. Can you make the axis and button windows into a window that shows up on the task bar?

10 minutes ago, Travis1992 said:

So when you are open in the Axis window, it no longer shows on the system tray or the task bar if it is put in the background

That happens when you open the axes window directly from the system tray icon context menu. I'm not sure there is anything I can do - as its a modal sub-window of the main window, I certainly can't make it visible in the task bar as that is for main windows only.
What you can do in this situation is:
   - press ALT-F - this is the hot key that displays the FSUIPC main window
   - then click the FSUIPC7 task bar icon. This will then bring both the FSUIPC main window and the Axes window to the foreground.

John