The simFlight Network Forums

GPSout v2.52 w/FS2k4 - COM port settings (parity,dbits,sbits

I know from reading the other posts in this forum that this should work (I'm using GPSout v2.52 with FS2k4), and I know the settings are trivial (yes, the GPSout.ini file is pointing to the intended com port and the baud rate matches the baud rate which the "reader" is expecting), but when I run flight sim, I see no data coming from the designated com port.

Could it be mismatched values for other com port settings, such as parity (even), data bits (7), stop bits (1)? What values for these settings does GPSout use?

Thanks.

Could it be mismatched values for other com port settings, such as parity (even), data bits (7), stop bits (1)? What values for these settings does GPSout use?

Standard NMEA settings - 8-bit, no parity, 1 stop bit. (All speeds have only one stop bit in any case -- 2 were used for 110 baud, I think, and there's 1.5 for ancient teletype mode).

I don't know what you are using to check that there's no output, but if the program you are using isn't set up correctly it may not recognise the data. Otherwise the connecting cable isn't correct.

Regards,

Pete

I've verified that I'm using a null modem cable.

My GPSout.ini file specifies the following (the defaults):

[GPSout]

Sentences=RMC,GGA,GSA

Interval=1500

Port=COM2

Speed=4800

This machine has two serial ports. I just have the null modem cable going from the COM2 port to the COM1 port.

All I'm doing to see what comes from GPSout is using the "type" command in a command window (this is on win2k):

c:\> type com1:

With the same cable setup, if I send data to com2 using the "type" command ( as in c:\> type x.txt > com2:), then the data shows up at the com1 port (com settings for both ports set correctly).

Does GPSout set all the com port settings in the DCB (using SetCommState)?

Thanks.

All I'm doing to see what comes from GPSout is using the "type" command in a command window (this is on win2k):

Try using hyperterminal or some proper comms program then. It is absolutely certain that GPSout will be sending some data, whether is looks like stuff that the "type" command can accept is another thing.

Why not try the actual program you want to use?

There's a serial port monitor program at http://www.systeminternals.com, I think. If you seriously want to dig, use that. I don't really know what you are trying to accomplish.

Pete

Well, I'm actually writing the software that reads the NMEA sentences (it already reads the NMEA sentence stream from a number of GPS devices).

It just doesn't seem to be sending any data, by any number of measures. I'm assuming it's something in configuration. I know that GPSout.dll is at least running because it takes over the designated com port. The docs for FSUIPC.dll it seem to indicate that it might be needed for GPSout. Is there any such dependency?

I guess I just want to verify without a doubt that GPSout is producing the data, then I can work on getting it and processing it properly.

Thanks for your quick responses.

It just doesn't seem to be sending any data, by any number of measures.

Apart from "type", what other measures?

The docs for FSUIPC.dll it seem to indicate that it might be needed for GPSout. Is there any such dependency?

There was in FS2002, but you said you were using FS2004. It runs here without FSUIPC, but by all means install it as a test. Let me know.

I guess I just want to verify without a doubt that GPSout is producing the data

There's a serial port monitor, I'm sure, on http://www.systeminternals.com. Try that and let me know.

Regards,

Pete