The simFlight Network Forums

Opentrack freezing upon connecting Arduino via lua script

Hello everyone,

my simpit is finally coming together:

Im using opentrack together with a ps3 eye camera and that works fine - as long as it is left alone.

Besides that, I have a bunch of input hardware hooked up to an Arduino Mega, which is communicating with fsx:se via a FSUIPC lua script. That's working fine as well. (Exept some issues i still have to debug, but that's not the issue here.)

The moment i start the lua script, opentrack freezes - sort of. The program still responds to all inputs, but the camera view shown in the opentrack window freezes. (To be precise the camera view flickers - between the last two images received I guess)

The CL-Eye Test program, which comes with the PS3 Eye driver still shows the cameria itself working.

Any ideas on how to approach that problem are highly welcome. I am not sure on where to start debugging.

Many Thanks,

Frank

15 minutes ago, FrankP said:

The moment i start the lua script, opentrack freezes - sort of. The program still responds to all inputs, but the camera view shown in the opentrack window freezes. (To be precise the camera view flickers - between the last two images received I guess)

What is "opentrack"? Is there a support forum for it?

I assume your Lua script for Arduino is using the Lua Com library over a serial link. So the thing you would need to investigate is how the use of that serial port interacts with whatever method this "opentrack" program uses.

I would have thought opentrack support would be in a better position to advise you on that.

Pete

Hello Pete,
thanks for your quick reply! Opentrack basically is an open source alternative to TrackIR. 

Correct, I use the Lua Com library over a serial link. I just hooked up an Arduino which only counts up over a serial connection and there was no impact on the head tracking. The moment I started the Lua script, the head tracking froze again. Is there any theory on why the serial connections behave that differently?

Many thanks,

Frank

5 hours ago, FrankP said:

Correct, I use the Lua Com library over a serial link. I just hooked up an Arduino which only counts up over a serial connection and there was no impact on the head tracking. The moment I started the Lua script, the head tracking froze again. Is there any theory on why the serial connections behave that differently?

Sorry, I really have no idea. The COM library just uses standard Windows API functions, and only handles the defined serial port. Can you get any help form OpenTrack? after all it is their software which is freezing.

Pete

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, FrankP said:

Could it be that the Arduino and the USB Webcam try to communicate on the same port?

Very unlikely.  I don't think any USB webcam operates as a serial device needing a COM port allocation.

Didn't you ask OpenTrack. It seems really something they need to deal with.

Pete