The simFlight Network Forums

MSFS Shortcut No Longer Starts FSUIPC

NomadRider

After installing the most recent versions of FSUIPC I noticed that FSUIPC wasn't running when MSFS2020 started.  I noticed the following in the .bat file.

:: start FSUIPC7
:: start "" "H:\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.exe"

This isn't correct I don't think.  I want to have the second line:  start "" "H:\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.exe" without the ::

John

9 hours ago, NomadRider said:

After installing the most recent versions of FSUIPC I noticed that FSUIPC wasn't running when MSFS2020 started.  I noticed the following in the .bat file.

:: start FSUIPC7
:: start "" "H:\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.exe"

This isn't correct I don't think.  I want to have the second line:  start "" "H:\FSUIPC7\FSUIPC7.exe" without the ::

That is the old method of starting FSUIPC7 with MSFS. This was replaced (around a year ago) with the prescribed method of using the EXE.xml file.
A few other add-ons are known to corrupt this file, and if the file is corrupted then the FSUIPC installer cannot update this file.
Check your InstallFSUIPC7.logg file - you should see errors about the EXE.xml file there if this is the case. This issue is covered in the provided README.txt file (as well as in many other support requests!) under Problems running FSUIPC7:

3. FSUIPC7 does not auto-start with MSFS, even though this option was selected during installation.
   If you find that FSUIPC7 doens't start with MSFS, this is usually due to a problem with your EXE.xml file. Please check your InstallFSUIPC7.log file.
   This is usually due to another add-on corrupting the EXE.xml file. To resolve, you can delete/rename your current EXE.xml file (whose location can be
   determined from your InstallFSUIPC7.log file) and re-install FSUIPC7. However, the add-on that corrupted the EXE.xml may not be started automatically.
   You will need to manually add this back if you want this app to also auto-start. Details on how to do this can be found in various FSUIPC7 support threads.

If FSUIPC7 doesn't auto-start with MSFS, you should also try to manually start FSUIPC7 to at least verify that it is working before you correct the auto-start process.

John

4 hours ago, John Dowson said:

That is the old method of starting FSUIPC7 with MSFS. This was replaced (around a year ago) with the prescribed method of using the EXE.xml file.
A few other add-ons are known to corrupt this file, and if the file is corrupted then the FSUIPC installer cannot update this file.
Check your InstallFSUIPC7.logg file - you should see errors about the EXE.xml file there if this is the case. This issue is covered in the provided README.txt file (as well as in many other support requests!) under Problems running FSUIPC7:

John

Thanks for the info

If the desktop shortcut isn't supposed to be used in starting MSFS2020 and FSUIPC, maybe you should refrain from asking if you want to add the shortcut to the desktop when installing the program.

John

3 minutes ago, NomadRider said:

maybe you should refrain from asking if you want to add the shortcut to the desktop when installing the program.

Why?
The shortcut is used to display the splash screen while MSFS is starting.
If you don't want that, don't use it

However, I have left the start lines in, un-commented, as some people prefer that method of starting FSUIPC7, as it gives them the ability to start MSFS without FSUIPC7 (using the MSFS icon), or to start with FSUIPC7 using the desktop shortcut (with those start lines uncommented).

Note also, the auto-start is a component that you select (or not) during installation. The shortcut is created after the components have been installed, at the end of the installation process, if selected.

I could probably improve the documentation on the purpose of the shortcut though...

John

31 minutes ago, NomadRider said:

So once the EXE.xml file is fixed I can use the shortcut?

You can use the shortcut anyway/ Once the EXE.xml file is fixed, FSUIPC7 will auto-start with MSFS regardless of how you start it.

32 minutes ago, NomadRider said:

And will the AFC_bridge work now or maybe that’s something you don’t know.

That will also get auto-started if you add back in the auto-start element for that in your EXE.xml. See this post:

John