The simFlight Network Forums

Pan reset not working?

Luis Hernández

Good morning everyone. I've just purchased FSUIPC7 a week ago. I set up my controls, trying to keep the same settings I'm familar with in FS9, FSX and P3D4. However, I find that Pan_reset is not working in MSFS. This command is so useful, because it only resets sight direction but not position.

This is how the assignment appears in FSUIPC7.ini:

[JoyNames]
0= VKBSim NXT THQ
0.GUID={0D5BE840-496E-11EC-8001-444553540000}
1= VKB-Sim Gladiator NXT L
1.GUID={14F9D130-FAD0-11EB-8001-444553540000}
A= VKBSim NXT THQ
A.GUID={0D5BE840-496E-11EC-8001-444553540000}
B= VKB-Sim Gladiator NXT L
B.GUID={14F9D130-FAD0-11EB-8001-444553540000}

[Buttons]
PollInterval=25
ButtonRepeat=20,10
1=PB,3,C65875,0 	-{PAN_RESET}-

For reference, this is what I got in FSUIPC6.ini:

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
1= VKB-Sim Gladiator NXT L
1.GUID={14F9D130-FAD0-11EB-8001-444553540000}
0= VKBSim NXT THQ
0.GUID={0D5BE840-496E-11EC-8001-444553540000}

[Buttons]
PollInterval=25
ButtonRepeat=20,10
0=P1,3,C65875,0 	-{PAN_RESET}-

It should yield the same result.  Am I doing something wrong?

1 hour ago, Luis Hernández said:

Am I doing something wrong?

No. Its just that the Pan controls are not working correctly in MSFS via SimConnect.
For view controls, best to assign your buttons/switches to the default MSFS key bindings for such controls.
If there is no binding for that in MSFS, you can assign a key binding to the control in MSFS, and then assign your button to that key binding in FSUIPC.

Try that and let me know if thats ok, or I can look into this further for you but will take me a couple of days to get around to this (working through the support backlog!).

Cheers,

John

I've never seen that option in the menus, at least not since FS9. I checked again in P3D v4.5, and effectively, there's no such control in the list of assignments. Neither in MSFS. However, in P3D works but not MSFS.

3 hours ago, John Dowson said:

I can look into this further for you but will take me a couple of days to get around to this (working through the support backlog!).

Thanks, please let us know.

On 12/4/2021 at 6:53 PM, Luis Hernández said:

I checked again in P3D v4.5, and effectively, there's no such control in the list of assignments.

These are SimConnect controls, and can be seen in the exported controls list document, in your FSUIPC document folders.

On 12/4/2021 at 6:53 PM, Luis Hernández said:

However, in P3D works but not MSFS.

No, they won't - the camera system is very different in MSFS.

To implement a 'pan reset' function, you can do the following:
  - first, create a 'custom camera' for your view. You can do this by hitting Ctrl + Alt + a numpad key (0-9). The number will be the number of the view.
    You can then switch to this view using Alt + the assigned numpad key you selected
  - assign your button to the Alt + numpad key in FSUIPC, using the left-hand side of button assignments dialog

I recently provided a lua script to cycle between views for another user - see the following if interested:

John

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

assign your button to the Alt + numpad key in FSUIPC, using the left-hand side of button assignments dialog

Thanks, John. I've been applying your workaround already. I don't know if there's something wrong with MSFS or it's just me, but sometimes I need to double press the button I set: first press takes me to wherever I was looking at, and the second one takes me to where I want.

I'll take a look to the thread you mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Luis Hernández said:

but sometimes I need to double press the button I set: first press takes me to wherever I was looking at, and the second one takes me to where I want.

Hmm, sounds strange - especially as you say only sometimes.... You could try logging (Buttons + Switches and keypresses) to see if the log reveals anything when you need to press twice. And what do you mean by 'first press takes me to wherever I was looking at'? If you are already 'looking at that', then do you mean there is no change in the view on the first press?

3 minutes ago, Luis Hernández said:

I'll take a look to the thread you mentioned.

Ok, but probably not of much interest. Its just a lua script that cycles between camera views.

John

9 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Hmm, sounds strange - especially as you say only sometimes.... You could try logging (Buttons + Switches and keypresses) to see if the log reveals anything when you need to press twice. And what do you mean by 'first press takes me to wherever I was looking at'?

When setting the views, I need to pan and move my eyepoint at the default VC view. After this, if I switch to another view, all is OK. But I switch again, it will move me first to wherever I was looking in the default VC view. It's hard to explain.

Anyway, I'm sure FSUIPC has nothing to do there: this also happened when using directly the key assignments, back when I didn't have FSUIPC7.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:04 AM, John Dowson said:

If you are already 'looking at that', then do you mean there is no change in the view on the first press?

John, this post from the FSL forums may explain my issue better:

https://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/30340-did-fslabs-miss-the-msfs-train-with-the-upcoming-fenix-a320/&do=findComment&comment=243570

So if I map my custom "Main View" to a key, it will always switch back to default view when I hit that key again. That for me is super annoying. 

As I said before, it's not an FSUIPC7 issue but a MSFS one.