The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC control assignment screen Black in Prepar3D v5.3

As of last week (Jan 20th 2022) we upgraded to Prepar3D v5.3 and then installed the latest FSUIPC (registered) v6.1.7 for assigning and calibrating our control devices.  Whenever FSUIPC is selected from the Add-Ons menu in P3D the utility box appears but is completely blacked out (save for the windows grey band at the top which lets you X out of it).  If you let it sit there for ~30 seconds sometimes the utility will appear and can be used and sometimes not (or I just haven't waited long enough after a few minutes or so to let it appear).  I did try reinstalling FSUIPC again but the same exact thing is happening.  I'm at a loss for what to do now.  Please help! 

Edited by TheGreyGoose

This sounds very strange... I have no idea what could cause such behavior.
Did you update all threeP3D  components, Client, Content and Scenery?
Not sure what to suggest, except maybe to try re-installing the P3D client.
Also, check your FSUIPC6 installation folder - make sure that it is not installed under a windows protected folder, such as Documents or Program Files. If it is, try installing in a different location. To do this, just re-run the installer and select a different installation folder - you can skip registration. After re-installation, uou can copy your existing files (FSUIPC6.ini, FSUIPC6.key, *.lua, *.mcro, *.dll) to the new installation folder.

John

Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, you should try updating your VC++ redistributables, as these are known to cause many strange issues. Install the latest combined redistributable package from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist (both x84 and x86 versions are recommended). This will install the redistributables for 2015, 2017, 2019 & 2022. If you have any of these installed individual, uninstall first before installing the combined package.

John

John, I'm going to take another look at it tomorrow.  I'm going to first update P3D 5.3 to the new Hotfix 2 which does require a new Client install anyway so we'll do that first and see how it works out.  And then if the Client Hotfix has no effect we will look at that latest Windows redistributable x64/x86 package you linked and check if the Windows Documents folder is protected.  However, isn't Documents/Prepar3D Add-ons where it is supposed to be installed?  That's where it defaults to normally.  And it actually works if dragged over to another display, it's just not showing in the primary.

To be more specific this is in a large multi-monitor / multi-PC simulator.  We're running several touchscreens on a Host PC for instruments and 2 networked PC Clients for visuals.  Again, all instruments are on the Host PC only though and FSUIPC is only installed on the Host (this is via P3D ProPlus Multi-Channel, not WideView).   I saw in some other thread where someone else was having this same or very similar issue and it came down to adjusting something in a config file to tell FSUIPC where to show up.  Does that ring a bell?  Maybe that could be the issue?

2 hours ago, TheGreyGoose said:

I saw in some other thread where someone else was having this same or very similar issue and it came down to adjusting something in a config file to tell FSUIPC where to show up.  Does that ring a bell?  Maybe that could be the issue?

But I thought the FSUIPC main window was being displayed but it was blacked-out? If the FSUIPC window isn't being displayed (and just the P3D window is blacked-out), then it could be being displayed off-screen. To correct this, remove the following line from your FSUIPC6.ini file (in the [General] section): OptionsDialogOffset
It is this parameter that controls the positioning of the FSUIPC main window. Removing that and it should default to displaying in the centre of the P3D main window.

2 hours ago, TheGreyGoose said:

However, isn't Documents/Prepar3D Add-ons where it is supposed to be installed?

No. That is where the add-on.xml file is created to auto-start FSUIPC with P3D. It is better to have your FSUIPC installation in a separate folder. That did used to be the default installation folder as well, but this has now changed to C:\FSUIPC7, but if you are re-installing it will always provide the default location as your previous installation folder. Best to change this to a non-windows protected folder. Don't forget to move your files (FSUIPC6.ini, FSUIPC6.key, *.lua, *.mctp, *.dll) across to the new installation folder if you change your installation location.

John

Ok, I think we may both be getting a little confused. Or at least I am lol.  So let me clarify everything a final time just to be sure.

1 - The issue we're having is when opening FSUIPC from the P3D v5.3 Add-Ons menu. It appears black, meaning only the actual ~10cm x 20cm box or window of the FSUIPC control assignment interface but it's all blacked out. (and the background behind it is too, but that's normal if I remember correctly.)  If we grab it (the box only) and move it to another monitor, it then appears.

2 - When installing FSUIPC, and also summarily re-installing it, it appears that it is indeed installing to C / documents / Prepar3D v5 Add-ons as that is apparently where FSUIPC wants to install by default. (and you said it would do so by default due to any older installs so that makes sense if so). 

Regardless, I didn't see any information during install (i.e.; in the installer itself that it should be located anywhere else but it sounds like, yes, you are telling me to just make sure it installs to C:FSUIPC instead. (and I assume you mean a folder of FSUIPC6 not 7 as 7 is for MSFS2020, no?)

And if I may, ...my main tip here would be that you guys might want to add a note/words of install location to the installer itself as I assume most people re-run the installer over a previous one as that has always been the normal operation for FSUIPC.. as it uninstalls the old one itself for you and re-installs the new.  And therefore why would anyone think there's a need to install it anywhere other than where it defaults to.  I hope you see the point here.

3 - Lastly, also in C / Documents is an FSUIPC6 folder but it appears to only contain ~15 PDFs for the User Manual, History, Lua stuff, Offset Mapping, etc.  I assume it will maybe reinstall that data there again even if I point the new main install to just C /FSUIPC6  correct?

4 - My last question is with the .INI and backing it up to save control assignments.  Can I copy/paste the entire old file to fully overwrite the new one or do I need to carefully cut and splice in only the old control assignment data I wish to keep into the new .INI ?

Thank you for all your help and prompt attention this week.  It's been very helpful.

On 2/5/2022 at 5:28 AM, TheGreyGoose said:

1 - The issue we're having is when opening FSUIPC from the P3D v5.3 Add-Ons menu. It appears black, meaning only the actual ~10cm x 20cm box or window of the FSUIPC control assignment interface but it's all blacked out. (and the background behind it is too, but that's normal if I remember correctly.)  If we grab it (the box only) and move it to another monitor, it then appears.

This is what I thought your issue was. I can't see how this can be anything to do with FSUIPC. It maybe related to your graphics drivers - have you tried updating these?

2 - When installing FSUIPC, and also summarily re-installing it, it appears that it is indeed installing to C / documents / Prepar3D v5 Add-ons as that is apparently where FSUIPC wants to install by default. (and you said it would do so by default due to any older installs so that makes sense if so). 

Yes, but you can select the installation folder during installation. Re-run the installer and change the installation location, and then copy across your remaining files (.ini, .key, .lua, .mcro, .dll, etc) to the new installation folder.

Regardless, I didn't see any information during install (i.e.; in the installer itself that it should be located anywhere else but it sounds like, yes, you are telling me to just make sure it installs to C:FSUIPC instead. (and I assume you mean a folder of FSUIPC6 not 7 as 7 is for MSFS2020, no?)

Yes, sorry - forgot you were using FSUIPC6 and not FSUIPC7, but the installation is the same. Please see the Installing and Registering FSUIPC document.

And if I may, ...my main tip here would be that you guys might want to add a note/words of install location to the installer itself as I assume most people re-run the installer over a previous one as that has always been the normal operation for FSUIPC.. as it uninstalls the old one itself for you and re-installs the new.  And therefore why would anyone think there's a need to install it anywhere other than where it defaults to.  I hope you see the point here.

I provide the Above mentioned manual.. You should read that before installing. Nobody seems to read the documentation...

3 - Lastly, also in C / Documents is an FSUIPC6 folder but it appears to only contain ~15 PDFs for the User Manual, History, Lua stuff, Offset Mapping, etc.  I assume it will maybe reinstall that data there again even if I point the new main install to just C /FSUIPC6  correct?

Yes, the documents are always installed in an FSUIPC6 sub-folder of your Documents folder - you cannot change this.

John