The simFlight Network Forums

Button assignments have no effect

Detlef_747

Hi there,

it is quite a long time for me since I was here. I had changed from P3D to X-Plane and have now installed MSFS 2020. I am in the process of getting my registered FSUIPC7 working. 

My problem is, when I assign buttons (Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick) using FSUIPC I do not see any reaction in the sim. I tried changing views but also flaps up/down. In MSFS I have created an empty profile named ...FSUIPC. 

It must be something simple, that I do wrong. Maybe you can help me with this. (.ini and .log files attached)

Thank you

Detlef

FSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.1.log FSUIPC7.ini

First, can you please not start a new log file when providing logs for support - it is easier to see what is happening in just one log file, you can always zip it if its too big to attach.

Your settings for the view controls don't work as these controls are not working in MSFS. From the README.txt file (included in the FSUIPC zip file you downloaded):

Limitations
===========
Currently no documentation on what key events/controls from the SimConnect API are actually working.
Many do not currently work. These include:
   - events for view control
   - events for slew control
   - events for weather

For view and slew control, you can assign in MSFS or assign in FSUIPC7 but to the default key assignments
used for view/slew control in MSFS.

I'm not sure why the flaps controls aren't working as I would expect them to work in the Asobo Baron G58. Could it be that these are working but the inc/dec values are too small to notice? Try changing the flaps assignments and set 'Control to repeat while held' and see if that gives any movement. Otherwise, use the standard method to work out what controls are needed - activate logging for Events, move the flaps in the UI and see what events are logged in the FSUIPC7.log file (you can do this with the console window open using Log -> Open Console). Then try assigning to those. I can look into this later if you still have issues with this - let me know.

Also be aware that many MSFS aircraft do not use standard controls and you have to use a combination of lvars/ hvars events and calculator code for many assignments. FSUIPC7 also now includes access to the MobiFlight presets which you can also assign to - see the MobiFlight HubHop resource (https://hubhop.mobiflight.com/) which has a good search interface for finding presets for many aircraft, both Asobo and add-ons.

John

7 hours ago, Detlef_747 said:

but also flaps up/down

I just tried this in the G58 and assigning to Flaps Up/Down is working as expected here, so I'm not sure why that isn't working for you. Are they working from the UI? Your log shows these controls being sent/received ok, so it is strange that those aren't having any affect in the aircraft...

John,

first of all. Thank you for the fast support!

Yes, next time I will send just one log file. I was just experimenting with the button assignments for flaps. I used the console as you suggested. What I see is, that when using the flight sim user interface directly and when using the buttons programmed per FSUIPC the console shows the same, so everything should be OK. Only, it is not. The G58 is only reacting when using the UI of the FSIM.

Thanks

Detlef

John,

first of all. Thank you for the fast support!

Yes, next time I will send just one log file. I was just experimenting with the button assignments for flaps. I used the console as you suggested. What I see is, that when using the flight sim user interface directly and when using the buttons programmed per FSUIPC the console shows the same, so everything should be OK. Only, it is not. The G58 is only reacting when using the UI of the FSIM.

Thanks

Detlef

John,

I am totally unfamilar until now with MSFS2020. I just noticed: if I use the FSIM user interface, I hear a click when putting the flaps out a notch, and a delayed second click without me touching the control button again. Looking at the instrument in the cockpit I just saw that the flap lever goes back to the middle position (APH) with the delayed click. I I try to program the buttons via FSUIPC the lever tries to move but instantly moves back into the middle position resulting in no flap movement.

So maybe another kind of control is sent within the UI for the flap lever movement.

Detlef

17 hours ago, Detlef_747 said:

if I use the FSIM user interface, I hear a click when putting the flaps out a notch, and a delayed second click without me touching the control button again. Looking at the instrument in the cockpit I just saw that the flap lever goes back to the middle position (APH) with the delayed click. I I try to program the buttons via FSUIPC the lever tries to move but instantly moves back into the middle position resulting in no flap movement.

This sounds strange to me. The flaps in the G58 have three positions: Down (DN light lit, lever down), APH (APH light lit, lever in central position) and up (no lights lit, lever in up position). Moving the lever in the UI will result in the 'IN TRANSIT' light to be lit while the flaps move, then goes off when in position. The flaps lever shouldn't move again from the position you set.

If you assign to Flaps Up / Flaps Down, you can only switch between the UP and Down positions, and cannot set to APH. If you assign to Flaps Inc and Flaps Dec, you can move through all 3 positions, as in the UI.

17 hours ago, Detlef_747 said:

So maybe another kind of control is sent within the UI for the flap lever movement.

I don't think so as it seems to be working fine here. However, no controls are logged by FSUIPC when you move the lever in the UI, so internally it does look like its using something else, but this shouldn't matter as the external/SimConnect controls are working as expected as far as I can tell.. Check that you don't have assignments to flaps in MSFS - if assigning your controllers/devices in FSUIPC, best to start with an empty profile for that device in MSFS.

John

Hi again John,

thanks for your continued support. I seem to have some other basic problems now with FS2020. In the FS UI, if I try to assign a function to a joystick button I get: "you are trying to assign an action to a device that is not selected".  I need to solve that one before looking deeper into my original topic here.

Detlef

14 hours ago, Detlef_747 said:

In the FS UI, if I try to assign a function to a joystick button I get: "you are trying to assign an action to a device that is not selected".  I need to solve that one before looking deeper into my original topic here.

As the message says, you need to select the correct device before toy assign to that device - your devices are shown above the assignments with the current profile the device is using. If assigning in FSUIPC, you should start/create a new empty profile for that device.

But this is not the place for MSFS support really. You should familiarise yourself with MSFS before configuring FSUIPC.

John

1 hour ago, John Dowson said:

As the message says, you need to select the correct device before toy assign to that device - your devices are shown above the assignments with the current profile the device is using. If assigning in FSUIPC, you should start/create a new empty profile for that device.

But this is not the place for MSFS support really. You should familiarise yourself with MSFS before configuring FSUIPC.

Hi John,

thank you again. I was aware of the above. I have it sorted out now. Basically my issues had two reasons,

(1) I have a ten EUR or so mini wireless keyboard and touchpad connected via USB that I use sometimes during flying when my normal keyboard is stored away (I have self built switches and dials and so on).   As soon as I removed that wireless keyboard I could assign buttons in the MS UI as intended. That error "you are trying to assign an action to a device that is not selected" also came from that. The UI saw a different USB device than the one I HAD selected.

(2) flaps setting went back automatically to 10 degrees because some assistance function was active. I set everything to "hard" now and both, UI and FSUIPC assignment, do work now.

So all my fault...

Detlef