The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC for PMDG 737 NGX

Hi

We are a group of students from the Avionics&Simulation Lab of ETSIAE (UPM, Spain) and we are trying to run the PMDG B737 NGX for FSX. 

To connect our hardware with the FlightSim we downloaded the FSUIPC demo. We can run the Generic B737 (the free plane of FSX) and connect it with FSUIPC and we can read and write the offsets.

The problem is with the PMDG B737 NGX, because the Offset List we have is Read Only. We can read the Offsets and they are showed through the Hardware, but we can not control the FlightSim with the Hardware. Our doubt is if it is necessary to buy the complete version of FSUIPC to be able to write Offsets or if it is another way to activate the Write Mode. 

Any information you give us about it will be very useful and will help us to continue our project, because we are stuck at this point.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, AvionicaySimulacion said:

The problem is with the PMDG B737 NGX, because the Offset List we have is Read Only. We can read the Offsets and they are showed through the Hardware, but we can not control the FlightSim with the Hardware. Our doubt is if it is necessary to buy the complete version of FSUIPC to be able to write Offsets or if it is another way to activate the Write Mode. 

All PMDG specific offsets are read-only. To control PMDG aircraft, you need to use the PMDG custom controls. You can use these in the free version by using the general control offset at 0x3110. See the following first part of the following topic on how to control PMDG aircraft using the custom controls - the latter part of the topic describes how to assign the controls to buttons/switches/keys, but you can also write the control number to offset 0x3110: 

John

Just now, AvionicaySimulacion said:

Does it work in the same way showed in the Post you told me?

The post I referenced just shows you how to calculate the control number and parameter to use the custom controls for PMDG aircraft. Once you have determine what control and parameter to use, you can either assign this to the button switch (FSUIPC registered only) or write this to offset 0x3110. 

FSUIPC only recognises HID joystick type devices for direct assignment, but other non-joystick type devices can be used via lua. Both of these facilities are for the registered version only. I cannot advise if FSUIPC would recognise your hardware.

Many users/home cockpit builders use MobiFlight in conjunction with FSUIPC (unregistered) to control via FSUIPC offsets, so you could possibly look into that.

John

17 hours ago, John Dowson said:

but other non-joystick type devices can be used via lua.

We have a doubt with this, the manufacturer provides a SIOC based in pascal with the hardware, does pascal replace lua or we need to use lua in order to program a non-joystick device? 

In case pascal replaces lua, do we still need to use the registered version?

We are looking forward to using Mobiflight with the rest of the parts, but what we have now uses SimIO boards not compatible with Mobiflight.

27 minutes ago, AvionicaySimulacion said:

We have a doubt with this, the manufacturer provides a SIOC based in pascal with the hardware, does pascal replace lua or we need to use lua in order to program a non-joystick device? 

If the manufacturer provides a SIOC, then this is what you be using. However, I cannot help you with this - you need support from the manufacturer.

29 minutes ago, AvionicaySimulacion said:

In case pascal replaces lua, do we still need to use the registered version?

The pascal SIOC does not replace lua. You probably don't need a registered version of FSUIPC if using the SIOC, but the SIOC documentation should tell you if you need FSUIPC, and if that needs to be registered or not - I really can't advise. This old post is from a user also using FSUIPC with hispapanels and a PMDG aircraft - reading this it looks like they were using a registered version for assignments: 

I can provide you with a time-limited trial license for FSUIPC4 if you would like to try the registered facilities.

47 minutes ago, AvionicaySimulacion said:

We are looking forward to using Mobiflight with the rest of the parts, but what we have now uses SimIO boards not compatible with Mobiflight.

Ok. But there are also cards for using MobiFlight with Hispapanels - see https://hispapanels.com/tienda/en/105-mobiflight

John

50 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

The pascal SIOC does not replace lua

What we thought is that SIOC SC-Pascal (Pascal) works like LINDA (Lua). Is it wrong?

52 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

I can provide you with a time-limited trial license for FSUIPC4 if you would like to try the registered facilities.

That will be very useful for us, because we are not sure about buying it until we find out it is the solution. 

Thank you.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:56 PM, AvionicaySimulacion said:

What we thought is that SIOC SC-Pascal (Pascal) works like LINDA (Lua). Is it wrong?

Yes (it is a wrong assumption)... I don't know what your SIOC SC-Pascal software does, but I presume its more like a driver and  is specific to your hardware device. LINDA is an interface built on top of lua to make lua assignments easier (well, that is an over-simplification - see the LINDA documentation and web-forums for better description). I presume you will need the SIOC software even if you decide to use LINDA, but I don't really know - these are questions for your hardware provider/manufacturer. I can't really help you with hardware I don't have and know nothing about.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:56 PM, AvionicaySimulacion said:

That will be very useful for us, because we are not sure about buying it until we find out it is the solution. 

Ok. I will post one here for you to try later today...

John

Yes we have just installed the key and now we are trying it. Effectively, we can program HID joystick type devices for direct assignment but FSUIPC doesn't recognise our cockpit, so we can't assign any button, switch or axis.

Is there a way to be able to recognise and assign the buttons, switches and axis of our hardware with Lua? 

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, AvionicaySimulacion said:

Is there a way to be able to recognise and assign the buttons, switches and axis of our hardware with Lua? 

Maybe, if it is a HID type device. You can try the included HidDemo.lua to see if the device is recognised, or try the HidScanner program first to see if that recognises the device and the button/switch changes (available from 

)

John

Hi,

sorry about writing in the other post. I'll answer you here. 

First of all, our hardware is recognised. I checked it with the app HIDScanner. In fact, we have programmed and flight with the generic b737 from FSX, using SC-Pascal and FSUIPC. The problem is with PMDG. 

Last week we tried to set some controls manually for PMDG with the FSUIPC window. We could program a joystick but FSUIPC didn't recognised our cockpit. If I press a button of the cockpit, the FSUIPC windows do not detect it. That's why I wrote in the other post. With the SDK file following those steps, can I assign a button (for example) manually? 

3 hours ago, AvionicaySimulacion said:

sorry about writing in the other post.

Then why have you again posted in that post, after you posted here? I am sorry but you are beginning to irritate me by continually cross-posting in other topics for the same issue. I am going to delete all your posts (and responses) in the FAQ post.

First of all, our hardware is recognised. I checked it with the app HIDScanner. In fact, we have programmed and flight with the generic b737 from FSX, using SC-Pascal and FSUIPC. The problem is with PMDG. 

Are you saying that your hardware is recognised when you have the B737 loaded, but not when the PMDG is loaded?

If I press a button of the cockpit, the FSUIPC windows do not detect it.

And this only occurs with the PMDG aircraft? If you load any other aircraft, FSUIPC can detect your hardware button press?

That's why I wrote in the other post. With the SDK file following those steps, can I assign a button (for example) manually? 

The other post is in the FAQ section, and should NOT be used for support requests, except unless specifically related to the subject of the FAQ. Again, your issue is with hardware button detection, possibly only related to the use of PMDG, but certainly not related to PMDG control/assignments, which is the topic/purpose of the FAQ entry.
I like to keep FAQ entries short and too the point, not full of useless comments related to other issues. Please stop cross-posting and use this topic only for your problem.

John