The simFlight Network Forums

Traffic Look Questions

Morning Pete-

A couple of questions please. I'm currently using a registered copy of FSUIPC version 3.08 with Traffic Look version 1.4.1

1) I read the readme file where you discuss changing the FSUIPC.INI setting for TCAsid= between "Flight" and "Tail", etc. to see different info in the Traffic Look report. My problem is that I can't seem to get a display of the Airline + tail number. I am able to get only the tail number for all flights (ground and airborne) with the "Tail" setting, but the "Flight" setting only shows the Airline for the majority of ground aircraft (flight # seems to appear only after they have filed their flightplan). What I really want is the capability to see is the Airline + tail number for ALL aircraft at All times... The purpose of this is so I can easily sort the report by airline and research against flightplans. Can this option be achieved?

2) I'm curious as to what the column "Ref" indicates?

3) I would like to be able to "cut and paste" from the Traffic Look report. This would allow me to put the info into Excel, etc. for further analysis and printing of a "custom" report with just selected columns.

4) I occasionally see some "strange" characters at the end of the Airline name, but I noticed your posting that version 3.11 of FSUIPC fixes what I think is causing this problem. (When will 3.11 version be available for download?)

Thanks for your great product and consideration of my questions/requests

Regards,

Phil

A couple of questions please. I'm currently using a registered copy of FSUIPC version 3.08 with Traffic Look version 1.4.1

Version 3.08 is way out of date now. I would be advising you to update FSUIPC to 3.11, but now you might as well wait a few days for 3.12 (and a new TrafficLook) which I hope to release over the weekend.

I read the readme file where you discuss changing the FSUIPC.INI setting for TCAsid= between "Flight" and "Tail", etc. to see different info in the Traffic Look report. My problem is that I can't seem to get a display of the Airline + tail number.

Why are you editing the INI file? You have a registered copy of FSUIPC. Just go to the Technical page in the FSUIPC Options (ALT M F) and make your selection there.

However, Airline + Tail number is not an option I provide. the Airline name goes with the Flight number -- that's how they are referred to by ATC. Only the GA aircraft will have the tail number in that mode.

flight # seems to appear only after they have filed their flightplan.

That's correct.

The purpose of this is so I can easily sort the report by airline and research against flightplans. Can this option be achieved?

If you are using FS2004, wait for FSUIPC 3.12 and the updated TrafficLook. This provides departure and arrival airports (ICAO ids) for all aircraft, both airborne and ground.

You would also find TrafficBoard very useful. The version for FS2002 was really good, and the one for FS2004 is being prepared now, I understand.

I'm curious as to what the column "Ref" indicates?

It's derived from the FS reference number for that aircraft, and is unique. It is actually the negative of the ID in the FSUIPC slot, which is used by TCAS programs, TrafficBoard and Radar Contact, amongst others, to keep track of things.

I would like to be able to "cut and paste" from the Traffic Look report. This would allow me to put the info into Excel, etc. for further analysis and printing of a "custom" report with just selected columns.

I've not really got much time to spend on applications -- TrafficLook and WeatherSet were really just written to test FSUIPC's data, and as an example of what can be done. However, in the new version of TrafficLook you can move the columns around and re-size them, and all that is remembered. The printout is in the same order, terminating according to page width (landscape) -- so you could do what you want to that way. Alternatively you could "print to file" and get a text representation.

Anyway, have a play with it when it is released (with FSUIPC 3.12) and if you still want a "copy to clipboard" facility let me know and I'll put it on the list. It'll only get done when I'm held up on one of the many other things I have to do, though!

I occasionally see some "strange" characters at the end of the Airline name, but I noticed your posting that version 3.11 of FSUIPC fixes what I think is causing this problem. (When will 3.11 version be available for download?)

Oh dear. Please check the Announcements at the top of the forum now and then. FSUIPC 3.11 was released on the 10th October, over a month ago now!

Regards,

Pete

Pete-

Thanks for the quick reply. I found the latest version of FSUIPC right after I sent my original note (wouldn't you know). I had been looking on the AVSIM file library and they only had a previous version. Anyway, as you had stated, it fixed my "funny character" problem.

Also, I hadn't thought about using a "print to file" approach. After reading your reply I did a little research, set up a print to file for WindowsXP and "BINGO", I can send the results to a .txt file and then bring them into Excel, Access, etc.....

So, my "problems"/requests have been solved. Thanks again.

Regards,

Phil