The simFlight Network Forums

Msfs nose wheel steering/tiller issue

NAX

Hi all

All software updated. Assigning tiller and setting it up in fsuipc does not give me functioning tiller ingame. For rudder and yoke axis is ok for all planes when assigned only in fsuipc. 
tiller, or nose wheel steering, only work when assigning in ingame settings. Two problem follows after doing this as my rudder are home built and axis not perfectly set around value 0. 
Problem 1 is that rudder hang in more or less full right rudder whenever using rudder after using tiller. Kicking the rudder once more set it zero again if tiller is also 0.
problem 2 is that when i taxi and using tiller (keeping my foot away from rudder) i have to keep moving the axis, jiggering the tiller, to keep it from just sink back to 0. 
It seems that fsuipc dont write to the correct value in the sim? If i coul keep it only assigned in fsuipc like rudder and yoke, that would be the best for me. 
hope i described the problem understandable

• NAX changed the title to Msfs nose wheel steering/tiller issue

Have to correct myself. 
Basically nose wheel steering in the new 737 pmdg does not react to tiller axis assigned and calibrated in fsuipc. 
after deleting axis assigned as tiller in fsuipc and then asigning it in msfs, it works. 

Don't know if this helps you but here is my experience so far:

With the PMDG 737, in the FMS>PMDG>Simulation you can select the Nosewheel steering to be controlled by Rudder only OR Prop1 axis and Rudder.
With this 2nd option, you assign your tiller axis to the prop1 axis and this only controls the tiller (as in the RL aircraft).
Unfortunately when you assign this through FSUIPC, you will have to use PROP_PITCH1_AXIS_SET_EX1 and not the Direct FSUIPC calibration. Which means (to my knowledge), that you can't calibrate the Axis, only reverse it.

Another way to use your Tiller is to use the 1st option in the PMDG Menu (Rudder only) and then assign your Tiller through FSUIPC with DIRECT FSUIPC Calibration.
This way you can calibrate your Tiller axis. The downside is that it does not correctly simulate moving the PMDG 737 Tiller, but basically controls the Rudder.

I use my Warthog Throttle for the tiller with Airliners, and use the Direct FSUIPC calibration. This way i can only use the part of the axis up till the Afterburner detent, calibrate it with a fairly large deadzone in the middle and use slope to smoothly transition the steering. This works quite nice with the DC-6 and the CRJ, but very abrupt in the 737.

Kind Regards,
Andre

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andre92 said:

Unfortunately when you assign this through FSUIPC, you will have to use PROP_PITCH1_AXIS_SET_EX1 and not the Direct FSUIPC calibration. Which means (to my knowledge), that you can't calibrate the Axis, only reverse it.

This is basically correct - the *_EX1 controls don't go through FSUIPC's calibration. However, you can do more than just reverse - you can perform scaling on the axis values (see P41 of the Advanced User guide, section Additional parameters to scale input axis values).

FSUIPC's tiller axis blends rudder and tiller controls and the blending can be controlled by various ini parameters - see the box on page 30 of the User guide for details on how this works. If you don't want to use rudder/tiller blending, then assign directly to the FS tiller control rather than the FSUIPC added one, and scale or reverse as needed.

John

Thanks John,

I played around with the scaling function and did get the axis to work only on the lower part of the throttle. Still need to experiment a bit more with this. I think i prefer the steering tiller function of fsuipc. This way i can set up a fairly large deadzone in the middle, which i prefer.

Have a nice weekend!
Andre