The simFlight Network Forums

737 reversers with a replica throttle console

STEAMENGINE

I have an https://www.fsc.it/Product.aspx?lang=ENG&ID=09bdf24e-194b-4ae6-bec8-40dbb2d8a52b Italian 737 TQ throttle console with proper pull over reverser levers.  They each have an axis which can be seen by FSUICP.  The signal range obtained is somewhat different for reverser 1 and 2.  The potentiometers are driven by a complex linkage which results in something like -14000 > +5200 .  I have used the console before for years on P3D with FSUIPC and got the reversers to work fine.  However, with MSFS and the MSFS PMDG 737 I am struggling.  Unfortunately I have forgotten the exact detail of what worked before..  It is based on setting value threshold on the upward stroke of the reverser lever to begin sending a repeating command to the sim.  I have been trying to use Throttle X Reduce.  on lowering the lever and passing through the threshold on the way down then issuing a Trottle X Cut command.  I am sending this to the SIM and not to FSUIPC.  I don't remember what to do with the variable values: if anything.

What has me baffled is how very touchy is is and that even after getting it set and trying it successfully on the ground before take off; it is forgotten by the time I need reversers on landing.  FSUIPS also forgets my flap settings and spoiler setting.  The throttles usually say set once done.   The console has a Leo Bodnar interface for the 6 axes and 6 switches.  That is all seen ok by FSUIPC7

I ask, are the commands I am using the right ones and does anyone know why FSUIPC7 is so ready to forget the settings?  It is making me crazy.  I have never had a completely successful flight in MSFS with the PMDG 737.

I could bore you all with rig specs.  I will simply say it is an upper end setup with an NVIDIA 3090.  Any specific detail I will answer as asked.  The FSUIPC7 is installed in C drive top level; not in program folders.

5 minutes ago, STEAMENGINE said:

does anyone know why FSUIPC7 is so ready to forget the settings?

FSUIPC does not forget settings. This is just not possible.

7 minutes ago, STEAMENGINE said:

Unfortunately I have forgotten the exact detail of what worked before..

Why, don't you still have P3D and the FSUIPC version that goes with it? If so, just fire it up and take a look at your assignments, or look at the FSUIPC ini file that you use/used with P3D - this will hold your assignments.

10 minutes ago, STEAMENGINE said:

It is based on setting value threshold on the upward stroke of the reverser lever to begin sending a repeating command to the sim.

Yes - this is usually the Throttle Decr control which you send on repeat to reverse once the throttle is in idle, and then you send a Throttle Cut control to stop the reversers.

Please see the following thread for further discussions and details on how to configure reversers for the PMDG 737 in MSFS:

John

22 hours ago, John Dowson said:

FSUIPC does not forget settings. This is just not possible.

OK well I understand what you think.  I am a retired software engineer and it seems to me that FSUIPC7 does unaccountably stop functioning on certain axes after a variable time, sometimes only 30 mins; ie the duration of a shortish flight.  It can be throttles, flaps speed brake or a combination thereof.   I accept that your statement can be correct but what I want is a solution to my problem which I may have incorrectly characterized as forgetting.  Still and all I am a bit discouraged by setting these variable over and over and finding they mysteriously undo.  That is not imagination; you can take that to the bank as a fact.  In these sorts of cases I used to find that something assumed but not mentioned is the culprit.  Possibly I am not doing something I should.

BTW  I did dump the P3D installation and all who sailed in her when MSFS came out.  Big mistake, so I have not been flying for 2 years till the PMDG 737 came out.  I am still trying.   I looked for but did not find documentation for FSUIPC7 and feel a bit uneasy in reverting to what I got with v3.5 which I still do have.

3 hours ago, STEAMENGINE said:

I looked for but did not find documentation for FSUIPC7

If you installed FSUIPC7, then the documentation will be under your Windows Documentation folder. in an FSUIPC7 folder. Please look there.
The location of all files installed is documented in the Installation and Registration manual, which is also included in the zip file you downloaded (as well as in the FSUIPC7 documents folder). I suggest you take a look at that (as well as the README.txt, which is only available in the zip file you downloaded, it is not installed).

it seems to me that FSUIPC7 does unaccountably stop functioning on certain axes after a variable time, sometimes only 30 mins; ie the duration of a shortish flight.  It can be throttles, flaps speed brake or a combination thereof.

Then you need to show me your FSUIPC7.log file when this occurs so that I can take a look, and also show me/attach your FSUIPC7.ini file at the same time.

Still and all I am a bit discouraged by setting these variable over and over and finding they mysteriously undo.  That is not imagination; you can take that to the bank as a fact.  In these sorts of cases I used to find that something assumed but not mentioned is the culprit. 

Something else is going on for sure.
Please also make sure that you have not installed FSUIPC7 in a windows protected folder, such as under your Documents or Program Files folder. Doing so will prevent your settings file from being saved, and can cause such issues.

Next time you experience this issue, exit FSUIPC and attach your FSUIPC7.log and FSUIPC7.ini files here and I will take a look. Also, please make sure you are using the latest version of FSUIPC7, which is v7.3.6.

John