The simFlight Network Forums

Please help me set up my AutoPilot

DJJose

John,

I decided to try to use my GF RP48 to control the AP on my jets.

Can you share with me how to set up a rotary button to rotate the altitude?

There appears to be 4 buttons. Two to the left and two to the right. (Clockwise & Counterclockwise)

Thanks.

Jose

Hello Jose, time ago I considered buying that panel (but then I didn't); it doesn't seem to be compatible with MSFS (you don't specify if you use MSFS but since you are posting on FSUIPC7 forum I suppose so).
Anyway have you seen this video ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M2YrVHU2ew

It seems to be quite comprehensive and step by step guide on how to configure your device.

(but probably you want to use it as a "joystick" device I think)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AlMassimo said:

it doesn't seem to be compatible with MSFS

GF devices are compatible with FSUIPC (all versions) by using the GFDev64.dll driver that we provide.

9 hours ago, DJJose said:

Can you share with me how to set up a rotary button to rotate the altitude?

There appears to be 4 buttons. Two to the left and two to the right. (Clockwise & Counterclockwise)

What problem are you having with this? you assign the slow left button to an altitude decrease control (or offset), the fast left button to the fast altitude decrease control (or offset), the slow right button to the altitude increase control (or offset), and the fast right button to the fast altitude increase control.

The actual controls to assign are dependent on the aircraft you are using (you don't say). It is normal to set this up in your general [Buttons] section (i.e. no profile) using the standard controls for the slow buttons
    Ap Alt Var Inc
    Ap Alt Var Dec
and FSUIPC's add-on controls for the fast buttons:
    Ap Alt Var Inc Fast
    Ap Alt Var Dec Fast
For aircraft where these controls don't work, you need to determine what to use and set up specifically for that aircraft in a profile. This may involve setting the Autopilot Altitude Slot Index, and/or using the Autopilot Altitude Lock Var & Autopilot Altitude Lock Var:3 simvars (via FSUIPC offsets). It all depends on the aircraft.

John

46 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

GF devices are compatible with FSUIPC (all versions) by using the GFDev64.dll driver that we provide.

What problem are you having with this? you assign the slow left button to an altitude decrease control (or offset), the fast left button to the fast altitude decrease control (or offset), the slow right button to the altitude increase control (or offset), and the fast right button to the fast altitude increase control.

The actual controls to assign are dependent on the aircraft you are using (you don't say). It is normal to set this up in your general [Buttons] section (i.e. no profile) using the standard controls for the slow buttons
    Ap Alt Var Inc
    Ap Alt Var Dec
and FSUIPC's add-on controls for the fast buttons:
    Ap Alt Var Inc Fast
    Ap Alt Var Dec Fast
For aircraft where these controls don't work, you need to determine what to use and set up specifically for that aircraft in a profile. This may involve setting the Autopilot Altitude Slot Index, and/or using the Autopilot Altitude Lock Var & Autopilot Altitude Lock Var:3 simvars (via FSUIPC offsets). It all depends on the aircraft.

John

Hi John,

Thank you for the prompt response.

For the last two years I was using FSUIPC7 to only control my GoFlight LGT. I'm still using the FSUIPC version of a year ago because it has worked since day one without any issues.

When I bought the H-Jet I fell in love with it. I don't fly anything else right now because I enjoy it so much.

I got tired of tuning the altitude and speed knobs with the mouse, so I decided to try and use my GoFlight RP48 for knob rotation. I did a little research and found out that  if install FSX I can then use the GoFlight Software to control the GoFlight Modules and they will even light up as illustrated by this video:

I installed FSX and to my surprise, the modules work with the GoFlight software and even light up when I load MSFS.

Most of my assignments work, except the ALT selector & the VSI. I rotate the ALT knob, but the altitude does not change. The airspeed knob works, heading bug, and VOR, but no the ALT knob.

So I'm hoping that I could use FSUIPC to fix the ALT or VSI knobs that are not responding. I'd like to do both. Rotate a know to select an altitude & rotate a knob to selct a rate of climb or decent.

It might not work with the RP48 & MSFS, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

For the alt knob, when I turn it counterclockwise I get two numbers. Same for the right.

Let's say 14 & 15. Which one is for slow rotation and which one should I assign for fast rotation?

Example:

Slow counterclockwise rotation yields a number 14. Assign to FS Control then from the drop down menu choose "Ap Alt Var Dec."

Do I add a parameter? Do I also do this for the bottom?

After the 25 minute mark, this video is an example of what I'd like to do:

I'm only posting this to help others who might want to do what I'm trying to do.

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Let's say 14 & 15. Which one is for slow rotation and which one should I assign for fast rotation?

Rotate slowly, and the slow button should be recognised, rotate fast, and the fast button should be recognised...

Slow counterclockwise rotation yields a number 14. Assign to FS Control then from the drop down menu choose "Ap Alt Var Dec."

Yes.

Do I add a parameter?

No - no parameter needed.

Do I also do this for the bottom?

Not usually for the slow button, as that would fire two slow/small increments. However, some folks like to assign on the release for the fast inc/dec, but this is completely up to you. Try both and see which you prefer.

I'm still using the FSUIPC version of a year ago because it has worked since day one without any issues.

You should really update to the latest version, v7.3.6. There have been many changes and bug fixes, and only the latest FSUIPC7 version is suported (i.e. I will not provide assistance unless you are using the latest version).

After the 25 minute mark, this video is an example of what I'd like to do:

Thats an interesting video - haven't seen that. I will take a look when time permits. Not sure why they have credited that to Pete though, but I'm not bothered by that.

John

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Rotate slowly, and the slow button should be recognised, rotate fast, and the fast button should be recognised...

Yes.

No - no parameter needed.

Not usually for the slow button, as that would fire two slow/small increments. However, some folks like to assign on the release for the fast inc/dec, but this is completely up to you. Try both and see which you prefer.

You should really update to the latest version, v7.3.6. There have been many changes and bug fixes, and only the latest FSUIPC7 version is suported (i.e. I will not provide assistance unless you are using the latest version).

Thats an interesting video - haven't seen that. I will take a look when time permits. Not sure why they have credited that to Pete though, but I'm not bothered by that.

John

Thank you so much for your help.

I will update to the latest version immediately.

I'm glad that the video I posted is one that you have not seen. It's good to know if anyone is spreading disinformation.

Best regards,

Jose

There's an FLC button for flight level change.

There are 3 standard controls for this - from the Controls List for MSFS Build 999.txt document (which will be in your FSUIPC7 documents folder):

67214   FLIGHT_LEVEL_CHANGE
67215   FLIGHT_LEVEL_CHANGE_ON
67216   FLIGHT_LEVEL_CHANGE_OFF

These will be available in the assignment controls drop-down menu. Did you not see them? If they are not there, you have not updated to the latest version, as advised.
You should try them first.

The standard method of determining what control to use - logging. Activate FSUIPC logging for Events, open the logging console (Log->Open Console) and then press the button in the cockpit UI and see what event is logged. If an event is logged, you can assign to that.

However, many MSFS aircraft, especially complex aircraft and add-ons, do not use the standard/provided controls, and you have to use lvars, hvars, or more complex calculator code. This is best achieved by using FSUIPC's preset mechanism, which comes with the presets provided by MobiFlight. Please see the documentation on presets. which can be found in the WASM section in the Advanced User Guide. For a list of available presets, take a look at the community-driven preset list on the MobiFlight Hub-Hob site (https://hubhop.mobiflight.com/presets/) - that has a good search interface where you can see what presets are available for the aircraft that you are using.

And you still haven't said what aircraft you are using. Many MSFS aircraft (complex aircraft and nearly all add-ons) tend to implement there own systems and the controls for the functions vary from aircraft to aircraft. You should say what aircraft you are using for ALL requests on how to control a particular function, otherwise I cannot help. Also try searching this forum for similar requests. Most questions (including this one) have been asked before.

John

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DJJose said:

What is this "fsuipc-lvar-module" for?

Does it need to be in my community folder?

That is used by FSUIPC to access lvars. hvars, calculator code and presets. You need it if you want to use any of those features.

Please read the provided manuals. Details on the WASM module are in the Advanced User guide.

John

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DJJose said:

The rotary not binding with the AP Alt is caused by the H-Jet. In an upcoming update it will be fixed by the developer.

Ok - so you are using the H-jet - would have been useful to mention that earlier...
I suggest you monitor the MF preset website - its a relatively new aircraft, so nothing available for that now (only the H135 and H145), but I am sure things will appear there for this aircraft at some point...

John

2 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Ok - so you are using the H-jet - would have been useful to mention that earlier...

John

On my second post I wrote:

"When I bought the H-Jet I fell in love with it. I don't fly anything else right now because I enjoy it so much."

😀

9 minutes ago, DJJose said:

On my second post I wrote:

"When I bought the H-Jet I fell in love with it. I don't fly anything else right now because I enjoy it so much."

Missed that, sorry. But it should be in your first post, or better still, in the title of your post...

😉