The simFlight Network Forums

Filter for assigning MSFS variables

DCorleone

Hi,

first of all I want to thank you Pete & John for your incredible job regarding FSUIPC!

In the last weeks I've used FSUIPC a lot to get my Virpil stuff working with FSUIPC and MSFS2020. 
So, I've one suggestion I wanted to ask for or at least share with you. 

While assigning buttons to MSFS variables or presets, I had to scroll a lot through the list of controls which was very time consuming. 
My idea: add a search field to the control selection to make things easier :). 

E.g. when searching a variable for Fenix 320 or PMDG737 you would be able to search for these by just typing "737" or the variable's name in the field like "no smoking" and just the matching variables are shown as a result within the list. 

This is just an idea to make things easier, please let me know if I'm wrong or what you or others think about it :). 

Best regards from Austria,
Vito

Screenshot 2022-07-09 092504.png

Hi Vito,

yes. I understand the controls list drop-down is now very large an difficult to find the control you are looking for.
There is currently a search facility on the list, but this only matches to the beginning of the control name, and then the list is positioned at that control name.
What you are asking for is a partial match on this list. But, to do this, every time you type a letter, the whole list would need to be searched/filtered, and a new drop-down menu created to show those items. This would be incredibly inefficient and slow, as well as being overly difficult to implement.

This has been requested many times before, but I don't think the solution you propose is one that can be implemented or used easily.

I am planning to move the recently added preset controls to another menu/checkbox option. This will remove 7000+ options to a separate menu.
To search for options, you are better off using the supplied text list of assignable options - this will be a file in your Documents\FSUIPC7 folder called Controls List for MSFS Build 999.txt. If you open that in an editor you can search for any option, then filter in FSUIPC by entering the name given until you can see it in the available list, then select.

John

Hi John,

many thanks to you for your very fast reply. 
When you already have plans to move the presets to a different menu/checkbox it‘s perfectly fine. Guess this will help a lot and increase usability. 

So, all fine for me :). 
Hope you‘ve a great weekend.

BR, Vito

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 12:10 PM, DCorleone said:

When you already have plans to move the presets to a different menu/checkbox it‘s perfectly fine. Guess this will help a lot and increase usability. 

This functionality is available in the latest beta, v7.3.8b, if you would like to try it, available here:

John