The simFlight Network Forums

Elevator Trim Assignment Issue

Howdy,

I have been using FSUIPC for many years and have never encountered this problem. I'm downright flummoxed.

I own a JetMax 737 and recently upgraded to Prepar3Dv5. I was having some registry issues prior to upgrading to I started completely from scratch. Reloaded Win10, all drivers, etc. Then installed P3Dv5 and began setting up my network, Sim-Avionics, hardware, etc.

Everything was going well until it came to assigning pitch trim to the trim switch on the yoke. I have always used the "Trim Up" and "Trim Down" options from the Drop Down Menu in FSUIPC and have never had any issues.  But this time when I try to trim up it yaws violently to the left and nose down apparently does nothing.  I tried using an Offset (53F4) that was recommended in the JetMax setup instructions but the same occurred. Most recently I tried using a Custom Control (65607, 65615) which apparently commands reverse thrust on Engine #1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Can you go back to your original assignments (i.e. Trim Up/Down), set logging for Buttons & Keys as well as events (non-axis controls) and produce a log file showing your issue. Also, maybe try controlling the trim from the cockpit UI (if possible) to see what happens and what is logged then.
Attach your FSUIPC .log and .ini files and I will take a look.

John 

Hi John,

Thanks for the prompt reply. After my post I reinstalled FSUIPC6 and did not check the “Add XML” option to see if using the .dll made any difference. It did not. I went back to the original “Trim Up,Trim Down” assignments and  “Trim Up” seems to be getting me Reverse Thrust on Engine 1 as mentioned when using the Offset method. I’m away from the sim for the evening but will complete the tasks you requested and send you the files tomorrow.

Cheers!

Dave

Hi John,

Yes. I have controllers disabled in P3D. I suspect the issue may be due to running the JetMax Installer on the P3D computer. The installer asks you to calibrate the axis on the TQ and then write to the P3D/Modules/FSUIPC4.ini file. I was getting a write error for obvious reasons and renamed the FSUIPC6.ini file to FSUIPC4.ini so that the installer could write to it. I then renamed the file and ran P3D. Not sure of I even needed to do this as I was then assigning/calibrating axis in FSUIPC anyway. Also, when running the JetMax Installer the only way I could get it to recognize the JetMax TQ was to disconnect my ACE 737 Yoke until after calibration. So there may be an internal conflict somewhere.

Anyway.  I have attached the .log and .ini files and appreciate your taking the time to look them over.

Thanks,

Dave

FSUIPC6.ini FSUIPC6.log

Hi John,

I believe I figured it out. The darn “Profile Specific” checkbox. Once I made my button presses Profile Specific the trim began working again. I figured it out when I saw that my yoke trim button inputs were being assigned to the JetMax TQ buttons for some reason.

That has been another problem. Both the ACE Yoke and JetMax TQ seem to get confused when trying to assign buttons. Ex. I installed the PilotEdge Client and during the setup while attempting to configure the PTT button, the client would only recognize the JetMax TQ and not the ACE Yoke. So if you have any insight there based on the .ini, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

On 7/15/2022 at 8:51 PM, CallingBarranca said:

The installer asks you to calibrate the axis on the TQ and then write to the P3D/Modules/FSUIPC4.ini file. I was getting a write error for obvious reasons and renamed the FSUIPC6.ini file to FSUIPC4.ini so that the installer could write to it. I then renamed the file and ran P3D.

This is very strange - if it is trying to update an FSUIPC4.ini file, then that implies it is for FSX, not P3D...

On 7/15/2022 at 11:53 PM, CallingBarranca said:

I believe I figured it out. The darn “Profile Specific” checkbox. Once I made my button presses Profile Specific the trim began working again. I figured it out when I saw that my yoke trim button inputs were being assigned to the JetMax TQ buttons for some reason.

Ok. You should change the aircraft names in your profiles to use a substring match, so that all variants are matched. To do this, change:

[Profile.Sim-Avionics]
1=Sim-Avionics 777-200ER
2=Sim-Avionics 737-800

to

[Profile.Sim-Avionics]
1=Sim-Avionics

That will then match all aircraft whose title/name contains "Sim-Avionics".

On 7/15/2022 at 11:53 PM, CallingBarranca said:

That has been another problem. Both the ACE Yoke and JetMax TQ seem to get confused when trying to assign buttons. Ex. I installed the PilotEdge Client and during the setup while attempting to configure the PTT button, the client would only recognize the JetMax TQ and not the ACE Yoke. So if you have any insight there based on the .ini, it would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help with the PilotEdge client, but to prevent problems when your joystick ids change (which can happen), you should switch to using the JoyLetters facility. See the User guide for details, but the easiest way to activate is to just change:

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
0=PFC Rudder Pedals
0.GUID={2789A860-F922-11EC-8001-444553540000}
2=JetMAX 737 Throttle
2.GUID={F25E5F60-F925-11EC-8001-444553540000}
1=737YOKE-LE by ACE
1.GUID={2789CF70-F922-11EC-8002-444553540000}

to

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=Yes
0=PFC Rudder Pedals
0.GUID={2789A860-F922-11EC-8001-444553540000}
2=JetMAX 737 Throttle
2.GUID={F25E5F60-F925-11EC-8001-444553540000}
1=737YOKE-LE by ACE
1.GUID={2789CF70-F922-11EC-8002-444553540000}

If you do this when FSUIPC6 is not running, and then start FSUIPC/P3d, a mapping of letters to joystick ids will be added, and your assignments will be switched to using the letters/characters rather than the using the ids directly. This will prevent issues if/when they change.

John

• 2 weeks later...