The simFlight Network Forums

Can't send keys to WideClient using KeySend

Rob_b

Hi,

For several years I succesfully used the KeySend command in FSUIPC6 to control the PTT key in Pilot2ATC using P3D.

I've now been trying to make it work in MSFS2020 with FSUIPC7 but with no luck.

I'm using the same computers so I know that is not the problem. WideClient connects but does not seem to receive the KeySend commands. Pilot2ATC connects ok.

The same WideClient is used for both sims.

I am using FSUIPC7 V7.3.7 and WideFS7.

There must be something simple I am missing but can't find it in any documentation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Rob

WideClient.ini FSUIPC7.ini

You have a button assigned to send a keypress (Del), and a key assignment on Del for WideFS KeySend. So, how are you sending the key to wideFS? If you press Del, does that work? The key Del key sent when pressing the button will be ignored when received again by FSUIPC (it does not act in key presses/release it sends). So, if you want the key sent on the button press, assign the button press (and maybe release) directly to the WideFS KeySend control.

Any further issues, also be show me your FSUIPC7.log and WideServer.log files, with logging activated for Buttons & keys as well as Events.

John

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue. I'm not sure where I am going wrong or what I need to assign to make it work correctly. I'm using a P2ATC on a client using WideFS.

In Wideclient.ini I have the following:

[User]

UseSendInput=Yes
KeySend110=112,16 ; F1 Press   PTT for P2A
KeySend111=112,24 ; F1 Release PTT for P2A
KeySend112=121,16 ; F10 Press   Sayit for P2A
KeySend113=121,24 ; F10 Release Sayit for P2A

In FSUIPC7 I have the following Yoke button mapped:

[Profile.PROSIM MSFS]
1=PROSIM MSFS
2=Prosim_B738 2023 KLM - Scimitar Winglets
[Buttons.PROSIM MSFS]
0=RA,32,C1006,1     -{KEYSEND 1 for WideFS}-
1=UA,32,C1006,2     -{KEYSEND 2 for WideFS}-
2=RA,36,C1006,1     -{KEYSEND 1 for WideFS}-
3=UA,36,C1006,2     -{KEYSEND 2 for WideFS}-

The key presses are not being sent to the client. If I press F1 on the client keyboard PTT works, however the Joystick button on the server does not send to the client. I haven't been able to get F10 to work even from the client keyboard. What are the correct command lines to have the Joy button send the keypress to the client. I can't seem to find keysend info in the manuals and my 10 day P2ATC trial is running out. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

1 hour ago, burdman said:

0=RA,32,C1006,1     -{KEYSEND 1 for WideFS}-
2=RA,36,C1006,1     -{KEYSEND 1 for WideFS}-
3=UA,36,C1006,2     -{KEYSEND 2 for WideFS}-

You are sending keysend numbers 1 and 2

KeySend110=112,16 ; F1 Press   PTT for P2A
KeySend111=112,24 ; F1 Release PTT for P2A
KeySend112=121,16 ; F10 Press   Sayit for P2A
KeySend113=121,24 ; F10 Release Sayit for P2A

But are looking for keysend numbers 110, 111, 112 and 113.

You need to use
    KeySend1=...
    KeySend2=...

And you should use different keysend numbers (i.e. 3 and 4) for the buttons used for SayIt. So, try

0=PA,32,C1006,1     -{KEYSEND 1 for WideFS}-
2=PA,36,C1006,3     -{KEYSEND 3 for WideFS}-
3=UA,36,C1006,4     -{KEYSEND 4 for WideFS}-

(I also changed repeat R to a press P - do you really need repeat?) and

KeySend1=112,16 ; F1 Press   PTT for P2A
KeySend2=112,24 ; F1 Release PTT for P2A
KeySend3=121,16 ; F10 Press   Sayit for P2A
KeySend4=121,24 ; F10 Release Sayit for P2A

Edited by John Dowson
Changed Repeat R to press P

Hi John,

Thanks for your help but unfortunately it is still not working. I'm going to enclose some logs in hopes you may see what's holding back the keysends. When I press F1 on the client,  the PPT activates. Pressing F10 does not activate Sayit.  Both are set and enabled in P2A. When I use the yoke button I can see it activating a display edit on my MIP instead of the PTT on the client. I don't think it's a firewall because P2A and other Prosim modules connect to the server with no issues.

Thanks for your time,

Ed

EDIT:  Hi John. Somehow I got the PTT sending to my client. I think it may have been network issues ..but of course I had the button info all wrong at first until you offered corrections. I have a much better understanding of keysend now. For anyone following this thread, I checked that all sharing was proper on the P2A install. I also set 'Run as Administrator' and this last item may have been what finally got the key sending. Please  consider my issue solved.  I am editing this post this evening so as you don't spend more time on this. Thanks for your time and your help, I really appreciate and I do know how busy you must be.

Kind Regards.. Ed

WideClient.ini WideClient.log FSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.inic

Edited by burdman
Add additional information.

Your version of FSUIPC7 is very old - 7.2.0 from June 2021. The latest and only supported version is 7.3.21 - please update before anything else.
Your WideClient also needs updating - you are using version 6.999 and the latest version is 7.160.

Please always make sure that FSUIPC7 is no longer running before you attach;log files. Can you also please activate logging in FSUIPC7 for Buttons & Keys.
Also, in your WideClient.ini this line:
   Log=Errors+
should be in your [User] section but is currently under your [Sounds] section - please correct this as well.

Note also that you are using
    UseSendInput=Yes
which is documented as:

If this is set to Yes, then for all undirected KeySend key presses, WideClient uses the Windows SendInput method. This cannot be directed—whichever program has the focus at the time will receive the keystrokes. But it has the advantage that it can provide something that can be detected by programs using keyboard scanning rather than processing Windows messages.

So you must make sure that P2A has the focus when using this method. You can try this, but it would be better to direct the key stokes to P2A instead - see the section Directing Key Strokes more precisely in the WideFS Technical manual on how to do this.

Note you also have an error in the first line of one of your lua scripts:

155937 *** LUA Error: C:\FSUIPC7\ProSim-doors.lua:1: unexpected symbol

Please correct all of the above and try again, and any issues please re-send thise files, with the additional logging enabled, and also please attach your WideServer.log file (from the server).

John

Hi John,

I still cannot get keysends to work. I did have PTT sending to C3 but the next day it stopped working..for reasons I am not sure of. I have updated FSUIPC7 on server and WiideFS7 on  both clients. P2A resides on Client C3 (Cockpit3). I activated button logging for the enclosed logs. I also moved the Log=Errors+ to the [Users] section. The Doors Lua error I haven't had a chance yet to work on. I tried UseSendInput=Yes and also with No but I didn't notice any difference. I am enclosing all the logs you asked for, and I'm hoping your trained eye might spot something amiss. It seems to appear that the client is receiving the button sends but isn't acting upon them.

Best Regards,

Ed

WideServer.log FSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.ini WideClient.ini WideClient.log

Can you please change the logging in your WideClient.ini under [User] to
     Log=KeySend
and show me your files again please. Also make sure that the files are all from the same session - the last ones toy posted seem to be from different dates:
WideClient.log:

Date (dmy): 13/07/23, Time 17:54:53.130: Client name is COCKPIT3

WideServer.log:

Date (dmy): 14/07/23, Time 10:47:09.947: Server name is COCKPIT1

Also, please make sure that WideClient is being ran with the same permissions as your WideClient clients - if any require being ran with admin privileges, then all must be ran with admin privileges. Better to run everything with standard privileges if possible.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:38 PM, Rob_b said:

For several years I succesfully used the KeySend command in FSUIPC6 to control the PTT key in Pilot2ATC using P3D.

I've now been trying to make it work in MSFS2020 with FSUIPC7 but with no luck.

I'm using the same computers so I know that is not the problem. WideClient connects but does not seem to receive the KeySend commands. Pilot2ATC connects ok.

The same WideClient is used for both sims.

I am using FSUIPC7 V7.3.7 and WideFS7.

There must be something simple I am missing but can't find it in any documentation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Rob

If you want to troubleshoot the issue with Key Send command in FSUIPC7 and Pilot2ATC you just need to ensure you have the latest versions of FSUIPC7 and WideFS7, double-check the configurations of FSUIPC7 and WideFS7, confirm a stable connection between Wide Client and FSUIPC7, verify Pilot2ATC is configured to receive PTT key commands, test Key Send command with other functions in MSFS2020, After doing trouble shoot I think your problem will be solved.

Good Morning John,

Thanks for your time on this. My Pilot2ATC Trial has expired and I'm not keen on purchasing at this time as I haven't yet achieved satisfactory results and it's quite pricey software. Free trial gave me a nice idea of how it works though.

In the meantime I'm going to find something else on the same client that will react to a keysend from a button press on the server. I'll get things setup as per the items in your last post and then report back my findings.

Kind Regards,

Ed