The simFlight Network Forums

Widefs7 client pc - strange boxes on screen

Sky Blue Flyer

I'm getting unwanted empty coloured rectangular boxes on my Widefs7 client pc screen when I'm connected to the server. Screenshot image  attached together with initial and log files.

Setup is FSUIPC7 (MSFS) server + Widefs7 Client pc.

Widefs7 connects in the dialogue box then the boxes appear after 2/3 seconds.

How do I remove them and restore the std Widefs7 dialogue box please. They fill up the whole client screen and I have to kill the service to close it.

Thanks

20221129_132743.jpg.75272e11164dcfd573f316ab5db39aa8.jpg

WideServer.log WideClient.log WideClient.ini FSUIPC7.log FSUIPC7.ini

First, your FSUIPC is version 7.3.11 - the latest version is 7.3.15 - please update.

56 minutes ago, Sky Blue Flyer said:

I'm getting unwanted empty coloured rectangular boxes on my Widefs7 client pc screen when I'm connected to the server. Screenshot image  attached together with initial and log files.

I am not sure what is causing that... is the WideClient still visible/available - i.e. can you see the WideClient window by using the task bar icon?

Your WideClient.log file shows that you have one client application running/connected:

9609 New Client Application: "SPAD" (Id=10184)

Could it be that application that is causing this? Could you try without running SPAD to see if that is the cause?

Btw, FYI you can also run FSUIPC7 on your client machine - see the Appendix in the Advanced User Guide for details in how to do this. This doesn't provide the exactly same functionality as WideClient, or as running FSUIPC7 on the server machine, but is an alternative solution to using a client PC with MSFS.

John

Thanks for the prompt reply John.

I will update to the latest version of FSUIPC7 as you suggest.

I am running mobiflight on the client connecting all of my cockpit hardware to tge msfs server together with spad.next so that I can use logitech devices during the build transition so would want fsuipc on the msfs server.

I have tried installing widefs7 on other client pc's that are running cockpit fixed views using WidevieW. I get exactly the same strange boxes on those pc's too. I did turn off WidevieW on the server but that didn't make any difference.

I'll keep trying different server addon combinations to see if that makes a difference. Intriguing indeed.

Yes, intriguing - but I can't see how it can be WideClient itself doing this, as it does nothing at all with displays/windows, unless using the button screen facility, which you are not.

Did you check the task bar, as suggested, to see if the WideClient window is still available (i.e. hover over the icon with a mouse) and if it can be brought to the front?
Or when WideClient is started, move it to the part if the screen still visible before it connects to FSUIPC7 - if you do this, fo you still see the WideClient main window?
( it is very difficult to see what is actually happening as the image you attached is so small!)

1 hour ago, Sky Blue Flyer said:

I have tried installing widefs7 on other client pc's that are running cockpit fixed views using WidevieW. I get exactly the same strange boxes on those pc's too. I did turn off WidevieW on the server but that didn't make any difference.

Ah, so you are using WideVieW...I would certainly look into this as a cause...can you test again with no trace of this running in either the server or clients?
Maybe also see if you can figure out what is creating that window, using either the Task Manager or maybe Process Explorer.

John

14 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Yes, intriguing - but I can't see how it can be WideClient itself doing this, as it does nothing at all with displays/windows, unless using the button screen facility, which you are not.

Did you check the task bar, as suggested, to see if the WideClient window is still available (i.e. hover over the icon with a mouse) and if it can be brought to the front?
Or when WideClient is started, move it to the part if the screen still visible before it connects to FSUIPC7 - if you do this, fo you still see the WideClient main window?
( it is very difficult to see what is actually happening as the image you attached is so small!)

Ah, so you are using WideVieW...I would certainly look into this as a cause...can you test again with no trace of this running in either the server or clients?
Maybe also see if you can figure out what is creating that window, using either the Task Manager or maybe Process Explorer.

John

Yes if I move the Wideclient away from the screen area occupied by the boxes before they appear, I can then see it on screen after they appear, so it is manageable.

I did a little more testing John. With no other addons running (i.e. Spad.next),  with MSFS started without launching WidevieW and not ready to fly with Wideclient open and not connected there are no boxes. When I select an aircraft and move to ready to fly Wideclient connects and then the boxes appear a few seconds after connecting. I can work around it so it doesnt affect anything but it would be nice to understand what and why.

On another topic John, I am trying to turn on the lights of my ProSim737 aircraft on my 2 forward cockpit view MSFS IG client pc's. These are time and position sync'd using WidevieW which works well. It is extremely unlikely that WidevieW itself can or could in the future do this from the serving aircraft. I have contacted Lapi who produced the ProSim737 flight model who has confirmed that the FM lights are LVAR driven. I understand from him that lvars are not network capable on their own. He did indicate that fsuipc has full lvar capability but was unsure if Wideserver was capable of transmitting them and suggested asking yourself. If so, then according to Lapi we are in business. This is all beyond my capability but I thought I would ask the question. 

I can work around it so it doesnt affect anything but it would be nice to understand what and why.

Yes...did you try and determine the program/process that  owns this window, as advised? That would be helpful (if it has an owner...)

He did indicate that fsuipc has full lvar capability but was unsure if Wideserver was capable of transmitting them and suggested asking yourself. If so, then according to Lapi we are in business. This is all beyond my capability but I thought I would ask the question. 

Not sure what WideServer has to do with this...FSUIPC handles lvars through the FSUIPC WASM module. You can add an lvar to a free FSUIPC offset and treat it like any other FSUIPC offset - read its value or write to it to update the lvar, or you can use the lua facilities for lvar handling (or macros).

John 

8 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Yes...did you try and determine the program/process that  owns this window, as advised? That would be helpful (if it has an owner...)

Not sure what WideServer has to do with this...FSUIPC handles lvars through the FSUIPC WASM module. You can add an lvar to a free FSUIPC offset and treat it like any other FSUIPC offset - read its value or write to it to update the lvar, or you can use the lua facilities for lvar handling (or macros).

John 

Thanks John. I will feed back to Lapi.

Sorry I didn't get chance to check if there is a process/program owner for the rogue window. Will have a look this evening.

You could also try using Alt+Tab to see all windows and select each one in turn - that should also show you what program that window belongs to...
Are you tunning any lua scripts in WideClient, i.e. are there any .lua scripts in the WideClient folder? If so, you could also try disabling them to see if they are the cause. There will also be a log file for each lua running, so you could also check those.

John

14 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

You could also try using Alt+Tab to see all windows and select each one in turn - that should also show you what program that window belongs to...
Are you tunning any lua scripts in WideClient, i.e. are there any .lua scripts in the WideClient folder? If so, you could also try disabling them to see if they are the cause. There will also be a log file for each lua running, so you could also check those.

John

Ok John. Thanks for the suggestions. I will give those a try and report back. I believe there are some lua scripts in the Wideclient root folder so will disable those. 

21 hours ago, Sky Blue Flyer said:

Ok John. Thanks for the suggestions. I will give those a try and report back. I believe there are some lua scripts in the Wideclient root folder so will disable those. 

You were correct John, it was indeed the default lua scripts in the Wideclient root folder that were causing the screen anomaly. I had inadvertently extracted them to the root. Once they were removed all was well.

Thanks for your help.