The simFlight Network Forums

f/a-18 nose wheel steering

skipjack

10 minutes ago, skipjack said:

Hi i found how to assign a switch to "nose wheel steering " in FUIPC7 for the F/A-18 (in MSFS) but it just turns off the HUD of NWS is there a way to toggle this on/off?

Then you haven't found a way to assign a switch to "nose wheel steering"! What is your assignment? It would help if you attach your FSUIPC7.ini file as well as your FSYUPC7.log file showinf the assignment triggered (i.e. with logging for Events activated)...

What exactly is your question? Is this about nose wheel steering  (this axis is not available in FSUIPC7 for assignments at the moment as it has not been made available via the MSFS SDK) or about toggling the "HUD of NWS" on/off? Please clarify....and what is "NWS"?

Note that I am on holiday from now until the 3rd January but I can look into this when I have some free time if you provide more information...

John

Hi John, Since you can't steer the FA-18 very well on the ground unless you push the  nose wheel steering switch (located on the backside of the FA-18 control stick) and then you will notice NWS letters appearing in the HUD and you will be able to steer the FA18. What I wanted to do was find a way to assign one of my CH Eclipse controller  buttons  to activate the nose wheel switch  using an assignment from FSUIPC7 but I don't see anything inFSUIPC7 that will accomplish this. Any way please enjoy your holiday and get back to me after you return . Thank You Rich

FSUIPC7.ini FSUIPC7.log

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 8:39 PM, skipjack said:

Since you can't steer the FA-18 very well on the ground unless you push the  nose wheel steering switch (located on the backside of the FA-18 control stick) and then you will notice NWS letters appearing in the HUD and you will be able to steer the FA18.

Ok, that makes sense.... However, I still can't locate that button - the only operative buttons I can see on the stick/yoke is for Paddle Switch (and a pitch/aileron trim control).
Maybe you could take a screenshot to show me where this is?

You can also try the general method of determining what event to use. Activate logging for Events (Log -> Events), open the logging console (Log -> Open Console) and then push the nose wheel steering switch and see if any event is logged in the console. If so, you can use that.
If not, the next thing to try is lvars. Looking at the lvars for the FA-18, the following may be applicable:
    FA18_DDI_STEERING_SOURCE 
    FA18_IS_STEERING_COUPLED 
See how the value of those lvars change when you push/toggle the nose wheel steering (using Add-ons -> WASM -> List Lvars). If one (or both) of those change, then you can try changing those to see if they can be used. First try using the Add-ons - WASM -> Set Lvar... function, and if that works, you can then use those either via a macro, a lua script or by adding them to FSUIPC offsets - I can help with this if needed.

John

John thank you for your help. The above post worked out well. I couldn't assign anything to my ch eclipse controller since all buttons are used but I use two keys ( [ ] )on the keyboard and it toggles perfectly.   Best to you and your farther Rich